Who Uses What

the skipper

Unless the weather is really violent like it has been lately I virtually look out my window and IF it looks OK I go down to the ramp and have another look. If it's blowing too hard I drive home.

Frank

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I quite like Willy weather because the tide predictions are location specific. Apart from that, the bom is great for the radar and forecasts.

All tide charts/predictions are for specific areas, they have either seperate times for each location, or the time differences at different places.

Willyweather here too for planning and then looking out the window as well.

If I can, I go down to the coast the day before and compare what I see to their forecast as well.

BOM radar for rain is a good tool too.

I guess to look at it realistically, the weather prediction (remember it's only a prediction) means different things depending on what you intend to do. Let's say for me going crabbing, unless some kind of gale is forecast, I am pretty protected from "normal" wind, and I am only out a couple of hours, but if I was going (say) to the shelf, then a better full day forecast is more important (if you get what I mean) certain wind direction might not influence your trip, because what you plan to do might be completely sheltered.

3 hours ago, the skipper said:

Good morning to all Raiders,

For years I have been using Willy Weather for forecasts etc can I ask what others use and how accurate you find them to be .

The Skipper

Download the Deckee App. It is free and has almost everything covered for weather, boating, fishing.

The Deckee boating app is officially endorsed by a growing list of governments and authorities. It is recommended by maritime authorities in Australia and internationally in USA.

Raiders, check out the new Float Plan https://deckee.com/blog/float-plan-is-now-available-on-deckee 

Western Australia uses it as the state app https://deckee.com/blog/deckee-temporary-notices-to-mariners-western-australia 

Have a look at it - there are some exciting and useful things in the future for boaters and anglers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Deckee is the combination of WillyWeather and the Bom in one site! Get the best of both worlds plus all the other features! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Haven't tried Deckee yet (just waiting for the criticism), but forgot to mention I will use the BOM rain radars

I usually check these apps - found them to be the most accurate and I get a good all round report.

Seabreeze app for swell and wave period information/predictions 

windy app for wind predictions (most accurate wind predictions)

google weather for the daily rain forecast

wanda beach & north Cronulla beach live surf cams on the Sutherland shire website - as I fish port hacking/bate bay.

Thanks for a great post - I have the Deckee app on my phone - it has been invaluable in these weather events with warnings etc which is invaluable. However I cannot find the radar on Deckee which is imperative for my work & of course fishing (should I ever make the time to go) Consequently I use both and when in the office lately I have the bom on all the time.

Am I missing something on the Deckee app??!!

On 4/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, Hoods said:

Thanks for a great post - I have the Deckee app on my phone - it has been invaluable in these weather events with warnings etc which is invaluable. However I cannot find the radar on Deckee which is imperative for my work & of course fishing (should I ever make the time to go) Consequently I use both and when in the office lately I have the bom on all the time.

Am I missing something on the Deckee app??!!

No mate, they haven’t attached the radar just yet! I’m sure it will be added in the near future 🤙

• Thanks 1