Jibbon comes through

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Headed up to the northern side of Bate Bay, but conditions weren’t good. Water was really still and the fish weren’t on the bite. Met fellow fish raider @M1100S 👍. Had a little chat on the water, at the time neither of us were having any luck.

After trying for an hour or two with only some random fish to show for my efforts, I left to try a deep water reef a little wider ~ 45m deep. Could see fish on the bottom, but they were either small fish stealing bait or not interested, so I left after a few drifts.

Headed down to my flathead spot past jibbon, after an hour and a half had the esky full. Blue Spots ranging in size from 40-48cm with only one smaller fish under 40.
Decided to try live baiting so went wide off jibbon bommie and sounded up a bait ball - hooked up a few yellowtails. As I was catching bait, I could see some larger fish following which I had thought were kingies. I cast out a streakz curly tail in Pearl and let it waft.
Bail open I notice the line start to peel off on the drop at speed, I snap close the bail and set the hook!  I’m on with what I think is a small king, it’s trying to head down, but I turn it, when I see colour I realise it’s a nice snapper! It was a nice hump headed fish that went 56cm. 
After landing the fish I went back over the drift a couple more times with a livie - for no takers.

tried inside for squid for half an hour - still none around.

26645BB4-1CD8-4A60-A8DD-1EE827E98664.thumb.jpeg.661092eca8c8a86e78d6fa5b8d07889c.jpegABDF759B-1F55-47A2-AD3E-542DFF8E9A60.thumb.jpeg.f16ce5beb4bc078cfc4a89985181035c.jpeg233158AD-CA0E-4788-8B91-21D2A1DE2923.thumb.jpeg.0a691b95be197f142ba42957255b55c6.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 14

beautiful snapper with a great bag of flatties too! good job mate. 

Funny things squid are, they are no where to be seen now. There were a few here n there at yowie and lillipilli but since gone with the endless rain we've had. You should try some of the deeper reefs maybe

• Like 1

Was nice to run into you chris... thank for the tips you gave about bate bay

My day was like yours, managed one 36cm pannie in bate bay then went a little quiet so headed to cape banks and managed 2 more pannies...32 amd 33cm. No stonkers like yours i have to say....well done on the snapper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restyle said:

beautiful snapper with a great bag of flatties too! good job mate. 

Funny things squid are, they are no where to be seen now. There were a few here n there at yowie and lillipilli but since gone with the endless rain we've had. You should try some of the deeper reefs maybe

Thanks restyle!
I’ve been testing for squid on every trip out - although I’m not spending hours I’ll do a few drifts. Over the last few weeks I’ve tried around Lilly pilly, both sides of the entrance to the hacking, and just outside. Haven’t tried deep water as I’ve been too focused on chasing snapper on SP’s

1 minute ago, M1100S said:

Was nice to run into you chris... thank for the tips you gave about bate bay

My day was like yours, managed one 36cm pannie in bate bay then went a little quiet so headed to cape banks and managed 2 more pannies...32 amd 33cm. No stonkers like yours i have to say....well done on the snapper.

Hey George, 3 pannies still good mate!

Water was really still up that end this morning, with no bait balls to work the SP’s through. Baits were only catching rubbish.
Much better when there’s a little water movement. 

Found the bait balls down south and a nicer drift. Was hoping for a kingy, but happy picking up a decent red.

12 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Got some top fish there and some nice eating also 

Thanks masterfisho! 
my kids favourite is the battered flatties.

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

A nice bag of blue spots, and a bonus reddie of good eating size. 👍

thanks yowie, 

unfortunately won’t be eating this snapper either. Got orders to fill lol.

It’s amazing when people find out your bringing home fish, how many put in requests for a free feed.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

A slow start Chris, but your perseverance paid off - well done and well deserved. I can’t understand fishos who go to one spot and stay there for the whole session and not get fish😒

Thanks pickles! Had to work a little in the beginning. Sometimes a change in tide will bring them on, but wasn’t feeling it at the first spot. Day came good in the end.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Cracking bag on fish Larkin, well done. The snapper keep coming for you.

Hopefully some squid soon.

Thanks Isaac!

wafting plastics through bait balls has been working really well for me. I’ve tried a few different colours, but the pearl white colour seems to do the job on snapper.

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

thanks yowie, 

unfortunately won’t be eating this snapper either. Got orders to fill lol.

It’s amazing when people find out your bringing home fish, how many put in requests for a free feed.

Tell them to get off their arse and catch their own.  :074:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Tell them to get off their arse and catch their own.  :074:

Haha, they can owe me a favour 😉

seriously though, I enjoy having them try some really fresh fish. Sometimes I even prepare the spices, herbs to go along with it 😂 

• Like 1