Kayak spot - Salmon in figtree cove middle harbour sydney with maps - great for kayaking

Cballz

Hi All,

I've been trying to make the most of my new (to me) yak in Fig Tree Cove in Middle Harbor.

The weather has been poor but I have been pulling in salmon after salmon, to the point where I am now bored of drag tearing off my little Stradic 2500... and felt is spewing out the sides.

Depending on wind direction I am basically pulling a drift from point A to point B visa versa. and I am throwing a small metal casting jig (7g) and a paddle tail Zman in a purply silver colour with a 2/0 3.5g jig head fast retrieve for both.

Bait seems to stack at the sand flat edge, and at about 6m deep about 15m from the edge of the sand flat. I have seen kings cruising there too and would welcome some tips to target then in the shallows.

I have noticed, other people pull up to the spot and basically sit on the bait that was sitting 10/15m off the flat and appear to kill the bite, so if boating I recommend parking back further than you think you should and practice that long cast!

image.thumb.png.9a20d83ade3a6ea5ee816a4dc102ddfe.png

This is a video I made recently but have had about 5 identical trips there in the past month.

It's an awesome spot to yak, and launching at Willis road isn't too difficult when compared with paddling from Tunks park.

I've tried the surrounding bays/creeks etc. but for some reason, all day salmon are firing here.

If you have the opportunity to try the spot soon and get onto salmon please let me know! for now I am off to find another spot in the fishing reports to catch something other than salmon!!!

CBALLZ

• Like 20

27 minutes ago, Joehax said:

Nice video! I also love those cheap Ali express jigs.. can't beat them for the price 

nothing worse than losing nice ones to a snag... especially the nicer nomad ones. they have so many hooks its impossible to keep them off snags forever

Great report and excellent vid @Cballz. Some great action on those salmon. I agree with you about yellowfinned pike, if bled straight away, eaten within 24 hours, they are sweet delicate flesh. Those that say “They stink and taste just as bad” have forgotten what Jew fish smell like and no one complains about how they taste ( don’t like how easily the scales come off all over the boat though).

thanks for sharing, look forward to future reports.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, LuckyFil said:

You may have already tried this, but if you’re sick of catching salmon you could try letting your lures sink under the bait schools as there’s likely to be other predators lurking!

I haven't thought to try that so I'll give it a go. I know there are kings around that spot in reasonable number considering you can see them in clear water.... I think ill try it tomorrow

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 5:06 AM, Pickles said:

Great report and excellent vid @Cballz. Some great action on those salmon. I agree with you about yellowfinned pike, if bled straight away, eaten within 24 hours, they are sweet delicate flesh. Those that say “They stink and taste just as bad” have forgotten what Jew fish smell like and no one complains about how they taste ( don’t like how easily the scales come off all over the boat though).

thanks for sharing, look forward to future reports.

never caught a Jew but hope to see what everyone is talking about regarding smell soon!