Gotta Love Cod Fishing!!

Hill373737

Some days are just meant to be - today was a beautiful early start up at Split Rock Dam then 5 casts into an area of shallows along a grassy bank, I picked up this 121cm model, fishing a Cod Walloper surface lure.

By time I got it to the boat, I think we were both knackered!!! I swam it beside the boat for quite a while, then into the boat for a couple of quick photos then another long swim before it cruised off. 

There's a lot of casts between fish but days like this make it worthwhile!!

IMG_5305 Large.jpeg

IMG_5310.jpeg

IMG_5311 Large Large.jpeg

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Amazing fish, would have been a mega fight!!

What weight line do you use for cod fishing?

Usually 30 to 40 lb braid and 40 to 50 lb leader. Cod hit hard and head straight for their snag, so need to be stopped pretty quickly. bn

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

WOW that's an absolute cracker of a Cod, and would have given you a decent runaround. That's the beauty of Cod fishing, you have no idea whether a 30cm model or a monster like yours is going to strike. Great photos too! bn

Thanks Neil - I was daydreaming watching the sunrise when the cod hit a couple of metres from the boat, I initially thought it may have been a smaller cod foul-hooked as it went deep and the wind blew the boat out into much deeper water. After all the rain we've had recently, the water is still milk coffee coloured and I never got closer than the leader knot out of the water then it would run again. I reckon my heart rate climbed rapidly when I finally got a look at the size of its head and realised I was onto something special. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Usually 30 to 40 lb braid and 40 to 50 lb leader. Cod hit hard and head straight for their snag, so need to be stopped pretty quickly. bn

I was actually fishing 20lb braid with 30lb leader - in Split Rock with the high water levels, I tend to fish the shallow low slope grassy edges especially the fingers of shallower water that stick out  - there isn't a lot of snags as the cod move up to the shallows to feed which would be very different to what Neil is usually fishing in the rivers. I'm also looking for longer casting distances and the lighter braid certainly helps with that.

For the Raider gear junkies, I was fishing:

Samaki SZG-661BMH 10-17lb line rating rod

Abu Garcia Revo 4 Premier baitcaster

20lb Fins Evolve X8 with 30lb Sunline Fluoro leader tied to main line with a Crazy Alberto knot - (I'm crap at tying FG knots that I can trust)

A big disclaimer here is that this is my first year  fishing primarily fresh water so my thinking is likely to change next week!! 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1