A few good sessions on the Drummer

LuckyFil

Did a quick dash up the far north coast to visit some friends travelling over from NZ. So not really a fishing trip but couldn't help but pack some fishing gear and include a stop at Crescent Head/Hat Head  on the way back. Turned out to be a good decision as the drummer wanted to play. I managed three nice ones off the rocks near Crescent, all in the mid forties.

image.jpeg.d4e2ab8eccd29f71bb3d7cbb8c02256c.jpegimage.jpeg.9b3cc3d495f1abe9c2e64113710c549d.jpeg

Some friends joined us next day at Hat Head and while my mate didn't know much about drummer fishing he was keen to give it a go. The swell had dropped right away so I wasn't optimistic. It seemed the pigs didn't mind the calm water and we brought five home and dropped a couple more at the waters edge. My mate also scored a good sized bream and tarwhine. He couldn't get over how hard the drummer fight for their size, although one he caught was up in the 50cm range and at that size you know it when you hook one.

image.jpeg.ee7eb4633607f641dec3ba56f04485af.jpeg

Most fish caught on white bread with a couple on peeled prawn.

Been eating drummer for three nights in a row and loving it!

Cheers

Fil

• Like 11

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Great fish to catch and eat, well done. Drummer love bread.

Yeah my mate couldn't get over how you could catch them on plain white bread.

And the other bonus is you can always eat the bait if you get hungry while fishing 😀!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Wow. It's always exhilarating when you get that run, especially with a fish that fights dirty like drummer. Well done on the pigs!

Yes you know there's a fair chance they can beat you if they manage to get under a ledge then its all over. So it's by no means an easy fight - which adds to the challenge

• Like 1

Great stuff Fil!

I used to love fishing for pigs off the stones and the anticipation of a pig hit makes for a lot of fun! 
Those 40+ models produce beautiful fat fillets and they are great on the plate mate🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

best way to cook them in your opinion, i never caught one before

My favourite is just filleted, skinned, rolled in flour then cooked in hot oil, simple and delicious, my wife prefers them crumbed, but to me, they taste too good to mess around with. They have a great flavour, not strong or over powering.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, Pickles said:

Way to go @LuckyFil, hard fighting and great tasting fish black drummer (not so keen on silver drummer though).

Yes the silvers aren’t so good on the plate but they fight even harder than the black drummer.