Botany bay Kingfish session.

Restyle

Gday raiders, took the kayak out to botany bay to try for some kingfish action on Tuesday morning. But this trip actually started back on Sunday night when i decided i'd go out and catch 5 or so yakkas just in case there was no yakkas to be caught alongside point molineaux, so i made my way down to yowie bay boat ramp and caught a couple yellowtail easily before a school of about 100 squid turned up so i threw the one and only squid jig i brought with me and caught 20 squid in about 10 minutes. the squid promptly moved on so i threw my yellowtail hook back on and caught another 4 yellowtail before more squid turned up only to loose my jig to a bloody tailor instantly so i packed up and went home very happy.

Tuesday morning came around quickly and with a 4am wake up i head out to pick up the yellowtail which are still haply swimming around the bucket and make my way to yarra bay. unloaded all the equipment and i was on the water by 5am & started cruising over to point molineaux. Once i arrived it was just started to go first light and with a few anchor issues and a few anchor resets i was settled in. Almost instant large schools of yakkas turned up so i caught quite a few more "just in case". The conditions on the water was absolute glass, zero wind and a beautiful sunrise! 

image.thumb.jpeg.24122f7cd89a12c7b2f7a1e85184be21.jpeg

It wasn't until about 6am the first boat rocked up which was fishing Sydney charter boat (scotty lyons old business) so i immediately knew was in the right spot. I wasn't to pleased when he dropped anchor (or left his electric motor on spot lock) about 20 odd meters from be but oh well.

It didn't take long for large schools of bait fish were being attacked by small salmon which were being picked out by the charter boat, i didn't have any interest in them and also didn't bring a metal lure. but there was heaps of bait below me and some good marks beneath them which no doubt were kings!, So i threw my livie down which didn't interest them and nether did salted pilchard or slimies so i cut up some of the squid i caught a couple nights earlier and almost straight away it was king, after king. Everyone was onto kingfish, although most where in the 60's there were a few barely legals. There was a boat containing 3 morons on it keeping 40-50cm kings. got a video of them doing it too.  

My livie goes off after about an hour of swimming around & i miss the hookup so i drop a new yellowtail down and he is eaten immediately on a 66cm king. a few more yellowtail go missing which i'm not too sure about how they got off. 

By 9am the king fish have moved on and I've run out of squid and most boats are starting to pack up. I drop down some salted baits for a few small reds and stupid sweep so i decide to try for some squid at the base of point molineaux only to get snagged and loose my squid jig so i pack up and head in by 11am. 

My total for the day was 9 kingfish, lost 3 larger models. the kings were in the 60-67cm range. These fish are also my first kingfish in botany bay ever as well as i usually catch them out of port hacking but I've been having it tough there lately so i gave up and went botany bay instead. 

image.png.c7bf8f184208c65f16211b7fc0ba76fc.png

image.png.7d4131bdc1b0b0382fe6985715d16fcc.png

image.png.ad44275166e56a2677b28a9b6cd25e85.png

image.png.7b878fcdcf466c9ef35ab0be4849c4d3.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9500f14daff2d60e6f0656f39d87de68.jpeg

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 19

20 minutes ago, Mattie K said:

Hi, new to this board. Can I ask what gear you used to land the kingies? Am looking at getting a 8000 reel, 10-15 kg rod, and 60-80 lb line to target them. Am I on the right track?

stradic 5000, shimano terez 10-20lb (TEREZ S70M) 20lb braid 20lb leader

Saragossa 6000, shimano terez 30-50lb (TEREZ S76H) 30lb braid 50lb leader 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Nice work @Restyle, a great day on the Kingies - no doubt about their preference (most of the time) for squid.

Yeah was great to have some fun on rats again. Hoping to get out again tuesday! hopefully gods good and the fish are around still & the weather holds 

14 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good job, nice to see the squid around. Have to get down now.

yeah its ether no squid or 15 squid. have you been down lately?

17 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great post Restyle

Always rewards for the live bait and good one you for landing some keepers....bad luck about the lost brutes!

cheers mate! all went back but its great to hear the reel sing their song

6 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

What a session. Always good to try something new when your tried and true options don’t deliver.

my dads always said the bay is cursed with us, never landing or finding decent fish so id say the curse is broken, for now.

12 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good work there young fella. Plenty of entertainment with the kingies.

Assuming those squid were arrows.

yeah good sized ones too, with the biggest being high 20's, low 30's hoods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mattie K said:

Thanks heaps Restyle. I am looking at the Saragossa seriously. 

if you dont want to pay so much for rods, the aquatip range is good at 90$ paired with a sedona reel which are about 150$ RRP. You cannoy go wrong with a stradic though 

• Like 1

I envy your ability to get out in a kayak and competently land Kingfish. Having all the knowledge to collect bait and seek out the target fish is also a necessary part of the equation.

Great video which captures the buzz felt when the plan comes together... well done. I hope you are able to dob those clowns in for taking undersized fish. Too many of those idiots around in all types of fishing.

Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1