Right...or Left? Why?

big Neil

This topic has possibly been done many times before. 

Just like when we grow up we develop as right handers or left handers. I figure there are more right handed people than left handed people. There are also beliefs about left handed people being more artistic and creative than right handed people...something to do with the side of the brain which accommodates us being one or the other.

I am left footed and right handed... I don't know why, but there it is. I have always believed that it is more natural to control a fishing rod with my natural hand (right) and the reel with my other (left).

It would appear that the manufacturers of baitcast reels produce something like 99.5% of reels for the Australian market to be right hand wind. I believe there is anecdotal evidence to say that this is not the case in Britain and parts of Europe... ie: there are more left hand wind baitcast reels in these regions. I didn't bother checking stats for the American market, but no doubt, somebody will be able to provide an answer to that query.

It would be true that many more anglers use spin type reels than baitcast type reels. We all know that the handles are interchangeable on spin reels, so my question is "which is your preference, and why?"

bn

• Like 7

Neil. I am a right hand winder always have been and always will be.

I bought a pretty expensive left hand wind baitcaster to see IF it would be suitable for me, by the time I had would the line onto the spool I realized it was not for me. Hense the reason that reel is now in your possession.

When I was growing up and until about 25 years ago when a well known celebrity fisherman started winding with his left hand I can't remember seeing anyone wind a reel with their left hand, since then everyone who wants to be a celebrity uses their left hand,

Monkey see Monkey do.

I'm not saying those that wind with their left hand are monkeys, just pointing out that before TV personalities done it others didn't. 

Frank

• Like 6

Good topic Neil!

Personally, I am right handed and hold the rod in my left hand and wind right handed

. Over the years of using Alvey's and centrepins without drag systems, the 'feel' for judging the pressure you need to apply to the free-spinning spool ('palm drag') can be critical when fishing either light line -say sub 3kg- or having stand-up 'muscle fights' with fish like Black Drummer or Kingfish. For me, using those types of reel having your more dominant hand 'adjusting' the pressure is as critical as holding the rod.-Obviously a different story with spinning reels, but I guess you just become accustomed to one way or the other.

Americans seem to use their dominant hand on the rod and wind left handed- or are there more 'cacky-handers' over there? Funny thing is, baitcaster's can go either way it seems.

I tried using a large left hand wind Mitchell spinning one trip and I couldn't believe how uncoordinated I was with it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Right hand. I started with my right hand I feel like it will stay that way

My logic is if you can't reel it in, you can't catch it, so if my left hand is on the reel, I can't rotate the handle fast enough.

It is interesting that 1 in 10 are left handed, but the majority of reels are right handed.

Another point of interest is that if you do a quick google search, shimano reels are left handed when advertised, and daiwa reels are righthanded.

• Like 4

I'm an anomaly like you @big Neil. Left-handed almost all the way (and I'm right handed). Including baitcasters but not fly gear or Alveys, as I'm new to these and might as well learn to palm the spool with my dominant hand.

As @frankS suggested, 90s TV/magazine stars are responsible for a lot of 'switch hitters', as they used to call them. Those were my formative years as a young angler so that's how it happened for me. I wouldn't have tried it if they didn't suggest it, and all of my luring technique is now entirely based upon me working the rod with my dominant hand.

• Like 3

I'm 76yo and fished all my life.  I started with rh wind threadlines but mostly fished with bait.  I was lucky enough to fish with some of the pioneers of sw lure fishing when this debate started.  The fact that you could have prolonged fights with fish on light line using your dominant hand on the rod and not having to switch hands to instantly start to wind when your lure landed won out and I was soon converted to winding with my left hand.  Having your dominant hand on the rod also gives better lure twitching control.

Funny thing was I  continued winding rh when using baitcasters and overhead reels and they were difficult to source ln overheads anyway.  I haven't needed to buy a rod or reel in 20 years (other than fly) as I  have been lucky enough to win more than my share of comps and recently sold 6 new rods and a couple of reels won that I never used.  As proof I'm getting old and silly I have decided to give slow pitch jigging a try which of course is a great excuse to buy some new gear with money from my sales.  After researching I knew what I  wanted but that old boggy came up, right or left hand?  Ended up with right handed Daiwa LEXA and PE2 Oceans Legacy rod and now waiting for a break in weather to try out. 

The right/left subject will continue forever.  Use what you're comfortable with but if lure fishing with threadlines using your dominant hand to twitch and controll the lure makes more sence and if you persevere till it comes naturally you will wonder why you did it any other way.  Ron 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a segway, have any of the dominant-hand-winders learn to cast effectively with their non-dominant hand? i.e. right handed anglers casting with their left hand, or vice versa? To my way of thinking, if someone can work a lure effectively with their non-dominant hand, surely they could learn to cast well with a bit of conscious practice!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

As a segway, have any of the dominant-hand-winders learn to cast effectively with their non-dominant hand? i.e. right handed anglers casting with their left hand, or vice versa? To my way of thinking, if someone can work a lure effectively with their non-dominant hand, surely they could learn to cast well with a bit of conscious practice!

Tried it once, though that it was a dumb arsed idea. End of experiment. 🤣

• Haha 2

I’m lucky in the sense that I have always cast left handed and wound with my right.

My folks told me I was born left handed and taught/made to write right handed when I started school, so over time I developed to “fine motor” right, heavy things left.

Whoever thought I would’ve learnt anything from school that became useful!

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

I can cast a baitcaster pretty well with my left hand, probably not as accurate but sometimes in tight places it comes in handy to cast with left hand. Never tried casting a spin reel with left hand it would feel awkward for me.

As for twitching a lure my left hand works every bit as good as my right so right hand wind feels natural for me.

Frank

• Like 4

13 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. I am a right hand winder always have been and always will be.

I bought a pretty expensive left hand wind baitcaster to see IF it would be suitable for me, by the time I had would the line onto the spool I realized it was not for me. Hense the reason that reel is now in your possession.

When I was growing up and until about 25 years ago when a well known celebrity fisherman started winding with his left hand I can't remember seeing anyone wind a reel with their left hand, since then everyone who wants to be a celebrity uses their left hand,

Monkey see Monkey do.

I'm not saying those that wind with their left hand are monkeys, just pointing out that before TV personalities done it others didn't. 

Frank

Monkey see, monkey do LOL. I have formed two opinions on this subject. Left hand winding (for whatever reason) is NOT common, and baitcast reel manufacturers produce reels proportional to the information which they have. I think Waza summarises it well, in the article above. Hold the rod (to cast) in your preferred hand BUT WIND WITH THE OTHER HAND.

Don't swap hands after you cast, in order to reel. bn

12 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I'm an anomaly like you @big Neil. Left-handed almost all the way (and I'm right handed). Including baitcasters but not fly gear or Alveys, as I'm new to these and might as well learn to palm the spool with my dominant hand.

As @frankS suggested, 90s TV/magazine stars are responsible for a lot of 'switch hitters', as they used to call them. Those were my formative years as a young angler so that's how it happened for me. I wouldn't have tried it if they didn't suggest it, and all of my luring technique is now entirely based upon me working the rod with my dominant hand.

Good to see that there's someone else who (apparently) winds cacky handed LF. Never been one to follow popular trends! I think I know who Frank and you are referring to. I have grown up right handed and been winding reels with my left hand for 70 years. You would think I'd be good at it by now.

Thanks for the replies folks, confirms my thoughts on the subject. bn

• Like 2

Im right handed and for the longest time was winding with my right hand. In looking to eliminate the switcheroo and be more efficient after casting i switched over to winding with the left about 4 months ago and am now never looking back. I find i have more control in imparting action with my right hand/wrist/arm and while fighting fish felt clumsy and odd for the first month or two, it feels 100% natural now. 

• Like 6

There are more right handed people in the world than left handed.

I was born right handed,had a serious accident when I was seven. My right hand was out of action for two years,so I had to switch to left hand never went back.

I hold the rod in the right hand & wind the reel in the left.

It is interesting if you drive a manual car, you have to use your left hand.

Cheers.

• Like 4

Right handed, wind right hand. The argument with many right handed ppl that wind with left is that its slower as you have to switch over. Made no sense to me as they are fully abled ppl, surely they couldnt be that slow to switch hands whilst their rig is in the air.

Plus I find my left arm has more control over the rod and is more sensitive so I can feel more minute taps.

I also see that more right handed ppl that wind with left tend to be more vocal about it, being the "Correct" way to fish. Where right hand right winders arent as often fussed about it.

Edited by Rob81
  • Like 4

I wind right handed and am VERY right handed, there are only a couple of things I can do with my left.

My Dad used to bat left and bowl right handed in cricket.

My sister is a lefty, Mum had to FIGHT with the school teachers for her to be allowed to write left handed.

She plays golf and bats softball right handed.

My youngest son grew up doing things left handed as he watched is mum and older brother doing things as lefty's, but he always kicked and threw things better right handed.

Geez we're a wierd family 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Burger said:

I wind right handed and am VERY right handed, there are only a couple of things I can do with my left.

My Dad used to bat left and bowl right handed in cricket.

My sister is a lefty, Mum had to FIGHT with the school teachers for her to be allowed to write left handed.

She plays golf and bats softball right handed.

My youngest son grew up doing things left handed as he watched is mum and older brother doing things as lefty's, but he always kicked and threw things better right handed.

Geez we're a wierd family 😂

Same as your Dad @Burger although I was never a cricketer, in the backyard I would bowl left and bat right. 
Luckily I could swing a hammer just as good/bad with either hand. As a young carpenter it was a blessing when nailing hardwood wall frames together for days on end.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

It is interesting if you drive a manual car, you have to use your left hand.

I have this academic argument with European friends about which side it is better to have the steering wheel on.

I think Australia has it correct for several reasons. Most people are right handed and the right arm is stronger. The advantage then becomes (pre-automatic and power steering cars) that you could operate the indicator and steer single handed with the right hand and do gear changes (which required less strength) with the left.

I had to replace my car earlier this year and bought a manual again because I enjoy the way they drive. I specifically went Japanese with the indicator on the right as it saves me lifting hand off the gear stick to indicate and then back down to the gear stick to change gears and then up to the indicator to cancel it on say a lane change. Annoyed the heck out of me when I had an Alfa Romeo for a year or so and so I promised myself that I'd probably never get a European car again.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4

It can be an advantage (being left-handed) in sports like tennis, at least at the club level. The pros are too well prepared, but with lesser opponents the flight of serves can befuddle them. It's funny to watch good players shake their heads and stare at their racquet after mis hitting one of my serves!

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1