Cobblers Bay - Condoms and fresh poo

Funfishing

Sorry I have to vent. I went to Cobblers bay today afternoon for a quick session (I know the tide was not right but I just want to get out for few casts). I cut through the bush to get down to the rocks because i don't want to take a long walk to the beach then to the rocks. I didn't realise the number of used condoms were in the bush, the amount of rubbish between the rocks were unbelievable and some beach goer took a dump behind the rocks about 100 m away from where I stood. 

I can stand a bit of rubbish between the rocks but condoms and fresh poo are the tipping point for me. People want clean and nice beach but the dump all their waste anywhere they want. I honestly will not recommend this beach to anyone.

Edited by Funfishing
  • Sad 8

It is sickening to see what some members of the public think is ok on the waterfront. We have had a few threads recently about cleaning up after other people as a matter of good will, but cleaning up this kind of rubbish is next level!

The rubbish situation has become so bad at my local spots that I'm considering having a garbage bag and a grabber as a standard carry in my tackle belt. Some individuals clearly think it's ok to have a meal of maccas and leave all the rubbish in situ to blow into the water. This morning I cleared 20m of 50lb mono, soft drinks and chip packets off a wharf! None of it was mine. Just not cool!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It's just a sign of the times, where I live, there is a small car park across the road, over looking the water, there is a big council bin right there, but most Saturday nights, people park there and eat their take away (usually Maccas) and just toss the rubbish out the window, now and then I catch them and give them a yell (much to my wife's dismay, she reckons someone will retaliate) but usually Sunday morning for me is taking a bag over the road to clean up the mess. People are just lazy, entitled pigs, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 4

I live on the Central Coast and fish mainly around The Entrance. The rubbish people leave lying around is appalling. Dirty nappies, used syringes, fast food and drink packaging, broken camp chairs, bbq  cookers etc etc.

Fishermen are the worst, with bait bags and buckets, tangles of line, hooks, batteries, broken rods, knives, sinkers, fluorescent night sticks etc.

Locals blame the tourists but you only have to visit your local high school playground at lunch to realise that kids here are hopeless with rubbish. I’m sure their parents probably set the example.

I’ve seen many tourist families enjoying the beautiful parks and waterways here who leave no trace of their picnics and other activities. Criticism from locals is often quite racist too….I don’t know the answer to this other than education at school and home and a serious government funded education strategy through all forms of media coupled with dedicated rangers to provide some serious level of visibility and enforcement of littering regulations and penalties.

In the meantime, I try to fill my bucket with rubbish as I walk back from fishing to my car…often picking up some useful kit that I can keep making it worth the effort.

KB

• Like 3

I live in a pretty cool location Golf coarse behind me and park opposite and it's a coldersac ( dead end ) with a dog park , I spend a lot of time sitting on the front verandah watching life go by. people use my street as a dumping ground for all manner of rubbish. One day a guy parked just over the road from me deliberately threw all his scrap maccas waste out the window right in front of me. I walked over to his car picked up the garbage and threw it back through the  window onto his lap and said Bin it OR take it home, he looked at me as if I was some sort of nut case. next morning sitting on the middle of my front lawn was a wheelie bin sized pile of rubbish.

Another time I told a guy to take his rubbish home and that night I had a rock thrown through my bedroom window cost me 40 bucks for a new pain of glass.

I often have confrontations with people about their rubbish and my better half tells me one day I will come back home with a knife sticking out of my stomach, but I just can't help myself I need to say something to these low lifes .

Frank

• Like 5

I know exactly how you feel, what's wrong with people these days? I pick up stuff all the time, and I am not some kind of tree hugger, it's just common decency! Yesterday I went over the road and picked up some rubbish, there was a person standing beside his car, with the rubbish a few feet away from him, as I was picking it up, he said "some people are grubs" I said back to him "yes, and some people just stand there and don't pick up rubbish" I don't think he quite understood my comment.

• Like 2

I get the kids from the high school down the road walking past and they throw their empty drink bottles on my front lawn - surely they could carry it another 100m and stick it in the bin at the school . Maccas at padstow have a worker walking the street up around to the park on Stuart st just to pick up all the rubbish left behind every night - usually about an Otto bin full every morning .

• Like 2

Worst experience I've had was at work (working in a kitchen) we had this camp come and for the most part they were all right, small bits of rubbish here and there but 99% was in the bin. The problem though, someone came around into the kitchen (staff access only) right into the food prep area and put a dirty nappy in the bin, not even wrapped in a bag. And then on the final day, I found another used, non wrapped nappy sitting on the serving station. There are literally bins everywhere no idea why someone would go to the effort of coming around just to use the kitchen bin. On the last day, same group, we were pilling the rubbish bags out the side of the kitchen waiting for the truck, anyways they thought it's a smart idea to just pile their loose rubbish on top of the pile of bags and just let it blow around. And of course they put all their luggage right in the rubbish pile. One of the weirdest groups we've ever had. 

I was waiting for a bus to work one morning and two young 'ladies' in their car stopped in ht traffic right in fornt of us.

Passenger proceeds to toss her ciggy butt out the open window into the gutter...

I was in a bit of a mood that morning and went over, picked up the butt and tossed it back into her lap.  Also informed her I'd just saved her $200 ... and she looked at me blankly...

Told her that's the fine for littering in Sydney CBD.

Of course when the lights change and they drove off, she looked straight at me as she threw the butt back out the window.

Lotsa ppl are just grubs.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Burger said:

I was waiting for a bus to work one morning and two young 'ladies' in their car stopped in ht traffic right in fornt of us.

Passenger proceeds to toss her ciggy butt out the open window into the gutter...

I was in a bit of a mood that morning and went over, picked up the butt and tossed it back into her lap.  Also informed her I'd just saved her $200 ... and she looked at me blankly...

Told her that's the fine for littering in Sydney CBD.

Of course when the lights change and they drove off, she looked straight at me as she threw the butt back out the window.

Lotsa ppl are just grubs.

that epa fine wouldve made her day!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I enjoy fishing in clean surroundings. January used to piss me off down the South Coast. Most of the year I did my take three for the sea, carrying out at bit more when the tide bought a bit of extra plastic in but it usually took some effort to find it.   In January I had to stay home or go insane and end up in a fight. Bait bags by the score, dirty nappies left on the sand, empty cans, whole fish stuck in a plastic bag but left behind, tangles of line, etc. Once I hauled a full jerrycan of diesel quite a way along the sane then about 500m through then bush to my car, but that had obviously been washed off a trawled. 

Here's an example after a long weekend recovery straight out from the national park stairs (where the lazy people fish). From memory, the blue bag contained another small salmon.

BeachMess.thumb.JPG.b2242a6e37b53971d19a1f2525ced2b6.JPG  .

The end of another long weekend produced this lot. It was spread all over the place but they left a bucket for my convenience.

Morerubbish.thumb.JPG.fa37d04f94e9e7f3a5e633d7a5a2b7ed.JPG

The smell wasn't too bad so the bait was left for the gulls to clean up. The sand without the plastic about is an amazing environment to fish.

IMG_0057_stitch.thumb.jpg.de5046fcbbe5d77b79de9cdf160cc792.jpg

• Like 1

I carry gloves, litter spike and a roll of garbage bags on every trip I do. I can’t enjoy a place that has litter everywhere so my routine is to clean it all up when I get there so I can enjoy the rest of my time. I sometimes wonder if my behaviour fuels the littering behaviour because they know someone else will clean it up. I go back regularly to the same spots and am always surprised I have to clean them again and again.

• Like 1