Big tides forecast

Yowie

Large high tides are forecast for the week starting this long weekend, at nighttime, with the highest tide on Wednesday around 9pm. A decent sized swell will be around, easing during Wednesday. Probably some beach erosion happening as well. Good luck fishing.:fisher:

• Thanks 1

I find it interesting how tides are now bigger than ever before, I have lived on a tidal estuary all my life and decades ago a "Christmas King tide" was about 1.8m (6 foot) but now 2m+ tides are common, why?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, noelm said:

I find it interesting how tides are now bigger than ever before, I have lived on a tidal estuary all my life and decades ago a "Christmas King tide" was about 1.8m (6 foot) but now 2m+ tides are common, why?

Maybe the 'experts' cannot work out the predictions in metric. 😂

I have fished in Port Hacking all my life, and have not noticed much different in high and low tides during that 60 odd years, apart from the big high tides in winter during nighttime, and the big high tides around christmas during the daytime.

One thing about the high tide predictions next week is that the low tides immediately prior to the highs are not as low as normal predictions - i.e. the lows are down to 0.5 metres, whereas they would often be down to 0.2 or 0.3 metres before a big high tide.

Maybe the weather bureau is trying to sneakily tell us there is global warming/rising sea levels. :074:

Bear in mind that some tidal predictions are made 12 months ago, or longer at times, so how can the heights be accurate that far out?

• Haha 1

Yeah I don't know, I just remember the Christmas tides when I was a kid were 6 foot and they came just to the top of the bank at the back of my place, occasionally they might just come up on the grass, now, they come right up into the park up the road, no idea how or what the difference is.

Sediment build up in the creeks and narrow rivers are rising the bottom of the creek beds and the land masses ( such as your back yard ) are constantly being mowed etc and this keep the level of your yard stagnant.

I can remember Christmas high tides exceeding the 2 metre mark 6'7" and there abouts.

Frank

• Like 2

Noel and Frank,

The weather does change over time, just look at past weather of ice ages, and heating periods, rises and falls in ocean levels of great distance, measured in many metres not a couple of cms.

The earth is still moving internally - earthquakes, tectonic plates slipping and sliding about, volcanos erupting at times, so nothing is completely stable in the weather, also including winds at sea, different ocean currents (which influence rainfall and subsequently wind direction and speed) and there we go. Spending big money and talk fests will not change the weather.

Enjoy the high tides guys.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Large high tides are forecast for the week starting this long weekend, at nighttime, with the highest tide on Wednesday around 9pm. A decent sized swell will be around, easing during Wednesday. Probably some beach erosion happening as well. Good luck fishing.:fisher:

Hey Yowie, you notice any difference to the fishing in the hacking during the larger tidal movements?

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hey Yowie, you notice any difference to the fishing in the hacking during the larger tidal movements?

Faster current run though the main channels. With the water spreading further across the banks, the fish tend to spread out more to find new areas. I don't normally fish the big tides during winter (nighttime) though do fish the big christmas tides during the daytime. The summer runup tides is when I mainly fish the sandflats for whiting, bream, flatties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

i have never had much luck fishing king tides ,has anyone had much luck fishing  high tides ?

I find it is better to fish the early part of the big tides, before the fish spread out over the sandbanks.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, Yowie said:

Noel and Frank,

The weather does change over time, just look at past weather of ice ages, and heating periods, rises and falls in ocean levels of great distance, measured in many metres not a couple of cms.

The earth is still moving internally - earthquakes, tectonic plates slipping and sliding about, volcanos erupting at times, so nothing is completely stable in the weather, also including winds at sea, different ocean currents (which influence rainfall and subsequently wind direction and speed) and there we go. Spending big money and talk fests will not change the weather.

Enjoy the high tides guys.

Yup. The world is changing. I found this doco fascinating. 

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

In just got back from a few days in woy woy and noticed we could not get the bream to bite in the morning (sunrise)  yet we got bream action in the evening (sunset and early evening) with the the run up to high tide....

In the mornings only the taylor were biting ...us off...

Edited by essjay

When you think about it the tides are the  effect of gravity on the water around the earth.   So the size of them is mostly dependant on the position of the moon, sun and other planets the distance from earth at the time and alignment with each other.  Those factors can be predicted accurately well into the future.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Welster said:

When you think about it the tides are the  effect of gravity on the water around the earth.   So the size of them is mostly dependant on the position of the moon, sun and other planets the distance from earth at the time and alignment with each other.  Those factors can be predicted accurately well into the future.  

👍

On 6/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, zmk1962 said:

Yup. The world is changing. I found this doco fascinating. 

cheers Zoran

Great doco Zoran, it would be interesting to see the same research being done in Antarctica to see what anomalies if any there are between the two poles 

It makes me wonder wether cloud seeding & all the extra rockets punching through the stratosphere in recent times have had an influence on climate change 

2 hours ago, Circle hooked said:

I’ve always found Bream fishing in Brisbane Waters during winter better at night. Usually less fish but bigger. Flathead in the system are the same. The Bream are usually up in the shallow water at night.

You are spot on, we only got bream in the shallows and they wear healthy specimens in their 30's. Sorry no pics, we let them all go. Not a single flattie. Lures only.