South Sydney FAD MahiMahi & Trolling Jibbon

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

haha, another report from me 😂 

Thursday 17-3-22

Note: anyone fishing South Sydney FAD. One fad has gone awol and the second is 1nm south of where it used to be. New coordinates on pic below.

Weather was looking the goods, so decided to head out to south Sydney FAD for some Mahi. Blue water about 3/4 the way out. FAD wasn’t where it’s supposed to be - saw the shine of another boat to the south so headed over.

They were using live bait, saw them catch a few fish early on. I skipped getting live bait and was just using salted bonito strips. Only had 2 hits, second was the fish caught. Fish were about early on, but when a few other boats came by, they were totally off the bite.

headed back in trolling some skirts - for nothing. 

Reached the cliffs and trolled past jibbon bommie a few times. Landed 1 x Mack Tuna, 1 x Bonito & 1 x Tailor

vids (one mash up and one raw video catching the dolly) + pics attached.

Here’s the dolly video - raw with sound

here’s the mash up video of the whole days fishing

heres the photos

3F8D8B85-C954-488E-A2DC-3E86080C436F.jpeg.9b07f334cdf22ec50e7d9f5b5d29657f.jpeg
69AB36CF-AF4B-4811-8BE1-B74D07237B43.jpeg.a7abbbeaa031a0239845dfeb78cd98ed.jpeg

heres the new South Sydney FAD coordinates

second image shows the distance south that it’s travelled from where it used to be.

BF8C1FBC-3359-4A0F-9655-7A0C4846B3E5.thumb.jpeg.76c9c1b38feca3316628f447724edf23.jpeg

2FF8B928-A292-46FD-81F9-B25DCA545CA3.thumb.png.a69b4d69d3aacc6246b7edd28f250e80.png

• Like 14

8 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great work ... keep the reports coming ... I need this hit frequently to survive the boatless period ... Yes I am an addict!

Cheers Zoran

Haha, it’s a bit like that isnt it. 
bet your gear is all prepped and ready to go!

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Another great report and love that Dollie (had to think of a better eating fish).

Thanks pickles. A nice crumb coating goes down a charm.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

Nice diverse bag of fish there mate. This morning was real nice on the water conditions wise

thanks restyle. Trying to take advantage of the warm water species while I can. 

no wind and low swells outside, so must of been glassy out there on the hacking this morning.

13 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great work ... keep the reports coming ... I need this hit frequently to survive the boatless period ... Yes I am an addict!

Cheers Zoran

Think how much $$$ your saving.Another week or two without a boat you'll be able to buy a house in Sydney for cash.

Great work and loved the video Larkin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Think how much $$$ your saving.Another week or two without a boat you'll be able to buy a house in Sydney for cash.

Great work and loved the video Larkin.

👍

6 hours ago, jenno64 said:

You are on fire Larkin, top bag💪🏼

👍 trying to get out onto the warm water species while they’re about.

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Second best for Dollies after live bait is Pilchards, always have a block when heading to the FAD.

I had some, but should have taken a lot more.  I chummed multiple times about 50m upside of the drift so they’d float down along the FAD and bring the fish on the bite.

last time it worked much better - all the fish I had caught/gutted were full of pillies as well as some other small round shaped fish with spots.

One "trick" I have used for years is, cut up some Pilchards and troll some small lures towards the FAD, as the boat passes (out to the side) toss the cut Pilchards in, you will have to get the timing right, so when the lures are at the FAD, the cut Pilchards have burlyed the Dollies out, just as the lures pass the "zone", works really well!

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, noelm said:

One "trick" I have used for years is, cut up some Pilchards and troll some small lures towards the FAD, as the boat passes (out to the side) toss the cut Pilchards in, you will have to get the timing right, so when the lures are at the FAD, the cut Pilchards have burlyed the Dollies out, just as the lures pass the "zone", works really well!

I’ve seen the charter boats doing this. 
Will give it a crack on the next visit. 👍 

On 3/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Welster said:

Great report.  Its good to see some FAD reports.  Thanks

Thanks Welster. Hate for someone to head all the way out there and not be able to find the fad. 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Great catch, videos and photos there @Larkin. You showed great restraint in not using any choice language when your hardbody's trebles fouled your net 🤣

Always think that dollies are a marvellous fish.

Haha, yeah I was cursing inside. Those trebles can be a pain to get out of a net.

Agree with you on the Dollie’s - imo the most beautiful fish in the ocean.

• Like 1