Great trip to Tasmania chasing brown trout in rivers

Just back from my first trout fishing trip to Tasmania - didn't disappoint :thumbup:

I spent five days fly fishing some of the smaller rivers in the North West. I'm not an experienced trout fly fisherman, so I hired a guide for the first day of my trip to show me the ropes. It cost a few $s but was worth it because I was able to use the knowledge I learned on my first day for the rest of the trip.

The streams we fished were full of brown trout - they weren't monsters, only in the 1 - 2 pound range, but a lot of fun on light gear. They were feeding on hatches of show flake caddis and taking our dry flies off the surface. I had never realised how visual trout fishing could be - seeing the surface takes was amazing!

I put together this video of highlights from my trip to give you an idea of the trout fishing on offer in Tassie...

• Like 14

I loved the video and report. I also enjoy the North West especially the Mersey.

You certainly had some good  caddis hatches. I agree it it worth getting a guide. You learn so much even if its what rivers are fishing better and what flies.

Great to see another Trout fly fisher and dry fly as well.

This has been a great season  in the Snowies and the Blue Mountains.

We should touch base.

Much Appreiated,

Geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the video Fishing Fables. Real quality video with some fantastic camera work capturing the entire event from casting, to hook up, to landing, to underwater release footage. Loved it, thanks for the post. bn

19 hours ago, jed38 said:

Well if that's not an ad for Trout Fishing Tasmania I'll be buggered.

Great video and a great time by the looks....👍

Thanks for watching - it was my first fly fishing trip to Tasmania and I hadn't caught many trout on fly before that. The best thing I did was to hire a guide for the first day - he taught me so much about how to fish the rivers and I was able to use that knowledge for the rest of the trip. 

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Many thanks for the video Fishing Fables. Real quality video with some fantastic camera work capturing the entire event from casting, to hook up, to landing, to underwater release footage. Loved it, thanks for the post. bn

Thanks for watching and for the lovely feedback. Taking the video footage took a fair bit of effort but it all came together in the end. I enjoyed editing out all my bad casts, hook-ups in the trees behind me, unplanned swims and dropped fish. Amazing how good you can look!

1 hour ago, FishingFables said:

Thanks for watching and for the lovely feedback. Taking the video footage took a fair bit of effort but it all came together in the end. I enjoyed editing out all my bad casts, hook-ups in the trees behind me, unplanned swims and dropped fish. Amazing how good you can look!

Provided you're not an old fart who can't use the technology. Your product is very professional. bn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...