Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar Flats.

Standing in knee deep water, in the near darkness, pumping nippers by the light of the silvery moon. It might sound like the start of a novel, but no, just f*^#* cold.  :074:

I pulled out 5 whiting, most of them before sunrise, then the bites stopped. I moved a bit further away for another whiting, then the other half a dozen spots produced bugger all, dropped a small one and some places no bites at all, so headed home.

For those of you driving along the Shire roads, a speed camera car on the Kingsway near the hockey fields, just after 5am this morning. Yesterday arvo my wife saw a camera car on Port Hacking Road near the fire station (have not seen them there before, they are usually parked closer to the hospital) , heading east, and the car was parked between 2 trucks, so that it could not be seen until driving past. 🤬

fish.jpeg.354_files_files.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice feed Yowie, beautiful time to fish.

Well done.

Thank you. Nice time to fish normally, but the slight breeze certainly chills it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

interesting how  they were on the bite  before  daylight  but nothing  was biting during the day ,what size hooks were you using  to get these whiting please Yowie?   

Size 2 longshank, in the red colour Mustad, with a size 0 ball sinker dropping directly onto the hook. For the larger nippers, I add a half hitch of line around the tail of the nipper, to keep it straight on the hook so it does not bunch up.

Size 0 sinker as I do not have to cast too far, either stationary or drifting, as I fish in water less than 3 metres deep, usually 1 to 2 metres, the exception being wading about in knee deep water.

• Like 1

Nice haul Yowie!

I'll have to get out there again soon as my whiting fillets in the freezer are running low! Last session out I got a mate onto a few nice ones but the westerlies have hit since.....do you think that's the end of the run for a while?

7 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice haul Yowie!

I'll have to get out there again soon as my whiting fillets in the freezer are running low! Last session out I got a mate onto a few nice ones but the westerlies have hit since.....do you think that's the end of the run for a while?

Thank you. 

Hard to say what is happening, but guessing that the water temp will drop in the near future and the whiting might go a bit quiet.

7 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch 👍

You’ve got 🏈 wading out there in this weather!

Have to agree. It is difficult enough for me to get out of bed this winter, let alone WADE the flats pumping nippers! I like to think that I'm an early bird and not afraid of the cold, but maybe I'm getting soft in old age 🤣

That's a well deserved, quality feed @Yowie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Have to agree. It is difficult enough for me to get out of bed this winter, let alone WADE the flats pumping nippers! I like to think that I'm an early bird and not afraid of the cold, but maybe I'm getting soft in old age 🤣

That's a well deserved, quality feed @Yowie.

Thank you. Just have to suck it up. 🤣

• Haha 1

You're keen getting nippers in the freezing water and heading out before sun up. As the saying goes though, it paid off with some quality Whiting. Always strikes me as a bit comical, the continuous "battle of wits" between motorists and law enforcement, with each trying to outwit the other. I guess the ultimate outcome should be DON'T SPEED and it won't matter where they are or what dastardly tricks they may use. Cheers Yowie, bn

On 6/15/2022 at 5:29 PM, Yowie said:

Size 2 longshank, in the red colour Mustad, with a size 0 ball sinker dropping directly onto the hook. For the larger nippers, I add a half hitch of line around the tail of the nipper, to keep it straight on the hook so it does not bunch up.

Size 0 sinker as I do not have to cast too far, either stationary or drifting, as I fish in water less than 3 metres deep, usually 1 to 2 metres, the exception being wading about in knee deep water.

thank you very  much , 

On 6/16/2022 at 8:30 AM, big Neil said:

You're keen getting nippers in the freezing water and heading out before sun up. As the saying goes though, it paid off with some quality Whiting. Always strikes me as a bit comical, the continuous "battle of wits" between motorists and law enforcement, with each trying to outwit the other. I guess the ultimate outcome should be DON'T SPEED and it won't matter where they are or what dastardly tricks they may use. Cheers Yowie, bn

The early bird gets the worm, or the nippers to get the fish.

As for the camera cars, drivers are always on the lookout to keep speeds to the applicable limit (well, most anyway) ,or, one can drive like the old farts about 10 ks under the limit, not getting caught for speeding but annoying others. 

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rebel said:

Great haul as usual.

Well done.

The NSW Government has just approved 100 more speed camera vehicles.

Cheers.

Thank you.

The last thing needed is more speed cameras. At least we have the warning signs back on the vehicles. In victoria, the camera cars are not marked, however, the ones I saw last month were BMW X3 or X5.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:11 AM, bessell1955 said:

Very clean looking fish.

The fish were in an ice bath in the esky.

4 hours ago, Scooter0069 said:

Nice feed Yowie 

Thank you.

On 6/15/2022 at 1:52 PM, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar Flats.

Standing in knee deep water, in the near darkness, pumping nippers by the light of the silvery moon. It might sound like the start of a novel, but no, just f*^#* cold.  :074:

I pulled out 5 whiting, most of them before sunrise, then the bites stopped. I moved a bit further away for another whiting, then the other half a dozen spots produced bugger all, dropped a small one and some places no bites at all, so headed home.

For those of you driving along the Shire roads, a speed camera car on the Kingsway near the hockey fields, just after 5am this morning. Yesterday arvo my wife saw a camera car on Port Hacking Road near the fire station (have not seen them there before, they are usually parked closer to the hospital) , heading east, and the car was parked between 2 trucks, so that it could not be seen until driving past. 🤬

fish.jpeg.354_files_files.jpg

While you were doing that I was 💤💤💤 in bed with my electric blanket on dreaming about not catching fish.Well done for braving Antarctic conditions.You’re slightly keener than me.Just slightly.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fab1 said:

While you were doing that I was 💤💤💤 in bed with my electric blanket on dreaming about not catching fish.Well done for braving Antarctic conditions.You’re slightly keener than me.Just slightly.😆

You cannot catch fish whilst lying in bed. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Still have them Zoran. They were just hiding away.  :074:

Yup. I can imagine they’re well hidden … in the tackle box but I prefer to keep them where they are. 

Who goes wading in winter?  - only Yetis and Yowies I guess. 

Cheers Z 

• Haha 1