Hawkesbury Hairtail - (Not)

Pickles

Sam @papafish and Neil @big Neiland I decided to have a crack at Hairtail after some secret intel that they might be “on” in the Berowra Bays. Legend Sam made us an outstanding Chinese dinner to have on the boat and we set up to “slay em’”.

We had premium pilchards, live Yakkas (which were very very slow at West Head) and were set for a torrid night of pulling them in, but even though we had a few light touches (which gave us some hope), we were spectacularly unsuccessful. The only fish caught was a bream which Sam boated, other than that, all we caught were Yakkas (could have saved the trip to West Head). Mind you they were amongst the biggest Yellow tail (Cowan Young) I’ve ever caught (eating size) and these little guys punch above their weight - like mini-kingfish.

We left the ramp about 3pm and targeted Jewies for the turn of tide and then to bait ground and then set up for th night. Conditions were perfect - but no Hairtail. At 9pm we went back to the Jew grounds, but again, not a thing 😞😞. The wind picked up about 9.30, se we headed back to the ramp and off home

A very disappointing night of fishing, but great catching up with fellow raiders.

NO PICS a nothing to show (you’ve all seen Yakkas before) 

Edited by Pickles
Edit
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Sam @papafish and Neil @big Neiland I decided to have a crack at Hairtail after some secret intel that they might be “on” in the Berowra Bays. Legend Sam made us an outstanding Chinese dinner to have on the boat and we set up to “slay em’”.

We had premium pilchards, live Yakkas (which were very very slow at West Head) and were set for a torrid night of pulling them in, but even though we had a few light touches (which gave us some hope), we were spectacularly unsuccessful. The only fish caught was a bream which Sam boated, other than that, all we caught were Yakkas (could have saved the trip to West Head). Mind you they were amongst the biggest Yellow tail (Cowan Young) I’ve ever caught (eating size) and these little guys punch above their weight - like mini-kingfish.

We left the ramp about 3pm and targeted Jewies for the turn of tide and then to bait ground and then set up for th night. Conditions were perfect - but no Hairtail. At 9pm we went back to the Jew grounds, but again, not a thing 😞😞. The wind picked up about 9.30, se we headed back to the ramp and off home

A very disappointing night of fishing, but great catching up with fellow raiders.

Was a lovely night! Great to be out with both of ya.  But man would have been nice if we could have crack at least one Hair tail!!! But that’s fishing!!! I’ll be back and we gonna hit them Kingie hard 🤣 I know kingie is one of your specialty 👌👌

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Well everybody.tried.

Better luck next time.

Did you leave the Bananas behind ? May have been the problem.

Cheers.

Just now, Pickles said:

Nope - had the bananas, but didn’t put any in the burley pot.

Cheers @Rebel, was a good night never- the - less

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice report Bob. If yourself, Sam and Neil couldn't catch any hairtail, then there weren't any to catch! Good food and company, I'm sure a good night was still had.

Nothing wrong with a few Cowanyoung. Hopefully you're sorted with bait for a few future sessions.

Thanks @Little_Flatty, yep plenty of yakkas on ice & salted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, papafish said:

Was a lovely night! Great to be out with both of ya.  But man would have been nice if we could have crack at least one Hair tail!!! But that’s fishing!!! I’ll be back and we gonna hit them Kingie hard 🤣 I know kingie is one of your specialty 👌👌

I had a great time Sam - looooved your BBQ pork.

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

No fish can't ruin a night like that... think of people who pay hundreds of dollars to cruise round on the water for a few hours, not even fishing!

A fishless night is easy to forget when you have a few mates and some good chat

• Like 1