Tropical ailments

noelm

Just recently got back from Vanuatu, the day before cyclone Judy (Ironically my wife's name....) and while we were away I got a kind of "thing" on my ear, my wife said it looks like a bad skin cancer, I kind of said something like "it wasn't there before" anyway, she had me with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin! As soon as we got home (the "thing" had got bigger) I saw my doctor, he poked at it, looked at it with a special light and declared it to be a Tropical Ulcer, said I probably scratched the skin without even knowing, then went swimming and hey presto......told me they just continue to grow and eat a hole, eeeyeeww, anyway, he froze it to death and said it should be fine, but check in next week because we go away again on the 19th! So everyone out there, if you get even a tiny wound that starts to go weird, see your doctor ASAP! Especially cuts and scrapes that happen around the water.

• Sad 4

No antibiotics (I thought about that myself) yes, overseas, going more or less the same place. I might ask the doctor about antibiotics, it sure is/was nasty, no idea at all when or how I scratched or hit my ear, but it was nothing, then a couple of days it was "weird" and on our way home it seemed to get much worse.

Edited by noelm

I think a fear of this happening to me( 100%guaranteed )  is why I have little interest in going overseas ! There is a fly in Africa ( bot fly possibly) that lays eggs on your washing as it is drying on the line - the eggs lay dormant until the moisture of your sweat awakens them and the little maggot burrows in to your skin! The only way to ensure the eggs are dead is to iron everything - sheets , socks ,undies , the whole gamut!  I am never going there !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noelm said:

Just recently got back from Vanuatu, the day before cyclone Judy (Ironically my wife's name....) and while we were away I got a kind of "thing" on my ear, my wife said it looks like a bad skin cancer, I kind of said something like "it wasn't there before" anyway, she had me with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin! As soon as we got home (the "thing" had got bigger) I saw my doctor, he poked at it, looked at it with a special light and declared it to be a Tropical Ulcer, said I probably scratched the skin without even knowing, then went swimming and hey presto......told me they just continue to grow and eat a hole, eeeyeeww, anyway, he froze it to death and said it should be fine, but check in next week because we go away again on the 19th! So everyone out there, if you get even a tiny wound that starts to go weird, see your doctor ASAP! Especially cuts and scrapes that happen around the water.

Should have gone on a cruise mate.No diseases on them🙄.Just leave me here in good old Australia thanks.Hope you get better mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

No antibiotics (I thought about that myself) yes, overseas, going more or less the same place. I might ask the doctor about antibiotics, it sure is/was nasty, no idea at all when or how I scratched or hit my ear, but it was nothing, then a couple of days it was "weird" and on our way home it seemed to get much worse.

Def ask the GP. Is it painful, tender, sore or redness? Are you travelling overseas on 19th? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Def ask the GP. Is it painful, tender, sore or redness? Are you travelling overseas on 19th? 

I have an appointment next week, I will ask him about antibiotics, I was sort of surprised when he froze it off, rather than cutting it. At the moment it is fine, no funny swelling and has a dry "scab" going cruising back to New Caledonia and one Island in Vanuatu on the 19th, the last trip was kind of unexpected, it was so cheap we just had to go, the 19th has been booked for months. Got some simple odds and ends to donate to the kids when we get there, been many times before and usually take simple school type stuff, there is a "process" in place for doing it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Should have gone on a cruise mate.No diseases on them🙄.Just leave me here in good old Australia thanks.Hope you get better mate.

Going on a cruise, no Covid cases "noted" whether there was and not reported, who knows? Some of the places are great to visit, some are just grubby industrial ports (Noumea) and you need to book a tour to take you out of the port. Cruising is not for everyone, some hate it, most love it once experienced. Mystery Island and Isle of Pines are spectacular places (and I caught a Bonefish from the beach) huge, still alive Lobsters are cooked in front of you, served with a platter of fresh fruit for about $30. As I said, it's not for everyone, we are taking our grandson this trip.

• Like 2

The photo with the tiny canoe looking thing on the reef, is a local diving for Lobsters to sell, he got about 15 that day, ready to cook on the beach, there is about a dozen locals do it, all share a big pot over a fire, or a BBQ plate to cook them, cut in half with butter. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

The photo with the tiny canoe looking thing on the reef, is a local diving for Lobsters to sell, he got about 15 that day, ready to cook on the beach, there is about a dozen locals do it, all share a big pot over a fire, or a BBQ plate to cook them, cut in half with butter. 

Yeah we are those people it’s not for.Our idea of bliss is no one in the vicinity of 1000km in all directions.Last place you’ll ever see us is on a ship or plane.😂😂😂I’ll just look at all those places on my phone and be content thanks.Nice photos mate .Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't get me wrong, I love remote places, been to hundreds of near deserted places here in Aus over the years, cruising is for us a "get away" you're forced to have a holiday, I don't take a phone, no watch, never look at the news, I don't want to know about anything "outside", eat when I want, drink when I want, see a show (or not) its all there, and it's so cheap, but, as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea, before I did my first cruise, I likened it to being in a club for weeks! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noelm said:

I have an appointment next week, I will ask him about antibiotics, I was sort of surprised when he froze it off, rather than cutting it. At the moment it is fine, no funny swelling and has a dry "scab" going cruising back to New Caledonia and one Island in Vanuatu on the 19th, the last trip was kind of unexpected, it was so cheap we just had to go, the 19th has been booked for months. Got some simple odds and ends to donate to the kids when we get there, been many times before and usually take simple school type stuff, there is a "process" in place for doing it.

Geez you love a cruise! Maybe make sure it is in your insurance cover in case it flares up? 
Good luck and don’t forget to put your tips in 😃

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice! Yep, all covered, we usually do a cruise a year, but the last one was 11 days for $250, ocean view cabin, plus $150 on board spending money! It's pretty hard to do anything for 2 people for that sort of money, let alone for 11 days......everything included except alcohol (of course). My wife sometimes does short 3 or 4 day ones for her "girls trips" if she finds a good deal, way cheaper than a weekend in Sydney, and no one has to drive, catch taxis or worry about eating out. But as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea, there's a lot to consider for first time cruisers.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just kind of wrapping this up, my ear is fine, all cleared up, freezing it seemed to work, though I do have a light spot on my ear, I guess my modeling days are over now I have a scar...........joking of course!

• Like 4

On 3/9/2023 at 5:40 AM, noelm said:

Thanks for your advice! Yep, all covered, we usually do a cruise a year, but the last one was 11 days for $250, ocean view cabin, plus $150 on board spending money! It's pretty hard to do anything for 2 people for that sort of money, let alone for 11 days......everything included except alcohol (of course). My wife sometimes does short 3 or 4 day ones for her "girls trips" if she finds a good deal, way cheaper than a weekend in Sydney, and no one has to drive, catch taxis or worry about eating out. But as I said, it's not everyone's cup of tea, there's a lot to consider for first time cruisers.

Did you miss a zero off the $250 Noel? We had been on several cruises and loved them. Would have loved them even more for that price.

bn

33 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Did you miss a zero off the $250 Noel? We had been on several cruises and loved them. Would have loved them even more for that price.

bn

No...it was a "one off" deal, you get a window cabin, but can't select it, you get assigned the cabin 14 days prior to departure! Going again on exactly the same deal in June. It is randomly selected from previous cruise passengers, my wife went to Tasmania in January with a friend for $250. We are going to New Guinea in November, Balcony cabin at "normal price" for $1,900 each. It is so cheap for what you get, especially the special offer deals, we have had Morten Island cruises for $100. Ocean view cabin (window cabin) you would be flat out getting a night out, with a 3 course meal for $100, let alone 4 days. For us is extra easy, because my wife is "Diamond" we get priority boarding, free washing, priority tender time and a few other "treats" most we don't bother because it's easy to board and get off again, and waiting for a tender is about 10-20mins, waiting in a lounge, so who cares about priority?

Yeah I guess, once you get the hang of different cruise lines, and select one that suits, when things are crowded and when they're not, what Ports have good excursions and which ones to stay on the ship, simple stuff like that makes it so easy, taking the little 6 year twin old grandkids soon.

• Like 1