Bass’n the Hawkesbury

Pickles

Had a call from a mate who wanted to give the harbour Kingies a rest and enjoy the whip birds, kingfishers and peace and quiet of the Upper Hawkesbury. Things didn’t quite work out that way as the fish were going nuts. They were chasing prawns that were jumping on the surface and being hammered by schools of Bass. I haven’t seen them in a feeding frenzy before, but today was the day and we boated over 20 fish the smallest going 32 and largest 43 (no littl ones - I suspect they were bullied away by the big boys and girls). 
interesting we caught them on Spinner baits, “Shimma Shrimps”, Feral Cat deep divers (purple/ black) and most surprising of all,  30g silver spoons (Raiders).

The biggest surprise of the outing was a 44cm flathead - the first cast of the day (in fresh water).

The way the prawns were running - it’s going to be a bumper season. 

1801D4DB-57A8-44A7-A394-D91C34B1FEE2.jpeg

1A47F328-9C71-40D5-A75C-B6698062F25E.jpeg

6032501E-B59E-4730-B98D-CAC3878FB041.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pic
  • Like 18

8 hours ago, Restyle said:

awesome stuff, shielded from the wind upriver aswell. Love the banana as always. good giggle haha.

Cheers Chris, the prediction was for lousy weather on saltwater, hence the bass session and glad I did as it was one of the most consistent days of big bass I’ve had in 35 years. ( I was requested to ”edit” the pic of the banana - out of respect, did so, if interested, PM me and I’ll explain).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work there Bob, some nice bass.

I remember the day with you when the bass were on, good sport at the smaller size, so the bigger ones must have been really good fun. Are the prawns eating size yet?

Prawns are almost eating size and there are heaps of them, we could see them swimming past in numbers (wish we had a pawn net), so going to be a bumper season Dave.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Nice fish.  Is that at the Skeletons, Lower Portland?

Just down river on the next bend around from the ski park there at Colo  confluence - there was a big eddy and several large trees that washed down in the flood and they were hanging out there in the submerged branches. 

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2