Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning. Tried for squid around Bass and Flinders - none there, and snagged the jig.

Headed up to Maianbar flats to pump some nippers, no whiting there, so headed to Lilli Pilli flats. It was around the middle of the run-up, a big tide so the sand was swirling around, but the whiting were on the bite. Drifted for the ones in the photo, the hook pulled on a few and released some small ones.

Once the current slowed, the water cleared up, the fish stopped biting, so I headed top another spot. Pulled out a smallish blackfish, a just legal flounder and a trevally about 35cm, all released.

I hooked up a little reddie, on the retrieve there was a big hit, headshakes then the line started running. Felt like a good flattie, but did not stay hooked. I pulled in the little reddie, missing many scales, not looking too healthy and the point of the hook was inside it's head so no hookup on the flattie.

No surface fish splashing about near me this morning, though spoke to my mate by phone later, and he could see tailor splashing around North West Arm.

A big dredge is working out from Gunnamatta Bay, sucking up the sand then motoring out to North Cronulla Beach to dump it. Hope it stays a while and moves further up river.

fish.jpeg.390_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 16

Nice bag of yummy whiting, the squid are over on the inside of jibbon. Was a nice morning no wind, flat and a good sunrise. I went out Saturday morning and couldn’t escape the sweep. From lilli pilli, mouth of yowie and into norwest arm. 

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning. Tried for squid around Bass and Flinders - none there, and snagged the jig.

Headed up to Maianbar flats to pump some nippers, no whiting there, so headed to Lilli Pilli flats. It was around the middle of the run-up, a big tide so the sand was swirling around, but the whiting were on the bite. Drifted for the ones in the photo, the hook pulled on a few and released some small ones.

Once the current slowed, the water cleared up, the fish stopped biting, so I headed top another spot. Pulled out a smallish blackfish, a just legal flounder and a trevally about 35cm, all released.

I hooked up a little reddie, on the retrieve there was a bit hit, headshakes then the line started running. Felt like a good flattie, but did not stay hooked. I pulled in the little reddie, missing many scales, not looking too healthy and the point of the hook was inside it's head so no hookup on the flattie.

No surface fish splashing about near me this morning, though spoke to my mate by phone later, and he could see tailor splashing around North West Arm.

A big dredge is working out from Gunnamatta Bay, sucking up the sand then motoring out to North Cronulla Beach to dump it. Hope it stays a while and moves further up river.

fish.jpeg.390_files_files_files.jpg

I walked over to the pool this morning and said to myself I really need to catch Yowies fish.I went to the north side,looked in the water and said…I need to get the boat out.Went back to the south side and said….bloody Yowie.

Then I said Bugger it and did this all day.

You can have the heat and fishing until it cools down.

I don’t know how people do it in this stinking heat.

Good stuff as always mate.Enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice Work again Dave ! ... crispy skin fried whiting YUM !

Cheers Zoran

Thank you Zoran, enough for a couple of feeds.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

Nice bag of yummy whiting, the squid are over on the inside of jibbon. Was a nice morning no wind, flat and a good sunrise. I went out Saturday morning and couldn’t escape the sweep. From lilli pilli, mouth of yowie and into norwest arm. 

Thank you. I was thinking of having a quick drift near the point, but after losing the jig, it was getting a bit light, so gave that idea a miss and headed to Maianbar.

49 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I walked over to the pool this morning and said to myself I really need to catch Yowies fish.I went to the north side,looked in the water and said…I need to get the boat out.Went back to the south side and said….bloody Yowie.

Then I said Bugger it and did this all day.

FullSizeRender.MOV 79.48 MB · 0 downloads  

You can have the heat and fishing until it cools down.

I don’t know how people do it in this stinking heat.

Good stuff as always mate.Enjoy.

Thank you Fab. It was getting a bit warm after a while.

As I have said before, add some fish to the pool, tie a line around your toe, add a hook and bait and float around waiting for a bite. 😂

39 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Yowie, nice feed of whiting. They seem to be on the chew as of late.

Well done.

Thank you. There are a few about, you need to give them a go.

19 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Great catch of Whiting.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Can’t go wrong with whiting fillets.

Shame about the lure - good excuse to head to the tackle shop though.

Other side they were in very close to the shore last week.

Thank you.

I bought some squid jigs from the 3 letter store just recently, 8 for $29 in a special box. Advertised as a discount from $120 - at that price I would expect them to be gold plated 🤣. I was tossing a coin as to whether to head to over the other side, but when I snagged up, I said *#@* the squid and headed back up river.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you.

I bought some squid jigs from the 3 letter store just recently, 8 for $29 in a special box. Advertised as a discount from $120 - at that price I would expect them to be gold plated 🤣. I was tossing a coin as to whether to head to over the other side, but when I snagged up, I said *#@* the squid and headed back up river.

8 for 29 is a bargain. Yamishitas can be about 10-12 per jig and most other jigs sit around 5ish. Shimano jigs can be a rip off unless you find them on clearance. Hate loosing those to bloody tailor. The 3 letter store charges a good premium on jigs anyway. If you want to prevent snagging just put a dropper sinker with a jig 30-40cm above it and if you feel ballsy anther one above that and just tea bag it while drifting 

Edited by Restyle
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice bag Dave! I was on the rocks near Bass and Filnders yesterday morning and got a few small squid before work about 6am. Were you near the marker?

Thanks Rob. 

I was near the marker, throwing close to shore but nothing.