Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to near Lilli Pilli. Very quiet, only the tailor and the crab pulled up, even the little reddies were hard to hook.

Moved to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, and only pulled up one whiting there. Headed to Lilli Pilli flats and drifted for the bream, dropped another smaller one and nothing else. Time to try a couple of secret spots  -  one did not produce anything, another whiting and blackfish at another spot, and the last one produced the larger whiting on the last cast. A mixed bag of fillets to take home.

Still a bit of colour in the water up from Lilli Pilli.

fish.jpeg.370_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 11

Interesting mixed bag there, the water is still pretty dirty, I struggled to get two Bream off the rocks yesterday afternoon, fishing in water like a chocolate milkshake. Going to see if there's any Whiting on the beach this weekend.

5 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Lovely feed Yowie, what is the go right now in the hacking?

Well done.

quiet and squidless

Unusual of you to be catching blackfish, although they do eat nippers i assume you caught it on one. might see the whiting start to be on the chew again with warming waters. Great bag as always with plently of fall back options

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, noelm said:

Interesting mixed bag there, the water is still pretty dirty, I struggled to get two Bream off the rocks yesterday afternoon, fishing in water like a chocolate milkshake. Going to see if there's any Whiting on the beach this weekend.

The whiting were quiet again, so maybe they are swimming around the beaches.

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice mixed bag Dave, good to see you back into the whiting mate👍

Thanks Bob, just had some crumbed and pan fried whiting fillets tonight. 👍

6 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Lovely feed Yowie, what is the go right now in the hacking?

Well done.

Anything could be happening now, just a matter of trying, though the fish are a bit scattered at present.

6 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Great result as usual mate.I would of thought you’d catch a tree branch or washing machine currently in the hacking as this weathers been terrible.

Thanks Fab. There were a number of branches floating about, but the worst thing in the lower part of the river is great clumps of floating slime weed.

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Some nice fillets to come off those, and a bonus crab! 👍 nice

Handy having a few secret spots to switch it up when your regular spots aren’t producing.

Thank you. Crab entree for another night. Sometimes the secret spots produce a fish or 2, other times there is bugger all.

3 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done that's a nice mix bag 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Good mix.

Well done.

Thank you. A feed of whiting fillets tonight, the others in another recipe later.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

quiet and squidless

Unusual of you to be catching blackfish, although they do eat nippers i assume you caught it on one. might see the whiting start to be on the chew again with warming waters. Great bag as always with plently of fall back options

The blackfish took a nipper and put up a fair fight for it's size. Hopefully the whiting kick back in soon. I drifted over the squirt worm beds and saw nothing swimming about, but that is where I hooked the bream. It does not look big, however, it was high in the body and fat, and pulled the scales down to a bit under 2 pound.

Thanks Rob. Plenty of snotty weed floating about, mainly in the lower sections, and, it is mongrel stuff. You wonder why no bites, then wind in to find the nipper hidden in the weed.

26 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Good to see a Yowie platter again! Has the snotty weed gone yet? I'm hanging to get back out there soon!