Belated report coming from the Colo/Hawkesbury River (pics added)

mrsswordfisherman

(movie not uploaded - poor acting by swordie)

3am ugh swordie wakes me and says c’mon c’mon let’s go get some bass.

I was less than happy and begrudgingly got up and got organised. Reading Bob’s reports had secretly got me a little motivated to go and have a look at the area at the junction of the Hawkesbury and Colo Rivers.

The last time I caught any bass in numbers was several years ago when a crew of us used to go regularly to Glenbawn Dam. I was hoping to catch lots.

Off we went to visit the waterway which is tucked away in the upper Hawkesbury and it took us 1.30 hours. Easy to find we launched in the darkness and moved to our first target spot.

C64BB340-5264-46C8-B7D7-AE76042FB9AE.jpeg

Stewy caught a few bass on surface lures using a small black cicada. He was impressed with the surface strikes by the tiny bass. While Stewy was fiddling around with the tiddlers a good sized bass smashed my larger cicada off the surface.

4EE12BB9-B9CA-4DF8-8259-2144FD600404.jpeg

E1C8C356-6514-408A-9706-1DA36C9E783A.jpeg

Bad luck Stewy better luck next time

It was just about to break dawn and I took the opportunity to take a photographic sunset series with my trusty iphone. The silence was deafening and this ambience continued for our visit. There were only 2 water-ski boats that were very quiet and not annoying.

0387F3BE-6B0D-4755-8009-C9DE22D8149C.jpeg

1E9410E2-BE16-43D1-90B0-794E5F9CE276.jpeg

09FA7B6F-7125-4158-9058-371B91117242.jpeg

3FDBF2F6-50CD-43E6-9069-E174FF1E2F62.jpeg

At sunrise we found a sweet beach that was in front of several pretty houses. People were mowing their lawns and walking their dogs enjoying the perfect weather. This is where we stayed and commenced trolling along the bank.

5C6E3D8C-73C7-411E-9AFF-1B6135AAE652.jpeg

This was very productive and we had many double hook ups with size ranging between 20 to 45 cms. I was now on top with 2 fish at 43 cms. My quality and quantity was making swordie a bit sick.

78CAE933-2E0C-49A2-9644-0A367687E9E9.jpeg

I was using my custom made 4 kg bass rod and 2500 Fireblood. The rod maker Tony Davis called it the "Bass Battler Mrs Swordfisherman Special" 

I asked if he would like to use my rod for a while seeing as I was winning most fish AND biggest. He said @#$%#$%^&

8D436024-9B45-4796-BDCC-53478F9742A8.jpeg

650585F6-579A-459A-A984-E3C2E91E815F.jpeg

An hour or so later we met up with Bob and his family. We had a convo about our experience so far and Bob offered intel for the area.

EEEE368E-C969-469D-A476-735B506B3EB1.jpeg

As the morning wore on the bass just kept whacking our Pryml purple lures that ran at 3.1 metres. The water was clear and the fish looked quite healthy. All were returned unharmed. We estimate we caught around 60 or so fish. 

Stewy did catch a nice flattie around 50cms which was a very pale colour and was obviously living on the sand.

D6A3630D-F321-449C-936A-B2B9C0D20059.jpeg

The ferry started at 9am and ferried a few vehicles between the two pieces of land. We continued trolling and casting past Bob and his crew. We were like Indians circling a wagon.

We had decided to call it a day and of course swordie says one last troll (famous last words)

Stewy decides to use his newly war painted unique Poltergeist in purple with attractive black texta stripes and brand new 3D red eyes. It was in the water for 2 seconds and in comes a beautiful 45cm Australian Bass!!

BA823ED7-A686-4809-ADED-80969B364A2B.jpeg

E801A97F-F5D7-4C0C-BB89-75A66F37E610.jpeg

He wins the biggest fish of the day. It was almost mine!

A big thanks to Bob for showing us his country. Here is a link to Dyarubbin country history and culture.

https://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/the_dyarubbin_project_aboriginal_history_culture_and_places_on_the_hawkesbury_river?fbclid=IwAR1g3mhpt_cS2rpv7Be7NieL0FGvXRZgZwUZyrj5ImaQvJOMIP-iHLmF1_4

Positives: met Bob aka Pickles in person – a real gentleman

Enjoyment of the beauty and silence of the river

Learned about the historical significance of the area

No noisy hoons with jet skis

Negatives: cost in tolls and fuel !!

• Like 21

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great to catch-up on the water today Donna, it is special country and deeply significant for Derrubbin mob. You make a very glamorous Fisherlady.

Thank you Bob. Comments too kind - I don’t look glamorous for a 3am start!! I will add my post soon. 

I just researched a little and now understand the significance of the area.

Link below 
https://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/the_dyarubbin_project_aboriginal_history_culture_and_places_on_the_hawkesbury_river

• Like 1

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to Belated report coming from the Colo/Hawkesbury River
  • mrsswordfisherman changed the title to Belated report coming from the Colo/Hawkesbury River (pics added)

You trying to confuse an old bloke Donna? So Stewy worked a swifty on you and kept fishing until he had the biggest Bass AND Flathead? Sounds about right, he is mildly competitive!

Hope you have a good trip down South and get lots of fish...safe travels.   bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

You trying to confuse an old bloke Donna? So Stewy worked a swifty on you and kept fishing until he had the biggest Bass AND Flathead? Sounds about right, he is mildly competitive!

Hope you have a good trip down South and get lots of fish...safe travels.   bn

Nahhhh its a female thing - allow the bloke to think he is the winner........ sometimes :) 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, TheFoosh said:

How is the ramp at Bridge to Nowhere after the floods? Still good for launching?

Well done on the bass!

The ramp is at “Skeleton Rocks” on Lower Portland Road, it is OK at high tide, but has a nasty drop off for boats over 4m and flood has washed the base away. It has s narrow and steepish sides (lots of black on the rocks where trailers have scrubbed their tyres). There is only bush parking and relatively limited turning. Having said that, if you get their early, and take your time and have a 4WD for low tide, you should be fine.

30 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The ramp is at “Skeleton Rocks” on Lower Portland Road, it is OK at high tide, but has a nasty drop off for boats over 4m and flood has washed the base away. It has s narrow and steepish sides (lots of black on the rocks where trailers have scrubbed their tyres). There is only bush parking and relatively limited turning. Having said that, if you get their early, and take your time and have a 4WD for low tide, you should be fine.

Thanks Bob. 
Deckee has the detail. Not wrong about the drop off. 45F941C5-D69F-437E-B3B1-837B40E6DE50.jpeg

C33EE029-78FB-4362-8C06-C8FE3AC0C89B.jpeg

• Thanks 1