Brisbane Waters Flatties

LuckyFil

Had a couple of sessions on the water around Ettalong and Hardys Bay over the long weekend.

Saturday was windy as everyone knows and today was quite still and balmy. Saturday fished the run out tide along weed edges flicking plastics and a soft vibe. First cast on the plastic and I was onto a nice flattie that went 51 cm. I continued casting there for another 20 minutes in different directions and switching to the vibe but that was it for there so I moved to another favourite spot using the same techniques. Picked up another fish that went 52 on the SP and a while later a third at 48cm on the vibe. One more move resulted in a dropped fish from very shallow water who had got wrapped in the line but not hooked. Called it quits then and went home happy.

image.jpeg.3537fb1d6ad97bc2f3aa1660728ac7c7.jpeg

image.jpeg.0b496cc7d9d2059c26098bd85975859e.jpeg

Tried again today for zip. Went out too late and missed the tide so dead calm with no current . Very pleasant on the water but no fish.

For the luderick fishermen on this site I saw plenty at the cleaning table on Saturday and more being caught from Wagstaffe wharf this morning on the run out tide.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 11

Nice, great feed & report Fil

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

For the luderick fishermen on this site I saw plenty at the cleaning table on Saturday and more being caught from Wagstaffe wharf this morning on the run out tide.

I heard they’ve been there for a while, as the water starts to cool they’ll be heading further into the system 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Nice, great feed & report Fil

I heard they’ve been there for a while, as the water starts to cool they’ll be heading further into the system 

I chatted to one of the guys catching them and he said they are all estuary fish still (but quite a few good sized ones I noticed). He said the bronzies will be another month or two away.

that wharf only works for luderick on the run out and best on the bottom half of the tide.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 6:02 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see the winter flatty bite hasn’t slowed for you @LuckyFil! Perfect eating size!

Do you find that you need to fish differently to summer? Reason I ask is I don’t see a lot of flatties on lures in winter!

The water temp hasn’t dropped much yet so haven’t changed technique a lot. The main thing I do differently as it cools is slow down my retrieve speed and longer pauses. The fish are still there just takes a bit more to get them to bite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1