Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to Bate Bay just on sunrise. Bugger all wind and no drift, and swell not too bad either. Don't normally head out on a Sunday, but the forecast was good so decided to go.

With the lack of drift, it was hard finding even the spikies, so I kept moving about and eventually found a patch of blue spots, guessing about 150 feet of water, similar to last time I was out. Used a couple of the spikies for bait, and only 2 just under blue spots tossed back.

A breeze eventually started around 9am or so, from the south/west, but I had enough so headed back in. No surface action or bird action to be seen, however, that was taken up by a few whales heading south on several occasions.

fish.jpeg.369_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done, it seems like you can always locate the flatties. Good on you for getting out as well, today's weather is beautiful.

Thank you. It was a good day out, fish wise and weather wise.

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

Some good sized ones in there! Nice catch!

worth the run out when the conditions are good. Were there many boats out there today?

A few nice ones in the catch.

Plenty of boats out and about. I pulled up one flattie, then had a larger boat stop nearby, then another boat dropped by as well.

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Very nice bag Yowie

I was down at Oak park for a paddle in the water this morning and saw heaps of boats out in the bay. The weather didn't seem to match the forecast but who cares if we get out to enjoy the sun:)

Plenty of boats, a few jet skis, and closer to the shore were kayaks, outriggers, stand ups, and a surf boat in Gunnamatta Bay. And a few swimmers heading up to Bass and Flinders.

A few whales to be seen, mostly humpbacks, but one was slightly smaller and looked like a minke whale.

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out to Bate Bay just on sunrise. Bugger all wind and no drift, and swell not too bad either. Don't normally head out on a Sunday, but the forecast was good so decided to go.

With the lack of drift, it was hard finding even the spikies, so I kept moving about and eventually found a patch of blue spots, guessing about 150 feet of water, similar to last time I was out. Used a couple of the spikies for bait, and only 2 just under blue spots tossed back.

A breeze eventually started around 9am or so, from the south/west, but I had enough so headed back in. No surface action or bird action to be seen, however, that was taken up by a few whales heading south on several occasions.

fish.jpeg.369_files_files_files.jpg

Good feed there mate!

I had to take one for the team yesterday and took the misses out into Botany Bay, drove up to the heads and yeah it was flat, she refuses to go outside if it’s a bath out there…. Ah well.

3 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Good feed there mate!

I had to take one for the team yesterday and took the misses out into Botany Bay, drove up to the heads and yeah it was flat, she refuses to go outside if it’s a bath out there…. Ah well.

Thank you. Once out past the heads there was a bit of swell that gave the boat a little bit of sway, so your missus would not have liked it.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great catch Dave- tea for a few days - seems like the whiting have gone off the bite?? (Nippers for bait?) for 

Thanks Bob. A few feeds, and some to go around to others.

The whiting were deadly quiet last week, however, there should be some around now.