Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out Saturday arvo with my fishing mate past the bombie. Started the drift in 80 feet of water and drifted out to about 130 feet. Only the one drift. The speed varied from very slow to a mid speed, as the wind changed speed a number of times. Bait used were fillets of spikies. A seal popped up near the boat but disappeared after a short time with no effect on the bites.

The blue spots were in patches, however, the spikies were fairly constant, with a few blue spots under size. Biggest flattie was 51cm, and the flounder a good one at 36cm.

Moved to near the lighthouse for a drift, but all that produced was a pike and a nannygai, so headed back in on dark.

fish.jpeg.364_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Well done Dave, 51 is a good blue spot (wish they were all that size), I think we’re in for a bumper season of fishing 🙏🙏

Thanks Bob.

There has been a few better sizes over the last couple of weeks, so might be good for Spring. Most of them are female with fat roes - most times of the year that I pull up blue spots, there will be a few with fat roe, so they must breed most of the year.

The blue spots eat anything that crawls or swims. One yesterday spat out a small yakka, others had small fish and small eels in their stomachs, and I have found small crabs, starfish and 2cm long boxfish at different times.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Starting to get jealous, haven’t been able to get out on the boat for a while. How is the hacking itself fishing at the moment?

Cannot tell you what is happening up river, as have not fished there since July. Heading north in a couple of days in the van, away for possibly several weeks, so you will have to head out, catch something, then report on it. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Wow, what a banquet! :1yikes:

A few family members to feed from each side.

39 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Nice haul there mate! Well done. I haven’t been out for a while, the boat is about to the traded in, and should have a brand new renegade 420 in 3 weeks. Big enough to go offshore and slay a few flatties.

Sounds like a good move.

12 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Flattys look happy! and you will  be too! good bag as always, keen for some nice weather & hoping the annual westerly's hold back this year after all the rain

The weather this year has been ordinary - rain, wind, big swell - affecting up river and outside. Just have to find a good day then go for it.

One of the larger ones is happy 🤬, spiked me and the cut bled for a while, looks like he hit a vein in the webbing near my thumb.

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A few family members to feed from each side.

Sounds like a good move.

The weather this year has been ordinary - rain, wind, big swell - affecting up river and outside. Just have to find a good day then go for it.

One of the larger ones is happy 🤬, spiked me and the cut bled for a while, looks like he hit a vein in the webbing near my thumb.

any cut on the hand bleeds forever, id be happy with that too if i watch my family end up in your tinny

• Haha 1

Some good sized ones in there!

When I was out, there were quite a few bait balls down close to the sand. My mate foul hooked a yakka off the bottom, so doesn’t surprise me one of yours spat one out.

My mate's boat has a sounder, and we noticed some bait balls at various depths. On a number of occasions I have hooked yakkas on the flattie gear so they do swim in the deeper water of 100 feet or so.

I once hook a yakka about 15cm on a bait, so pinned him on the flattie gear and dropped him down to the bottom. A few bites on the line then pulled up a 28cm spikey, hooked in the mouth, so can only guess the yakka was getting attacked by those little mongrels.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Plumb said:

That’s a good haul, I’m only just back in a boat so hopping to get out fur a bottom bash shortly 

The flatties are scattered about, just a matter of finding them.

• Like 1