Winter

HawkesburyParadise

Some fish, particularly pelagics migrate north with the receding warm water.  Some move offshore to deeper water while others such as john dory and hairtail move in toward the estuaries.  The trick is to change your target fish to fit.  Some of the best to chase are luderick, drummer, john dory, hairtail.if you know the spots, winter is big whiting time but my fave target in winter is squid.  There is always flathead if you change your tactics to suit, as well as mulloway if you put in the time.  Clearer water (if the rain ever stops) requires lighter lines and leaders and fish like flathead will bight less aggressively.   Adjust and you will still find fun and a feed.  Ron 

• Like 1

Now is the prime time for outside Snapper. Cuttlefish are breeding and the male dies after mating so the Snapper and other species gorge themselves on the dead Cuttlefish, and unlike other seasons they become LIKE Tailor and feed till their full then spew up what they have in their stomachs so they can eat more. I have caught most of my better Snapper at this time of year going till middle of Winter.

The main reason you don't hear of as many reports of good fishing is because US the fisher persons shut down during winter, NOT so much the fish.

Most boat fishers lock their boat down during winter.

Frank

• Like 2

You don't see as many Cuttlefish floating around like the "old days" there's still some, but not many, no idea why! It was common to see a dozen or more each trip, my mate and I used to scoop up a few, then anchor in our "secret" spot, tie the Cuttlefish to some cord and let it float way out behind the boat in the current, once the birds started picking them to bits, the Snapper were close behind. Bait up with some Cuttlefish and let you bait just float off in the current and wait for a big Snapper to grab your bait......great fishing.

• Like 1

If you fish the Hawkesbury and do not mind the cold and night fishing you can target Hairtail in Smiths Creek / Coal Candle Creek or Jerusalem Bay - the best time to go is when there is no moon or wind and use gang hooks and float 1/2 meters below the surface.

image.png.03bf77f080ff9a7961247f7327ad2d82.png

• Thanks 1