A few flatties off South Head

dlvbw

Hey Raiders,

It has been a while........ The combination or being crushed at work, kids winter sport and horrendous weather completely screwed autumn and most of winter fishing. 

Finally got out for a quick bottom bash off South Head with @reel'em. Conditions were OK but it was a pretty stuff westerly once we got a couple of NM off the cliffs. Nothing particularly tricky planned. Bounce some big baits and plastics off the bottom in the hope of a good feed. There was plenty going on with lots of birds, whales and bait balls. Whist tempted to drag a few surface lures we stuck to the plan and started a few drifts. Picked up some really nice flatties with 3 over 50 and the biggest 53. Wind picked up around 11am so we headed in. 

NB: I have been using the rib cages from filleted flatties as bait recently and they are deadly. Also means that between the fillets, the bones and guts (burley) and the baits, none of the fish goes in the bin. 

Not the most exciting day out but great to dust off the cobwebs. Keen to target a few snaps next trip. 

Cheers

D.

image.jpeg

• Like 12

Will be checking out that area for flatties on Friday. We find 60 to 70 metres to be usually the best depth to drift there. At around 50 metres, the spikeys come out to play but some good keepers can be caught in the nursery.

44 minutes ago, cogo44 said:

Will be checking out that area for flatties on Friday. We find 60 to 70 metres to be usually the best depth to drift there. At around 50 metres, the spikeys come out to play but some good keepers can be caught in the nursery.

Interesting. 50m is my secret spot!!!!!!!! I will have to get out to the 60m next trip and check it out.