Etec yearly service costs?

essjay

Hi Guys

I have a etec 40hp (2012 model) which is running fine. It came with a recent purchase of a boat and I am wondering what sort of costs i should expect when i take it for a service.

Is anyone willing to throw some numbers out there including parts as a total projected cost ?

Motor is running fine as far as i can tell, I intend to get it serviced shortly so i know when it was done and ensure that its good to fish for another 6-12 months.

thanks in advance.

Make sure you take it to a place that knows them well, a standard old boat mechanic will just change the plugs and gear oil and hand you the bill! I hear good things about Huett Marine for Evinrude.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

Make sure you take it to a place that knows them well, a standard old boat mechanic will just change the plugs and gear oil and hand you the bill! I hear good things about Huett Marine for Evinrude.

I spoke to a shop today and he read out about 10 things that needed to be done, I did not check it against the manual steps which I have a copy8 of but he clearly knew what he was talking about.

The owner went as far as saying all parts needed to be ordered in advance before a service booking can be done which is a good sign to me as items like the impeller need to be replaced.

Huett very sadly has shut its doors for good, I tried them first on another members recommendation :(

• Like 1

Didn't know about Huett closing up! I guess they decided that when Evinrude (BRP) stopped production, their time was up? When they do the water pump, make sure they replace the entire kit, not just the impeller, also make sure they use genuine parts, not cheap after market copies.

• Like 1

For service I would highly recommend the place I told you about. Worth the extra travelling to get it done by a recognized Etec dealership who work with them every day of the week.

Believe me they are the best Etec mechanics you will find.

Approx cost would be around 450 up as much as 600  depending on parts. Last time I had my 90hp etec serviced there they charged me 650 but that was a couple of years ago.

Whatever they charge would be approx the same anywhere you take it so best to take it to the best and have confidence everything is done right.

Extra travel to drop it off and pick it back up will be a pain but the pain will only last a short while while the satisfaction of having it done properly will last much longer.

Frank

On 5/30/2022 at 2:31 PM, frankS said:

For service I would highly recommend the place I told you about. Worth the extra travelling to get it done by a recognized Etec dealership who work with them every day of the week.

Believe me they are the best Etec mechanics you will find.

Approx cost would be around 450 up as much as 600  depending on parts. Last time I had my 90hp etec serviced there they charged me 650 but that was a couple of years ago.

Whatever they charge would be approx the same anywhere you take it so best to take it to the best and have confidence everything is done right.

Extra travel to drop it off and pick it back up will be a pain but the pain will only last a short while while the satisfaction of having it done properly will last much longer.

Frank

Frank you raise good points as always. I was trying to avoid the long drive due to time constraints at the moment. argh.

On 5/30/2022 at 2:31 PM, frankS said:

Worth the extra travelling to get it done by a recognized Etec dealership who work with them every day of the week.

Hopefully not the place I bought my boat from, I had services there and the boat never ran right, then to top it off, I drove all the way back and as I reversed my boat into the driveway i heard a noise, checked and the bearing had collapsed on the right side of the trailer.

Considering the trailer wasn't a year old i was surprised, then extra surprised when they said we don't look at the trailer during a outboard service. To me that was like a mechanic not checking the brakes during a car service.

---(Bearing failed as the dust cap came off and Salt water washed out the bearing, could not see it behind the Alloy wheel cap, lesson learnt by me)------

I have not been back since 2017, i went to Huett as the alarms and excessive oil use continued and i was sick of getting towed home in a $45k boat, after 3 attempts by the selling dealer to fix i gave up,

They even told me it was bad fuel causing the fouling plugs. Huett found the thermostats were siezed open, so the motor didn't get to temperature and that's what caused the excessive oil consumption and alarms. Since then 140hrs trouble free.

My next service which is due will be at a place on the Hume hwy at Lansvale

P.s Huett Marine closed as the land was sold to a developer and the then went to work for BRP

5 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Do you know where that was announced? Huey aka Craig was a long term very early sponsor of this forum.

If you google the company, it shows up as closed permanently :(

Please correct me if I am wrong or let them know to fix their google listing online  

2 hours ago, essjay said:

If you google the company, it shows up as closed permanently :(

Please correct me if I am wrong or let them know to fix their google listing online  

Yes it does say that on Google searching. That is a business listing.

Huett Marine never had an online/social media footprint. That is why I wondered where it was announced.

@Plethora had a service there last year. 

Hope you find a service person @essjay

41 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yes it does say that on Google searching. That is a business listing.

Huett Marine never had an online/social media footprint. That is why I wondered where it was announced.

@Plethora had a service there last year. 

Hope you find a service person @essjay

Would you mind sending me their contact details via private message?

Ended up getting it serviced locally, got an itemised invoice and had some other work done at the same time ( new fuse box install). Service ran me around 480$ including parts. Ran it the past 3 days around Brisbane waters, boat ran fine. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by essjay
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...