Mixture of Sessions.

Isaac Ct

Gday Raiders, have been a bit slack with my reports so though I would put together a couple of trips from the last week or so.

Last Monday I decided to head down to the local jetty with my mate and try for some leatherjackets and trevally. Started of with a size 0 ball sinker and a leader of about 50cm down to a size 12 long shank hook. Small pieces of peeled prawns did the damage pulling in 2 nice sized fan bellies and 1 nice Yellowfin Jacket. The bonus was the Trev, measuring at 36cm. Water was clear this time last week in Yowie Bay and we didn't even get bothered by the small bream, snapper or trumpeters that are usually frequent under the jetty. A lovely person next to us managed to catch a quite a decent sized blue swimmer and he generously gave it to us. My mate took the crab and Trev and the leatherjacket went to the neighbours. Fairly certain it is not common for a crab to be caught at this time of year, can anyone confirm? No photos as the files wouldn't upload 😡.

On Saturday headed out for a morning fish with a different mate and we went up South West Arm where the water was clear. Immediately we saw plenty of fish busting up but they would take a bait. We followed them for a couple of hours out of the arm, lost one on an unweighted pilly tail, and eventually we decided to have a drift around Costen's Point and when my mate's bait hit the bottom it got taken and the fish took of for the deep water, the Salmon jumped a few times and we were surprised the hook stayed in as he had a very small hook on, measured 51cm and I took it home for a feed after bleeding it and putting it on ice. I was very surprised by the taste and would rate it quite highly. The stomach also had a couple of 1-2 inch whitebait, for anyone who is in the hacking, this must be what they are eating at the moment. Yowie, you already know this don't you😂

1336116952_EthansSalmon.thumb.jpg.345e217d645e3bf3f02d876870148c56.jpg

Yesterday I decided to head out to the Sand flats the south of Mansion Bay as I have fished it once a couple of weeks ago and it looked prime for some flatties. Started to flick around a 2.5inch ZmaSlim Swimzmz in Watermelon red on a 1/12 jig head and it didn't take long for me to land a flattie, only small probably 33cm and was released, not worthy of a photo. After a couple of casts around the channel marker I hooked another fish, slightly better but still not massive. Tied on a 2 inch orange grub on a 1/16 jig head and flicked it around the shallow water, something had a solid go at it but no hook up, pulled the plastic of the jig head, maybe a bream.

63228272_FlattieonPlasticGraysPoint.thumb.jpg.e9701182b74df38de0354774f3ae6158.jpg

Isaac.

• Like 16

Nice one Isaac! A few nice little sessions you’ve been having. Well done 👍 

If I go for a flick off a wharf, I’ll sometimes take 2-3 crab lines. Big chunk of mullet or yellowtail on a heavy handline wrapped a few times around the pylons and just left there. Long handle net needed. Always left over bait or fish heads around wharfs and ramps which do attract crabs. 

I caught one last week off Gunnamatta wharf, while I went for 1-2 hour flick session with my kids. Plus a 55cm salmon on a pearl jerk shad - released. 

saw a few decent sized Salmon and trevs caught, which lines up with what you’ve been catching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great reports.

Well done.

Cheers 

22 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice one Isaac! A few nice little sessions you’ve been having. Well done 👍 

If I go for a flick off a wharf, I’ll sometimes take 2-3 crab lines. Big chunk of mullet or yellowtail on a heavy handline wrapped a few times around the pylons and just left there. Long handle net needed. Always left over bait or fish heads around wharfs and ramps which do attract crabs. 

I caught one last week off Gunnamatta wharf, while I went for 1-2 hour flick session with my kids. Plus a 55cm salmon on a pearl jerk shad - released. 

saw a few decent sized Salmon and trevs caught, which lines up with what you’ve been catching.

Cheers mate, Yowie Bay is quite easy to net fish as the wharf is practically at water level. Good to see you are getting out and getting some fish. Apparently there have been a lot of Salmon and Trev's around the hacking, that's what I've heard.

23 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Good going Isaac. Great to see you getting out and doing well.

’Jackets were never given away when I was a kid, they were my mum’s favourite.

Thanks mate, I do enjoy eating Jackets but my neighbours struggle to get around and are reluctant to get out because of the new wave of Covid, so fish is the safest source of protein for them and they love fish so it's a win win for them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A few good sessions out there, and yes, the occasional crab can be caught at this time of year, and YES, I know the salmon are feeding on whitebait. 🤣

Cheers Yowie, i thought it wouldn't be too common for crabs to be caught at this time of year. Why did I even mention the whitebait, you could tell me what the fish have been doing for the past 30 years😂.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cheers Yowie, i thought it wouldn't be too common for crabs to be caught at this time of year. Why did I even mention the whitebait, you could tell me what the fish have been doing for the past 30 years😂.

Make that the last 60 years. :fisher:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well done Isaac. A good summary of your outings. I know that Salmon and Tailor are not high on most people's list of favourite fish to eat, but bled, put on ice and eaten same day, I really enjoy them.

Keep up the good work. bn

4 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done Isaac. A good summary of your outings. I know that Salmon and Tailor are not high on most people's list of favourite fish to eat, but bled, put on ice and eaten same day, I really enjoy them.

Keep up the good work. bn

Thanks BN, that is the first instance I have had the guts to try the Salmon after many people have told me they like them, and many have told me they hate them. 

• Like 2

nice work mate ,glad you had clear water up here in the harbour upstream from the harbour bridge shes still chocolate ,it was hard going yesterday .a mate got a 1.09kg bream best fish of the day for us cheers dunc333

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

nice work mate ,glad you had clear water up here in the harbour upstream from the harbour bridge shes still chocolate ,it was hard going yesterday .a mate got a 1.09kg bream best fish of the day for us cheers dunc333

Cheers mate, hopefully the water can clear up around Sydney, that is a cracker bream. Well done.

Great report, always good to see raider reports throughout the week - it motivates me to fish more! Lovely to see others enjoying fishing as well. Amazing job on the trev and the salmon and flatty.

I went for a quick session at rushcutter's - put the yakkas out for livebait, but no takers :(. A salmon is definitely on my bucket list, great to see that you've already ticked it off yours. 

I guess the only thing to do is to cast more!

10 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Great report, always good to see raider reports throughout the week - it motivates me to fish more! Lovely to see others enjoying fishing as well. Amazing job on the trev and the salmon and flatty.

I went for a quick session at rushcutter's - put the yakkas out for livebait, but no takers :(. A salmon is definitely on my bucket list, great to see that you've already ticked it off yours. 

I guess the only thing to do is to cast more!

Cheers mate, I hope to see the report from you with the Salmon👍

23 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Gday Raiders, have been a bit slack with my reports so though I would put together a couple of trips from the last week or so.

Last Monday I decided to head down to the local jetty with my mate and try for some leatherjackets and trevally. Started of with a size 0 ball sinker and a leader of about 50cm down to a size 12 long shank hook. Small pieces of peeled prawns did the damage pulling in 2 nice sized fan bellies and 1 nice Yellowfin Jacket. The bonus was the Trev, measuring at 36cm. Water was clear this time last week in Yowie Bay and we didn't even get bothered by the small bream, snapper or trumpeters that are usually frequent under the jetty. A lovely person next to us managed to catch a quite a decent sized blue swimmer and he generously gave it to us. My mate took the crab and Trev and the leatherjacket went to the neighbours. Fairly certain it is not common for a crab to be caught at this time of year, can anyone confirm? No photos as the files wouldn't upload 😡.

On Saturday headed out for a morning fish with a different mate and we went up South West Arm where the water was clear. Immediately we saw plenty of fish busting up but they would take a bait. We followed them for a couple of hours out of the arm, lost one on an unweighted pilly tail, and eventually we decided to have a drift around Costen's Point and when my mate's bait hit the bottom it got taken and the fish took of for the deep water, the Salmon jumped a few times and we were surprised the hook stayed in as he had a very small hook on, measured 51cm and I took it home for a feed after bleeding it and putting it on ice. I was very surprised by the taste and would rate it quite highly. The stomach also had a couple of 1-2 inch whitebait, for anyone who is in the hacking, this must be what they are eating at the moment. Yowie, you already know this don't you😂

1336116952_EthansSalmon.thumb.jpg.345e217d645e3bf3f02d876870148c56.jpg

Yesterday I decided to head out to the Sand flats the south of Mansion Bay as I have fished it once a couple of weeks ago and it looked prime for some flatties. Started to flick around a 2.5inch ZmaSlim Swimzmz in Watermelon red on a 1/12 jig head and it didn't take long for me to land a flattie, only small probably 33cm and was released, not worthy of a photo. After a couple of casts around the channel marker I hooked another fish, slightly better but still not massive. Tied on a 2 inch orange grub on a 1/16 jig head and flicked it around the shallow water, something had a solid go at it but no hook up, pulled the plastic of the jig head, maybe a bream.

63228272_FlattieonPlasticGraysPoint.thumb.jpg.e9701182b74df38de0354774f3ae6158.jpg

Isaac.

Really enjoyed the read and photos mate!! Keep up the great work.

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

Make that the last 60 years. :fisher:

^ Legend has it this man is the Hackings fish whisperer.No wonder the hackings fished out!!! That’s what I say to myself to justify being a terrible fisherman anyway.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1