Kingy Action

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

took another mate that JetSki fishes out for a fish today - just out of Port Hacking.

We loaded up on yakkas and headed out to try for some snapper first - I would have liked to have given it a real go, but my mate was itching for kingfish - left the snapper grounds and took him over to get some kings. We got to the spot & dropped the livies down - straight away we were onto the fish!

He’s never live baited before, but was having a ball hooking up to king after king - fish between 60-65cm. Ended up hooking a nice 72cm king, then hooked up to something big that snapped his line.

I managed a 78cm and 65cm fish for the table, and a handful of fish between 60-65cm 

Ran into Squid Dave out on the water and had a chat.

Kingies went off the bite, so headed over to get some flatties. Plenty about - took a few fish for a meal or two. Sizes from 40-45cm at 50m depth.

had a quick go for squid but none about.

D886B54C-5D6F-48DD-BAC4-5B64412E36F5.thumb.jpeg.d04b4cf769192b52652e3e6ac28e08d4.jpeg

99DABE4D-8A63-4169-B995-FFA3EAD6A9DB.thumb.jpeg.3a53666f0143f2d5d732fab23ebc58c6.jpeg

7F575150-A0A0-4062-81D9-677E30278352.thumb.jpeg.f6be9c9c714ef1d7874d588f90dc13d3.jpeg

Flatty fillets ready for dinner tomorrow

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, Restyle said:

good action yet again, are you sure they arnt the same pictures from last time hahahah

Haha, It’s like dejavu! 
I’ve taken two different mates out there and the fish have been on for the last 3 weeks. All fish have been 60cm and up - with some good fish between the 70-90cm being caught.

Edited by Larkin
  • Haha 1

I gotta admire you city slickers for your collective knowledge of target species. The ocean is a big place yet you have the experience (and no doubt the technology) to nip out and get a result each time you hit the water. You have my respect! Nice to see some genuine jetski operators who are not lunatics, hell-bent on creating havoc for other water users.

Thanks for your report Larkin.

bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

I gotta admire you city slickers for your collective knowledge of target species. The ocean is a big place yet you have the experience (and no doubt the technology) to nip out and get a result each time you hit the water. You have my respect! Nice to see some genuine jetski operators who are not lunatics, hell-bent on creating havoc for other water users.

Thanks for your report Larkin.

bn

Thanks Neil, 

We’re always learning! And having fun along the way.

Plenty of hooning going around on the weekends though (why I prefer to fish on the weekdays). Mostly young people having fun, don’t think they realise the dangers, just like on the roads.

32 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done again. You’ve got the Hacking fully sussed. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran!

Love the hacking! Had a good run these last couple of years learning the system and how it fishes.

40 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Another nice bag of fish, worth heading out.

Thanks yowie! a few schools of kings on the bait out there at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

Killing them Chris, an excellent result. Not much point keeping any more than 2 legal kings for a feed - don’t freeze that well (and got an excuse to get out again) - we’re you close into the headland or offshore, I’ve been getting most of my Kingies snide lately, but “smoked” the other day off Nth Head.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul again.

Great photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - been having a good old time.

5 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Larkin, smashing the kings as of late.

Thanks Isaac, been waiting for them this season. Arms getting a workout out there!

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Very tasty looking fillets.

thanks Bessel - they came up really good, Made dinner for the family tonight, beer battered flatty - chips - salad and my home made tartare - plates emptied!

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Killing them Chris, an excellent result. Not much point keeping any more than 2 legal kings for a feed - don’t freeze that well (and got an excuse to get out again) - we’re you close into the headland or offshore, I’ve been getting most of my Kingies snide lately, but “smoked” the other day off Nth Head.

Agree, two’s plenty. Enough for my family, my parents and been handing out fresh filleted portions to my work mates too. One hadn’t tried kingfish before - only liked eating salmon. Quickly converted! 
I’ve been getting these just outside Port Hacking - not offshore. Dropping livies under schools of baitfish.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

You are firing Chris, you cracked the snapper code over winter and now you have to kings under control! Congrats, great bag of fish and that bigger king looks like it is very solid!

Thanks Rob, that was the plan. It’s been really fun learning how to target all these fish species.

It was a really fat / heavy fish for its length - stomach was stuffed full of baitfish.