Unprecedented Success on the Halco Twisty

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted due to the combination of me starting school and not catching much at all. Anyways, after being sick with covid for a week we decided to go out for some fresh air at Terrigal Beach and I packed my bare rod and reel just in case ( rod was an Arrowz estuary 6-14lb and my brand new nasci 4000 I has picked up for a shorejigging setup and switched out as @DerekD recommended) and a single 30g halco twisty. My only plan was to walk around the beach making casts but my plan changed as soon as I got there as I started walking up to the rock pools where there were already a couple of other fisherman(mostly my age) which I quickly aquatinted with and fished together, Less than 10 minutes go by and two older(4-5 years) blokes ( that looked way more experienced but still pretty friendly) hookup on the first bonito of the session, now this was my first time catching bonito so I was still in the dark about the rodeo of a fight they put up and the exaggerated screams of his bream setup didn’t help much. Now at this point of the day I still didn’t expect a fish as my earlier months of unsuccessful ventures didn’t exactly help with my confidence but I still pushed on. The older bloke hooks up again and as I feel my halco twisty slowly sink I suddenly hook up and the Bonnie fights like crazy and i expected a bigger fish than the 35cm ish but I was freaking happy due to my dry streak finally being broken. The rest of the day goes about wonderfully my new mates and I all get on catching some bonnies (mostly the older blokes giving their Bonnies to the other guys as they didn’t eat Bonnies) I catch two more Bonnies until I leave for home,  two were caught when the halco was sinking and I could feel them repeatedly tapping at it and one surprise catch near the rock pool ledge where the biggest one of the day followed it up and absolutely smashed it. Bled and gutted the Bonnies and gave them to a friend of my dads as we were parking at his house a lot so I could get dropped off for school. (Couldn’t include vid due to file size :( ) 

Until Next Time,

Albert

Myfirstbonniesonhalcotwisty!.thumb.jpg.8334f2d1546ec0e84eb9fd87d41ba04a.jpgCleanedbonniesTerriagalbeach.thumb.jpg.9fcd757d004941af2fdb80b3b748ba4c.jpg7273AC70-F89A-4480-99CA-896D35449F2B.thumb.jpeg.8569520b62a5568e358c20cd0c351724.jpeg24926685-F233-4D66-9D3D-C57D051DCD09.thumb.jpeg.09ae5c1c87472f6112500f0f2a384b2a.jpeg

• Like 29

Glad you’re over Covid- I’m still coughing from a recent bout. Nice work on the bonnies. They really put on a good account of themselves - and they’re good tucker if treated right. 

Easiest way to put up videos is to upload the vid to YouTube and paste the link into FishRaider. 

Tight lines. 

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

Well done!

Bonito, bled and put on ice when caught, are great eating.  They are good pan fried or BBQ'd, and are excellent in sushi rolls.

They fight hard, don't have scales (so easy to clean), and are good eating.  One of my fave fishes.

• Like 1