Smashing the Bass in the Colo

Pickles

Another brilliant day on the Bass - crook weather (wet & windy), but better than the harbour. Hit the water with some kids from school & their dad (still on holidays and wanted a lesson in the freshwater).

11 fish before 7 am and 31 fish by 8.40, (with multiple hookups and one where we all hooked up on a school). Gotta love Feralcatt lures - deadly.

A great morning with Tony, Lachlan and James, now “Bassassins”

AFE7058A-6EE9-459C-92D9-BB25AF18983A.jpeg

DBE29102-21B7-4313-8549-455349150D07.jpeg

9C69D7F1-B924-4B2E-B91D-96979FEFD722.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Please c
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

You are firing on Bass fishing!

Weather has been so variable in the harbour and outside lately, it’s so convenient to nick down to the river for a quick flick and get back to watch the cricket (rain delayed - again.

Edited by Pickles
  • Sad 1

Great sessions indeed.

Swordie and another raider fished that area recently and scored several dozen bass. Awaiting the report and pics @J0nn0 🎣

swordie figured out why the Feralcatt lures are successful 😉

@Pickles I want to thank you for giving so many raiders the opportunity to fish and catch their “best and/firsts” 

Bless you Bob 🙏🏻

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Great sessions indeed.

Swordie and another raider fished that area recently and scored several dozen bass. Awaiting the report and pics @J0nn0 🎣

swordie figured out why the Feralcatt lures are successful 😉

@Pickles I want to thank you for giving so many raiders the opportunity to fish and catch their “best and/firsts” 

Bless you Bob 🙏🏻

Always a pleasure, God made a great world for us to enjoy and share. (Did Stewy have his bananas scent for the Feralcatt’s)

Edited by Pickles
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Weather has been so variable in the harbour and outside lately, it’s so convenient to nick down to the river for a quick flick and get back to watch the cricket (rain delayed - again.

I reckon you caught more bass than the South Africans scored in the cricket - well done mate

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Not very hard to find at the moment Yowie. Chuck the lure into a likely spot and they follow it out. bn

That is why I am now calling him Bassbob. He knows where to find them.

I had never caught a bass until I was a crewman on his boat. I grabbed half a large bucket of prawns from a trawlerman ($50 it cost me, and I was eating prawns for several days after :banana:)  We keep a hundred or so alive, caught a few fish in the Hawkesbury then headed to a secret spot and dropped over live prawns. 

3 of us caught over 30 bass, I was using a whiting rod and 6 pound mono and the rod was bent over like a horseshoe as they fight quite hard for their size.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Another brilliant day on the Bass - crook weather (wet & windy), but better than the harbour. Hit the water with some kids from school & their dad (still on holidays and wanted a lesson in the freshwater).

11 fish before 7 am and 31 fish by 8.40, (with multiple hookups and one where we all hooked up on a school). Gotta love Feralcatt lures - deadly.

Are they nice eatting fish? I bought a jade perch yesterday, they were fatty, but not as fat/oily as the silver perch?

40 minutes ago, papafish said:

Are they nice eatting fish? I bought a jade perch yesterday, they were fatty, but not as fat/oily as the silver perch?

I would call them average eating, and I have eaten many fish species.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

What area is this pickles ? Do we get an insight into your secret spot

2 hours ago, Amilyo said:

No doubt Bob will tell you exactly where he fishes as he doesn't keep secret spots Watch this space and all will be revealed. bn

8 hours ago, Amilyo said:

Sure @Amilyo, If you read my previous posts, I’ve highlighted the areas, but like all fishing, it’s not about “secret spots”, but techniques and understanding the habits of the fish you are targeting, then applying the techniques to the conditions and habits of the fish in that area.

Seven years ago, One of my friends offered, quite genuinely, to give me “privileged”  information on how to make a lot of money without much effort. He told me his investment advisor said the next BIg thing was going to be crypto-currency, I responded that I was interested and would do some research as I didn’t know if he was going to be correct, (but I know that the only way to improve chances of success is to do the research and seek the counsel of wise and experienced others and then keep doing the research) Fishing is the same (as are most things in life) -  10,000 hours of training / practice to become a world expert, to expect to take “advice”, without putting in the time is a sure fire path to disappointment. Needless to say, I didn’t (and won’t) “invest” in crypto-currencies.

Back to catching Bass:
The areas that you catch fish today -  season / climatic conditions / food source of the fish / water temp / barometric pressure/ wind strength and direction etc, will change as these criteria change. As a Christian and Gundungurra man, I understand that there is no such thing as “co- incidence”, but reading the signs and understanding the connections between the land and our creator (God) and then looking for the same conditions as the last successful outing. This occurs with time and experience -  We become old and wise by being young and stupid and not continuing being “young and stupid” (“a fool repeating his folly is like a dog returning to its vomit” - Proverbs 26:11). A pretty good fishing philosophy is “Don’t get envious, get inspired”, your passions (dreams, hopes, desires, company you keep) will inform, transform and determine who you become. If that is to be a successful fisherman, then it means putting in the time, sitting under the tutelage of a mentor and learning “The mens business”.  In Koori culture our Aunties and Uncles are the holders of knowledge which is passed to us and from us, to our mob (those willing to spend time learning by watching following and applying) to others. I can tell you how to play the yardakki  (white fellas call didgeridoo), but it takes practice and determination to keep at it and being willing to make small improvements and lots more practice (with instruction) - no quick results.

This is a rather expanded response to a simple question, but like all “simple” questions, there are not “simple” answers. If you want to know a sure fire, can’t miss “spot X” to get Bass TODAY (and probably) tomorrow, it is below the ripples at Yarramundi below the Yarramundi bridge and off the sand island -  cast into the moving water and let it float back into the still and retrieve slowly. BUT, the conditions, time of day, lures (or bait if you bait fish) colour of lure, whether they are surface, divers, paddlers etc are a function of what the fish are feeding on TODAY, are the cicadas active, Christmas beetles, crickets, sprat or herring etc their current food? I can be pretty sure you will catch Bass there land based and probably a trout as well. The other sure fire spot land based, is at the confluence of the Nepean river and Glenbrook creek (trout here also).

Do you have a boat / kayak or only land based. Bass are not usually like Estuary Perch who school up around specific structures all year round, so having a boat, kayak etc greatly improves your chances.

I’m happy to take you out and show you some spots, but you’d have to have a tow bar on your car and tow my boat as driving is an issue due to narcolepsy as a result of PTSD - will explain if you get in touch.

Blessings Bob (Pickles)

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, papafish said:

Sam I don’t usually eat them (a bag limit of 2), I just like their atomic strike and hard fight, I have eaten them and delicate whit flesh- but as far as eating quality, with your wok skills, I reckon you could make anything taste good. 😌 

6 hours ago, pawlu12 said:

looks like fun pickles where a good place to launch a tinny  to fish that area?

Not many public boat ramps. The closest is Lower Portland only good for small tinnies, and after the floods it is dodgy at low tide. Windsor ramp is best, then Wisemans Ferry, which is a magnificent new 3X ramp but 30min run up to the Colo.

There is great Bass territory from Del Rio all the way to Windsor. But there is great fishing around Yarramundi at present all the way to Nth Richmond.

hope this helps