At long last, the Murrumbidgee is back in business

big Neil

As the title says, the 'Bidgee is open for business and the Cod are in their best condition for years... super fat, super heavy, and super hard to find.

Report so far.

I went out for a few hours to check the boat ramp out, that was on Wednesday, after bowls had finished. The ramp was cleaned of the tons of mud, left from the big floods. The picture below shows the ramp now, a few weeks back the water was about 7m higher and the entire ramp was under water.

1897329321_IMG_4148(1)rs.thumb.jpg.7a54e5fb5d2d531c1024257f71d28eac.jpg

I was only doing a bit of a recce but had the rods with me so fished for a few hours. Caught a healthy Cod of 53cm (returned) and a temporary healthy Carp of 58 cms (despatched).

637553692_IMG_4147(1)rs.thumb.jpg.d3a515b40ca90b16fe0809a7fd234015.jpg

This morning I went out in the boat to continue the recce. Almost came unstuck as I hit a submerged obstacle which almost overturned the boat. It wasn't there previously and I was a bit lucky. I made a decision to take it easy and take note of the changes in snag location. I fished my usual haunts and never got a bite in 5 hrs. Decided on one more cast, as I started to tidy the boat up, ready for the trip back to the ramp, and got a powerful hit. A nice fat, heavy Murray Cod of 64cms. Apologies for the crappy photo, but you get the idea.

407166442_IMG_4152(1)rs.thumb.jpg.9ed8fec3118e669962b8ae35ad4c0ed6.jpg

Headed slowly back to the ramp, pleased that I had 2 from 2. Planning to head out early next week.

bn

• Like 15

7 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Awesome! Great to see your local is back on the bite.

Sorry to hijack your post but I fished the upper reaches of the bidgee this morning in the high country. No fish landed there but it was amazing to see where this great river starts.

20230106_062912.jpg

No worries mate, I'm always open to learning more about where I fish. Cheers, bn

12 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. Great to see you back out in the boat and a few green fish coming aboard.

Hope it stays that way for you for a while, you have had some pretty lean times lately down your way.

Frank

Sure has been a lengthy wait Frank. Might be enough water left for some Winter fishing this year.

13 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Good to see you can get back out on your local waters again and catch a few BN. Also nice to hear the fish are healthy and survived the floods okay.

Thanks GH. The floods are actually ideal conditions for Cod breeding and subsequent survival in their early development. Trouble is they don't happen with any regularity.

bn

• Like 1