Port Hacking

Yowie

After travelling about the countryside all last month, it was time to head home and have a fish in the Hacking.

I tried a few spots in the Murrumbidge, for snag fish only, and had a fish in Mallacoota Inlet last week, for a salmon and a few small trevally. Victorian size limit for trevs is 23cm, the same for tailor.

I headed to Lilli Pilli early this morning, very cold travelling against the slight breeze in an open boat. I pulled out the tailor and lone crab, plus the ever present small reddies. I had a number of tailor bites that did not hook up for some reason, the pillies I had were salted but rock hard so probably the reason why.

I later headed to Maianbar flats, pumped some nippers but only 1 whiting. There was a flock of seagulls that kept dive bombing the nippers I was throwing out, so the fish were probably scared away. I headed to Lilli Pilli flats for not a bite at all, so I found some other sand patches along the main channel for the other whiting and bream.

I also pulled out 3 duskies - 27, 33 and just over 36 cms. In Victoria, the size limit for flatties has changed recently - minimum of 30cm to a maximum of 55cm, bag limit of 5. Looking at the size of the ones I caught this morning, I cannot see why the Vic minimum is so small, hardly worth the effort of eating just over 30cm duskies. In saying that, I have eaten a few spiky flatties around the 30cm mark, quite tasty, and there are many of them in the ocean, however, the small duskies at the Victorian size limit should be returned. Just my opinion.

fish.jpeg.352_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

The cooler weather certainly making the hacking a harder fish now we’re into winter.

You managed a good catch though! 👍

Been plenty of tailor around over the last few weeks esp from around sandshoes down to the beaches. And quite a few blue swimmers on the incoming tide. On Thursday saw a couple of guys land about 5 or 6 off the wharf. Half a large yellowtail on a hook and a long landing net. Got one myself and a couple of good sized jackets - which I really enjoy floured and pan fried. Landed a salmon on a soft plastic which I gave to the crabbers. 

have to agree with you on the flatty size in VIC, 30cm not much meat left on a flatty once filleted - hardly worth the trouble - better letting them grow to give a chance to breed.

• Like 1

Good to hear you're back @Yowie. Though I'm not sure the Hacking fish are quite as happy to see you!

I've kept a few just-legal (NSW legal) fish in the past and even with 6cm more than Vic sizing, I realised I need a few to feed the family (two adults and two young kids). I much prefer a 45-60cm fish.

17 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Hard yards Yowie but still looks like a feed.

Also I would have to agree with you regarding the Victorian Dusky size minimum.

Well, that is Victoria for you.  😂

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

The cooler weather certainly making the hacking a harder fish now we’re into winter.

You managed a good catch though! 👍

Been plenty of tailor around over the last few weeks esp from around sandshoes down to the beaches. And quite a few blue swimmers on the incoming tide. On Thursday saw a couple of guys land about 5 or 6 off the wharf. Half a large yellowtail on a hook and a long landing net. Got one myself and a couple of good sized jackets - which I really enjoy floured and pan fried. Landed a salmon on a soft plastic which I gave to the crabbers. 

have to agree with you on the flatty size in VIC, 30cm not much meat left on a flatty once filleted - hardly worth the trouble - better letting them grow to give a chance to breed.

Tailor is a winter staple food for some, also sport on a handline.

Nothing wrong with a couple of jackets.

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely would have been a bit cold in the tinny! Wow, a 30cm flatty would do bugger all for my family 😂 Nice looking bay as usual mate! 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Small duskies, no good.

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report and photos looks like you have a great feed there 

Thank you, 2 feeds in that lot.

53 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to hear you're back @Yowie. Though I'm not sure the Hacking fish are quite as happy to see you!

I've kept a few just-legal (NSW legal) fish in the past and even with 6cm more than Vic sizing, I realised I need a few to feed the family (two adults and two young kids). I much prefer a 45-60cm fish.

Thank you. 40 to 55cm duskies are about right for eating.

48 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Welcome back.

Great report as usual.

Well done.

Thank you, happy to be back.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great feed Yowie, I am looking to head out in the very near future and hopefully can do something similar 👍

Good luck, just have to beat the wind.

• Like 1

Hi Yowie,

Again good to see your posts.

In regards to your above mention of the 23cm vic tailor size limit,

I would like to share to you how NSW got its 30cm size limit.

A few years ago at the south sydney amateur fishing club, we had a fisheries presentation.

(We normally have a lot of presentations from guest speakers).

At the end , we were asked  if tailor should have a sizel limit.

Majority said yes. The we were asked for what size. Someone said 30cm, and it was voted in.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, Yowie said:

Looking at the size of the ones I caught this morning, I cannot see why the Vic minimum is so small, hardly worth the effort of eating just over 30cm duskies.

I'm with you Yowie 30cm is tiny for a dusky. I don't keep them under 40cm , but at least the Mexicans have introduced an upper size which I think is a good thing for the big breeders. I was expecting to hear NSW would introduce a 70cm upper limit after the survey last year but silence so far.

Fil

7 minutes ago, ilkfish said:

Hi Yowie,

Again good to see your posts.

In regards to your above mention of the 23cm vic tailor size limit,

I would like to share to you how NSW got its 30cm size limit.

A few years ago at the south sydney amateur fishing club, we had a fisheries presentation.

(We normally have a lot of presentations from guest speakers).

At the end , we were asked  if tailor should have a sizel limit.

Majority said yes. The we were asked for what size. Someone said 30cm, and it was voted in.

While you can get a couple of edible fillets from a 30cm tailor, a 23cm one is not worth the effort.

2 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

I'm with you Yowie 30cm is tiny for a dusky. I don't keep them under 40cm , but at least the Mexicans have introduced an upper size which I think is a good thing for the big breeders. I was expecting to hear NSW would introduce a 70cm upper limit after the survey last year but silence so far.

Fil

I would be happy with a 70cm upper limit. I ate an 86cm one many years ago - was the only fish I caught that day - and it was a bit chewy. Would not keep one that size again. Even 70cm is not all that tender. Around the 60cm mark would be the upper limit for me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I would be happy with a 70cm upper limit. I ate an 86cm one many years ago - was the only fish I caught that day - and it was a bit chewy. Would not keep one that size again. Even 70cm is not all that tender. Around the 60cm mark would be the upper limit for me.

My dad and his friend kept a 69cm one a while back as it had been hooked in the gills and wouldn't swim off and it wasn't too bad but I would prefer flatties in the 36-45 range, the lighter the flatty the better.

4 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

My dad and his friend kept a 69cm one a while back as it had been hooked in the gills and wouldn't swim off and it wasn't too bad but I would prefer flatties in the 36-45 range, the lighter the flatty the better.

Sometimes a fish will not survive being hooked, so better to eat it rather than let it suffer.

• Like 1