Curl Curl Rocks Sunrise Thursday.

Rebel

Hi All,

Cloudy, just after low tide. Peacefull. Love this place.

We arrived just after Sunrise.

Slow to start. Threw back a few tailor.

Then the action started. Caught two decent size Bonitos on lures. These Wilson lures do a lot of damage.

Neighbours will be very happy.

My mate was on bait caught 3 nice bream.

Off to the Newport Arms for breakfast, my second home.

Gear.

Rod 10' Penn Prevail 2. Reel  Penn slammer4 4500hs.  Penn 20lb  super x mono line with Wilson lures.

Cheers.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Good stuff Rebel. Bonnies are good fun on the right tackle I reckon and suckers for bibbed lure like a 6 inch Nilsmaster. 
What Wilson lures are you referring to, if you don’t mind me asking.

The Nilsmaster's were just about the best Bonnie lure I reckon, favourite colour was orange topped with yellow sides and the jointed 6 inch was the absolute killer- still got a few I'll put a picture up later today.

Did you get your fish on metals Rebel?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

The Nilsmaster's were just about the best Bonnie lure I reckon, favourite colour was orange topped with yellow sides and the jointed 6 inch was the absolute killer- still got a few I'll put a picture up later today.

Did you get your fish on metals Rebel?

Hi Waza. Another good lure was those Rapalas with the metal bib. As it wobbled along, the sun would flash off the bib, drawing fish in from quite a distance.

• Like 2

Nice catch, I used to spin that area a fair bit. I remember a "magic" month or so probably about 10 years ago. Schools of bonito, kings, tailor & salmon everywhere, all busting up within casting distance of the rocks. Couldn't buy a halco spinner on the Northern Beaches for love or money. Had to start painting torpedo sinkers white. Kind of worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Hi Waza. Another good lure was those Rapalas with the metal bib. As it wobbled along, the sun would flash off the bib, drawing fish in from quite a distance.

That would be the CD Rapala's. You can still buy them. They are reasonably heavy so they cast well. A tip is to glue some sheet lead to the top of the tail and this stops them tangling with the line in flight. 

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fried Rice said:

Nice catch, I used to spin that area a fair bit. I remember a "magic" month or so probably about 10 years ago. Schools of bonito, kings, tailor & salmon everywhere, all busting up within casting distance of the rocks. Couldn't buy a halco spinner on the Northern Beaches for love or money. Had to start painting torpedo sinkers white. Kind of worked.

Small, white barrel sinkers have always been one of the best frigate lures going. 
Rather than paint, these days just hit them up with a bit of white heat shrink.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Small, white barrel sinkers have always been one of the best frigate lures going. 
Rather than paint, these days just hit them up with a bit of white heat shrink.

Too lazy to use a paint brush, Rembrandt. 🤣 

I suppose the heat shrink is easier.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

@Green Hornet & @wazatherfisherman 

Started some time ago with ganged hooks & pilchards. Caught Tailor

Switched to metals, more Tailor.

Bought some Wilson Fish Trap lures a while ago, on special. Changed to single lure hooks. At first no go, then I used a lime green one & Wamo, success.

Always experimenting

Experimenting like the mad professor. 🤣

Appears to have worked. You need to change now and then, the fish wise up to the smart fishos, so you have to go one up.

• Like 1

@Yowie Right on.

I am not into Squid fishing. Never been really interested, but I noticed a Nomad Squidtrex  lure being advertised yesterday. Don't know how long they have been around, but worth a try.

Different colours. Will just have to take the risk.

Anybody used these lures ?

Cheers.

7 hours ago, Rebel said:

@Yowie Right on.

I am not into Squid fishing. Never been really interested, but I noticed a Nomad Squidtrex  lure being advertised yesterday. Don't know how long they have been around, but worth a try.

Different colours. Will just have to take the risk.

Anybody used these lures ?

Cheers.

They are new lures that just came out a few days ago. Good on a boat in Queensland area for coral reef fish I've heard

• Like 1

A good report of a good day on the water Rebel. Love the comment about your "second home" LOL Have you found that lure fishing in proximity to someone bait fishing actually helps the bait fisho to hook up? Definitely the case with Murray Cod.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

You raise a good point @big Neil. The funny thing is, when beach fishing with lures I’ve noticed totally the opposite.

Countless times when “prospecting” with a few casts in each gutter/hole, I’ve come across bait fishermen and if there’s room I’ll ask if they mind if I have a cast or two. Often I’ll get the reply “go ahead, I’ve been here for an hour without a bite”, then go down and hook a fish first cast and another on the next. 

The look on their faces is priceless as I thank them before moving on.

Edit: I should add the bait guys are always fishing pilchards on gang hooks.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

You raise a good point @big Neil. The funny thing is, when beach fishing with lures I’ve noticed totally the opposite.

Countless times when “prospecting” with a few casts in each gutter/hole, I’ve come across bait fishermen and if there’s room I’ll ask if they mind if I have a cast or two. Often I’ll get the reply “go ahead, I’ve been here for an hour without a bite”, then go down and hook a fish first cast and another on the next. 

The look on their faces is priceless as I thank them before moving on.

Edit: I should add the bait guys are always fishing pilchards on gang hooks.

That's interesting GH.   bn

• Like 2