Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this arvo with my fishing mate in his boat to Bate Bay. One long drift and found these fish in a few different spots. It was wall to wall spikies, hitting baits as soon as the bait hit the bottom. Also released quite a few undersized blue spots. Bait used was a few cut up spikies. Flounder was a bonus on the last bait.

Moved to a few reefy areas near Kurnell for the reddie, a mid 40's mowie (released as my mate won't eat them either) and other reef species - pike, nannygai, maori wrasse, trevally, red rockies, and a heap of sweep - all released except the reddie.

Biggest flattie at 46cm, the reddie at 35, flounder at 32.

Surprised by the amount of fish for this time of year. Drift not too fast, bugger all swell. Also a few whales cruised past close to the boat.

fish.jpeg.357_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

That is a great winter haul! A few feeds to get you through the forecast rainy weekend.

Didn't realise you can get flounder offshore.

Fresh flattie fillets are nice.

I have caught flounder up to 150 feet depth, and the larger ones are quite often off shore.

33 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Plenty of flatty tails there Yowie!

your butcher must be wondering where you’ve been🤪

Happy with the flatty fillets.

Bugger the butcher, meat prices are not cheap at present.

Brilliant result Dave - an excellent day in all respects and a few good feeds of premium eating fish. I suspect the warmer water (20in our neck of the woods) is responsible for the number of fish around at this time of year.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant result Dave - an excellent day in all respects and a few good feeds of premium eating fish. I suspect the warmer water (20in our neck of the woods) is responsible for the number of fish around at this time of year.

Thanks Bob, happy with we caught.

I had a swim at Wanda Beach during the morning before heading out fishing, water temp still not too bad. Only felt cool for the first 15 seconds, then did not notice it. Managed to catch a few waves, so I had a good day all round.

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

love  nannygai , where they of any size ? ,  really nice catch by the way , 

Not big nannygai, but just big enough to pull off small fillets.

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thanks Bob, happy with we caught.

I had a swim at Wanda Beach during the morning before heading out fishing, water temp still not too bad. Only felt cool for the first 15 seconds, then did not notice it. Managed to catch a few waves, so I had a good day all round.

The legend of Yowie continues! I guess it's 'training' for going yabby pumping in the depths of winter! 🤣

Does this mean you didn't leave at the crack of dawn this time round?

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

The legend of Yowie continues! I guess it's 'training' for going yabby pumping in the depths of winter! 🤣

Does this mean you didn't leave at the crack of dawn this time round?

Correct all round.  😂

Edited by Yowie

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top report.

Well done.

Thank you. Happy with the result.

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Really solid bag, Yowie. Hopefully with the new slot limit, we will have better results of flatties.

The slot and bag limit changes will only affect the duskies, whereas the blue spot limit is still 10 fish per person.

7 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great feed Yowie, that is a tasty bunch of fish.

Well done.

Thank you, a couple of nice feeds in there.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you’ll get a few nice meals out of those!

it’s surprising how many blue spot and spikey flatheads are out there. Must be like carpet in some areas. It’s just a matter of finding the good sized ones.

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

you’ll get a few nice meals out of those!

it’s surprising how many blue spot and spikey flatheads are out there. Must be like carpet in some areas. It’s just a matter of finding the good sized ones.

Some times it was just a continuous attack on the baits by the little spikies, pulling them up 2 at a time. They did not always hook up when I used a large bait, so it gave the blue spots a chance to have a go.

55 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Good catch of flatties! I tried to get out on Wednesday but was unable, carby full of water. Bad fuel. Lucky it happened at the ramp and not outside in my tinny.... 

It is a long row in a tinny. I have done that a couple of times over the years, from Lilli Pilli to Gunnamatta bay. Would not like to try it now.

48 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great bag Yowie this rain might slow them down for a while 

Thank you.

With this heavy rain, around half a metre at Lucas Heights, the fishing will be just a guess. Only way to find out is to give it a go, and sit in the rain. 🤣