Port Hacking again

Yowie

Considering that the weather forecast is not looking good after today, I headed out early to Yowie Bay again, though it was a slow trip dodging the logs, sticks, weed patches. Still hooked up to a few objects, so had to clear the prop a few times.

Water is a very murky brown colour, cannot see the fish until it is splashing on the surface. A salted bonnie fillet from Saturday proved the best bait, salted tailor strips or pillies not as good.

Enough fish for a couple of feeds. Also released a trev in the high 30's. I lobbed out a little bit of pillie on my whiting rod towards the shallows and hooked up to a jewie, somewhere between the 45 and 50cm mark. Put up a good fight on the whiting gear. The bites were slow, with the odd small reddie taking some baits.

I headed for home, and as I passed the mouth of Burraneer Bay, there were fish busting up. Salmon again. I pulled out 4, the biggest nearing 55cm, and left them biting. All salmon released.

Good luck to those venturing out later, it will become windy and wet.

fish.jpeg.347_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Decent feed compared to the quality of the water at the moment, well done Yowie.

Thank you. Different today, all decent bites stay hooked up and not dropping off like 2 days ago.

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Nice stuff despite water conditions. Least you are local enough 😁

Not too far to travel to have a fish.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Good work mate.Water must look like a mineral spring.🤣😂

Mineral spring, it looks more like dunny water.  :074:

43 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Good feed.

Well done.

Thank you, something for my effort.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Well done 👍 good couple of feeds for your effort.

High winds and 4m swells forecast for later on in the week. Smart move getting out there today.

Thank you.

The weather was looking good for early this week, but now the forecast is quite a bit different.

The wife wonders why I am on the weather bureau site so often, it is so I can plan my fishing outings. 🤣

Good idea to head out now over any other day over the next 5 days it looks like. I was going to go out aswell but work had other plans. The weather was auctually better then predicted for a change.

Plenty of kings about in gunnamatta though, most of which are legal, had a mate pull out a 84cm king at the baths last week with 65-70cm models still around in numbers. Dont think they will be hanging around for much longer

2 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Good idea to head out now over any other day over the next 5 days it looks like. I was going to go out aswell but work had other plans. The weather was auctually better then predicted for a change.

Plenty of kings about in gunnamatta though, most of which are legal, had a mate pull out a 84cm king at the baths last week with 65-70cm models still around in numbers. Dont think they will be hanging around for much longer

Surprising they are in numbers considering the dirty water, and legal ones at that in Gunnamatta.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

@Restyle haha, was this the fish…

5669031E-8734-4049-8DC5-E0209B5A95E5.jpeg.1fdeed0b7dae2c7323bb8054a966505b.jpeg

you go down there at all?

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

@Restyle haha, was this the fish…

5669031E-8734-4049-8DC5-E0209B5A95E5.jpeg.1fdeed0b7dae2c7323bb8054a966505b.jpeg

you go down there at all?

I don't go off the baths much and I haven't had a chance to fish the drop off there yet on the kayak, the fish was caught I think last Thursday and from the pic I seen it looks to be the same fish, just as fat.

so, seeing that you might of gotten the pic, who really caught the fish AHAH

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work again Yowie! Always interesting to see what you have on the mat! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thank you Scratchie.

Not a lot to catch, but better than a wet bum and no fish.

Around this time of year, there are normally a few pannies to be caught but the continuous fresh run-off and dirty water has scared them off.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Thank you Scratchie.

Not a lot to catch, but better than a wet bum and no fish.

Around this time of year, there are normally a few pannies to be caught but the continuous fresh run-off and dirty water has scared them off.

Yeah the reds were scarce yesterday for us too! Mick scored a nice one and got dusted by one but the bites were few and far between. They obviously don’t like that fresh water! 

33 minutes ago, Restyle said:

I don't go off the baths much and I haven't had a chance to fish the drop off there yet on the kayak, the fish was caught I think last Thursday and from the pic I seen it looks to be the same fish, just as fat.

so, seeing that you might of gotten the pic, who really caught the fish AHAH

I was there both on Thursday and Friday. Was a bit of a local hush hush as the kings were on fire over the two days. I saw at least 7 fish between 80cm - 95cm landed. Was some of the best land based action I’ve seen in a long time.

my wife landed 2 small kings (her first 2) around 50cm and also hooked up to one of those big ones over 80 - after 2mins of screaming reel, snapped off - all on a 12lb bream rod with a size 1 long shank lol - she was catching my yellowtails. My live bait rod got a good hit but no connect.

that 84cm fish was caught by a young guy (your mate) on Thursday around midday - fought that fish beautifully - up and down the length of the wharf twice before one of his party climbed down the ladder and tail lifted it up.

I have some crazy videos of the two days.

9 minutes ago, Larkin said:

I was there both on Thursday and Friday. Was a bit of a local hush hush as the kings were on fire over the two days. I saw at least 7 fish between 80cm - 95cm landed. Was some of the best land based action I’ve seen in a long time.

my wife landed 2 small kings (her first 2) around 50cm and also hooked up to one of those big ones over 80 - after 2mins of screaming reel, snapped off - all on a 12lb bream rod with a size 1 long shank lol - she was catching my yellowtails. My live bait rod got a good hit but no connect.

that 84cm fish was caught by a young guy (your mate) on Thursday around midday - fought that fish beautifully - up and down the length of the wharf twice before one of his party climbed down the ladder and tail lifted it up.

I have some crazy videos of the two days.

quality fish, especially from land. a 95cm fish from land is pretty unheard of. Shame i was working both days haha 

I always enjoy reading your posts Yowie. Of course I have no idea where these places you speak of are, so I conjure up mental images of the area and you out there (solo) battling the elements. I'm always impressed by your success rate...maybe you don't post any fishless experiences, better still, you probably don't have any.

Always good to have a feed of fresh fish, alas I very seldom have the heart to kill Murray Cod...they are just too beautiful.

Keep up the good work, whenever the weather permits you to continue doing it.

Tight lines, bn

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

I always enjoy reading your posts Yowie. Of course I have no idea where these places you speak of are, so I conjure up mental images of the area and you out there (solo) battling the elements. I'm always impressed by your success rate...maybe you don't post any fishless experiences, better still, you probably don't have any.

Always good to have a feed of fresh fish, alas I very seldom have the heart to kill Murray Cod...they are just too beautiful.

Keep up the good work, whenever the weather permits you to continue doing it.

Tight lines, bn

The southern side of Port Hacking faces the Royal National Park, so not too many houses along there until the eastern end where there are the villages of Maianbar and Bundeena. Plenty of trees and wildlife to see, then south of there are coastal hikes to do.

If I have a poor day, which does happen very occasionally, I usually don't bother with a report, unless something of interest to say.

13 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Well done Yowie 

you’re keeping the fish on their toes (tails) just being out there!

nice fillets!

Thank you. A couple of feeds to bring home.

As a side issue, 2 nights ago I was preparing dinner and cut off the top of a finger, but not the nail. Less than 1 cm across. Have to keep it dry so that will bugger up the fishing for a little while. :1taz:

23 minutes ago, Yowie said:

As a side issue, 2 nights ago I was preparing dinner and cut off the top of a finger, but not the nail. Less than 1 cm across. Have to keep it dry so that will bugger up the fishing for a little while. :1taz:

That's no good Yowie. Hope it heals up quickly and properly. bn

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Ouchh, hope that heals up soon so you can back on the action with the had lines. My sister has cut the top of her pinky of with a mandolin and it wasn't pretty.

• Sad 1