Reel issue

HawkesburyParadise

I've got a reel with mono, braid and fluro carbon. The knot between mono and braid seems to not hide under the braid. I'd left the mono on to avoid braid slipping on the reel. 

Now, When I throw the line out with bait, the braid will flow out until it randomly gets stuck on this knot.

What's the best solution for this? Pic for reference below

20230111_092407.thumb.jpg.10e84835e14c3cd2ab169ecfb4259e63.jpg

I had this issue recently also, as the knot I was using to tie the line to the reel was too large. I respooled the reel, and used an arbor knot to connect the line to the reel. It's a lot slimmer so doesn't catch the outer layers of line when you cast.

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/arbor-knot

Edit... sorry miss read your post. What type of knot did you use to join the mono and braid? I use FG knots and this is usually slim enough to avoid this problem.

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Thanks 1

Strip the braid off ( onto another reel or hand line ) down to the knot and when you wind the braid back  on make sure the knot is right hard up against the bottom edge of the spool or against the lip edge , there is usually a bit of a recess in the line here that the knot will sit down in and allow the top shot of braid to sit more evenly on top . This can also be done on alvey side cast reels - make sure the knot is against the back edge of the spool .

HTH!

27766222-7D29-4849-8035-6B6882F4A798.jpeg.ccae5ef420e7c6714ce0a162d55d4976.jpeg

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few things (repeating others here).

Firstly, it looks like you have insufficient braid on so you are starting to hit the backing on your casts. My first step would be to re-spool line.

Secondly, the double uni joiner knot is clunky and a temporary solution is to unwind sufficient line so that you can access the knot and then line it up so it sits just under the top lip of the spool. The steep angle to the lip helps lift the line over the knot when casting. I do the opposite of what @XD351 suggests but I expect both solutions work.

Thirdly, when you do it again try and use the FG knot and take the time to taper the knot by increasing the number of half hitches so it goes over the end of the mono backing. This knot lays really flat and minimises the chances of the line grabbing on this knot on the way out.

Fourthly, that loop at the top of the spool looks messy. You may have some line management issues in general.

Edited by DerekD
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

I've got plenty of braid on it. It's a 4lb one so maybe it looks less than it is. Before this getting stuck issue, I never reached the mono. 

Also, @DerekD - You're right maybe I do have more issues in the reel. 

So is the 4lb braid the yellow line? If yes, then is the brownish looking line on top fluorocarbon? If that’s correct and you’re using the fluorocarbon as a leader, then it’s way too long. 2 rod lengths is ample and ideally the knot joining the FC to the braid should lay somewhere between the reel and the stripper guide when casting.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue before Christmas. I had put on 150m of 6lb j braid at the beginning of the year and over that time, lost a bit of line to the point where I could see the backing after a long cast. I started getting inexplicable line breakages after a while. On closer inspection, it turned out my line was catching on the backing knot, which had a sharp tag.

It can happen easily when putting thin braid on a reel with relatively large capacity, e.g. 4lb braid on a 2500 reel.

I ended up changing the line, putting on 300m of 4lb Berkeley X9. I did keep the old line for the kids reels.

Line is an expendable item unfortunately.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I had a similar issue before Christmas. I had put on 150m of 6lb j braid at the beginning of the year and over that time, lost a bit of line to the point where I could see the backing after a long cast. I started getting inexplicable line breakages after a while. On closer inspection, it turned out my line was catching on the backing knot, which had a sharp tag.

It can happen easily when putting thin braid on a reel with relatively large capacity, e.g. 4lb braid on a 2500 reel.

I ended up changing the line, putting on 300m of 4lb Berkeley X9. I did keep the old line for the kids reels.

Line is an expendable item unfortunately.

I never have a problem spending the extra cash on a 300m spool as after a while you can reverse it, doubling it’s life and making it more economical in the long run. 
What’s even better is if buying braid directly from Japan, many manufacturers provide a 200m spool.

• Like 1

I don't use braid. Tried it once. Never again

I notice some reels come with a backing for braid & some people use electrical tape.

This is only a suggestion because I do not use braid, but would double sided tape work.

I use it for heaps of problems.

My 10 cents worth.

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I don't use braid. Tried it once. Never again

I notice some reels come with a backing for braid & some people use electrical tape.

This is only a suggestion because I do not use braid, but would double sided tape work.

I use it for heaps of problems.

My 10 cents worth.

Cheers.

Double sided tape wouldn't be a useful idea Rebel. A couple of layers of ordinary electrical tape is ideal for the braid to "bite" into. As many have suggested braid right through, with a f/c leader (fg knot) is suitable for many situations. I use this set up on my baitcaster rod/reel where short, accurate casting is essential. I use mono straight through on my bait rods...seldom have to cast much more than 20 metres. I think, basically, use something that works best for the particular type of fishing you are doing. bn

• Like 2