Georges river flatties and prawns

SaltyGreek

Went out with my mate Matt this afternoon with the goal of netting some prawns. We met up at 6:30 and whilst we waited for the sun to go down we flicked plastics on the sand flat for some flatties. The bite was pretty good landing 6 between the both of us in a short amount of time, the biggest one going 49cm. Not the biggest of flathead but still good fun. Once the sun went down we pulled out the torches and nets and started hunting our prawns. We walked up and down, finding lots of smallish prawns swimming along the surface with the mullet but we didn’t bother with them. The bigger prawns we caught were found around the rocks and on the edge of the structures. After 2 hours or so we had 25 to take back home. For the Georges river I think that’s pretty good also considering that we’ve never really done a proper prawning session. Has anyone else tried to catch prawns in the georges and if so did you have much luck? 

2A7363AF-4C57-4181-91B2-1D11C038FD5C.thumb.jpeg.491374c56cea11c1270bf398b4261978.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Some good size prawns there. A 49cm flatty is a perfect eating size!

How’s uni going? You would’ve just started if I remember correctly.

It was the perfect size to eat but we decided to release it in the end along with the other just legals. 

Uni hasn’t started just yet Ive got about 3 weeks before it starts

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

It was the perfect size to eat but we decided to release it in the end along with the other just legals. 

Uni hasn’t started just yet Ive got about 3 weeks before it starts

Nice, fish your heart out until then! Good luck for the start of uni.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:46 PM, Larkin said:

Good catch! 👍

I remember seeing people prawn at night all the time on the sand flats next to St George sailing club. That was probably 25 years ago - not sure how it would go these days.

Would have to check it out they might still be around 

• Like 1