Jewie mission (number 20+). Everything but....

humesy

Hello,

My first report in a long time. Really only posting to get some feedback from any Raiders that regularly fish for jew from the beach, over the past year.

Last night I hit a local (Newcastle) beach at about 4. Overcast and warm, with no good gutters but deep water within casting range. Started with a bronzie, caught a perfect sized tailor for a livie. He got chomped in half. Went on to catch a large salmon, a banjo, shovel-nose and lost a big ray. Lots of action but no jewie.

I would have put in at least 20 trips over the last 8 months (since returning to Australia) and have not cracked a single jew. I am no gun but I do know what I am doing. Has anyone else struggled this year. I am starting to contemplate bad excuses like la nina being bad for beach jewie fishing. A few of the locals have been saying it has been very slow for jew. 

PS, my last trip, the tailor were thick and this has normally been a good sign. Threw out lots of beautiful fresh fillets, but you know how it went ....

Cheers

• Like 3

Keep trying @humesy, perseverance will pay off and once you’ve cracked the code, it will all start falling into place. I was that way with Kingfish - many unproductive trips and then I discovered key (live squid or fresh caught), now it would be rare to target them and not get at least a few.

keep at it mate, it will happen.

I feel your pain. I`ve been following the same path on Newcastle beaches , chasing jewies too , with only one success this year. That fish was caught on a live poddy mullet so maybe a  change of bait might help. Some nice flathead also liked the livies too. I think that the wet weather may be a big factor. Everyone I`ve spoken to has said the same thing - not many Jewies around so far this year. However , the best time of year for Jewfish off the beach is coming soon so your persistence will probably be rewarded.

1 hour ago, DrRaymondSnapper said:

I feel your pain. I`ve been following the same path on Newcastle beaches , chasing jewies too , with only one success this year. That fish was caught on a live poddy mullet so maybe a  change of bait might help. Some nice flathead also liked the livies too. I think that the wet weather may be a big factor. Everyone I`ve spoken to has said the same thing - not many Jewies around so far this year. However , the best time of year for Jewfish off the beach is coming soon so your persistence will probably be rewarded.

Cheers for the reply mate. Good thinking on the livies. I am new up here so not quite sure where to source. It also takes quite a bit more time for the whole mission. Fresh tailor has always done the trick for me in the past. I have been trying lures as well but this is a much lower % game.

They still have to eat so not sure why it has been a slow season. Will keep at it: It's a mighty pleasant way to spend the evening.

Edited by humesy

I have caught a couple Jew at Stockton not too long ago, but our recent trip was just a large amount of sharks. The jew I have gotten of the beach were on ether squid or fish strips. If they are there they will eat it, I don't find them a very picky fish at all especially when there are schools of them they tend to be abit competitive. 
The goal is to stay mobile, fish a spot for a few hours and if there’s nothing move on. As the tide rises or falls so dose the viability of gutters and other beach structure. Tides aren’t a concern on the beach so you’ll want to target the sunset into dark period. Once you do find some jew you’ll usually get a couple In quick succession as with beaches the fish are concentrated in a rather small stretch of the beach.

it’s also viable to cast difference distances. One cast you may throw close to the shore and others you may want to throw right at the back of the structure you are fishing There’s also no harm in turfing a beach worm out.

14 minutes ago, humesy said:

Cheers for the reply mate. Good thinking on the livies. I am new up here so not quite sure where to source. It also takes quite a bit more time for the whole mission. Fresh tailor has always done the trick for me in the past. I have been trying lures as well but this is a much lower % game.

They still have to eat so not sure why it has been a slow season. It's a mighty pleasant way to spend the evening.

I have found this season the opposite, but I have only really started heavily focusing on jew within the last year though. The George’s is full of Jew, mostly just under legal but good fun on the light gear and plenty of 70-85’s thrown in. As of the last few weeks a lot of good sized jew have been caught at or between captain and Tom uglys bridges with some really nice 100-115cm Jews about. Pillies, flesh baits and particularly garfish are the baits that been catching them as of recently. Garfish wouldn’t be a bad choice of bait now as they are about at the moment. 
I have done a few trips to Stockton and pulled out a 110 and a mate loosing a much larger one because of a poorly tied knot but I don’t fish off the beach too often. Sand is a pretty big put off, it goes everywhere. 

• Like 1

I'm still reasonably new to the area too (2.5years) and haven't been out for a Jew recently but the success I have had is off Stockton near Corroba Park, whole squid, running sinker rig similar to below (sinker to suit conditions). In the lead up it was very quiet (no bycatch), with the fish generally being caught right around high. I have also had a few donuts following the same method. As mentioned above, I've found Angling Untangled (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGilDakv_p-vXYr9uPD_dvA) to be an invaluable source of info for figuring out the local area.

image.thumb.png.cbd05f4002f6e262660eea01de8d0e60.png