No Kingies, but good day fishing.

Pickles

Reports of strong winds and rough seas changed plans for a day chasing kings in Sydney Harbour.

Plan B was to hit the Colo for Bass, as last trip was spectacularly successful, with 40 Bass caught and released.

I took Rosie, my 4 Legged buddy with me on her first trip on the boat (Dogs not welcome in National Park at Roseville boat ramp) - being a Labrador Retriever pup, I did well to keep her in the boat as she wanted to dive in and retrieve every fish I caught. For those who haven’t caught Bass before, they have razor sharp gill spikes and really hurt if they get you, so she wasn’t allowed to “play”.

I fished for 2 hours and boated over a dozen fish, biggest going 43cm, could have stayed longer and caught more, but didn’t seem like a lot of point as “catch and release”.

Lures were pink and purple “Feral Cat” deep divers. Black and purple spinner baits and 38mm black prawn blade vibes and of course, ever necessary ‘nana.

C15B7D16-EFC3-4272-942F-7873B5E6D7F3.jpeg

94EF7BA3-09C1-463C-909F-A29588E33266.jpeg

B2CB28DF-EEEE-47F1-A93C-7D8E5E7F6BCF.jpeg

CBB3767A-5055-4906-8E38-9F7B1CED29D3.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 17

14 minutes ago, noelm said:

Haven't been "Bass'n" for years, might give it a go again, there's quite a few within easy walking in the Illawarra, but most don't know about them.

Go get ‘em Noel, great fun on light gear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Plan B was to hit the Colo for Bass, as last trip was spectacularly successful, with 40 Bass caught and released.

Where can one launch into the Colo River and what sized boats can navigate it (

if you don't mind me asking)?

On 11/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Bob although this isn't in relation to Berowra specifically we used to do a fair bit of fishing for Mullet, both as teenagers and later when land based game came into the picture. When fishing for Mullet in the upper reaches of the Georges River (particularly around Landsvale) we used to use small Luderick style floats, set about 4ft deep with the lead (sheet-lead) about a foot above a size 8 bronzed treble and fresh white bread squeezed on to almost hide the treble completely. The float would go up and down a couple of times before disappearing totally and we'd strike hard. If you fished shallower you got much smaller Mullet. 

We used to stand on old car doors in the water (it was really muddy) and consistently catch plenty of good sized Mullet. Quite often when there were about 8-10 young blokes fishing there in the afternoons and you had to watch for flying floats as some of the common ones used were aluminium stemmed and became 'missiles' that often stuck in the muddy bank behind where we stood.

Closer to home, around the bay at Fivedock we fished same way, same depth with the only difference being a size 6 suicide was used instead of the treble as these were kept alive for use as bait the next day, whereas the Landsvale ones were caught for fillet bait.

Around the Harbour we've caught plenty on mince while Yakka fishing around Leichhardt and bacon fat with the rind on is also extra good sometimes. Of a night we've found they go for the floating bread but they don't like getting too close to the boat/wharf. @kingfish101 is probably the guy to chat with re Berowra Mullet

Many thanks for the tips

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:54 AM, GordoRetired said:

Only ever tried Bass fishing once, we hiked into the Colo River. Did not get a single hit. Where are you getting yours?

Gordo, give me a pm and we’ll organise an outing and smash ‘em, I’m getting at least a dozen each outing at present in the Colo/ Hawkesbury.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Larkin said:

Winds been a pain of late, but looks like good weather’s coming up in the new week. Time to get out there on the kings.

Well done on the bass!

Yep, that’s my plan Chris - Tues / Wed on Kingies, (hope the squid are easy).