Back to Back Port Hacking Reports

Over the last 2 fishing sessions me and the old man have been chasing bonito from Port Hacking.

The first trip was not successful on the bonito front however we found some success on the squid just in front of Cronulla, after trolling the headlands a few passes we headed into the river to chase bust ups. It was quiet at first and on the bay back to the ramp I spotted birds working right at the back of a small bay, we raced in and saw the most insane surface action i’ve ever witnessed, There were hundreds of large tailor, salmon, trevally, and kingfish working up white bait in 70cm of water smashing them right up at people’s backyards. Flicking some small metals resulted in some tasty fish captures. 

Second trip started off the same with some squid being caught of Cronulla, so we chucked the lures in and trolled around Jibbon and picked up some smaller bonito. The seas were not too pleasant so trolling did get a bit lumpy, we spotlocked on a shallow reef and feed down strips of bonito on light sinkers. It results in multiple double hookups on rat kingfish as well as large bonito and the amberjack which gave a good account of itself. 

A pretty successful few trips going back to basics after multiple donut days chasing marlin. 

E7EDAE50-E0E4-42BA-8210-CA4E92A71F44.thumb.jpeg.cbf5b9faf8fe3028248f82467b0cfb49.jpegD15A0B22-1CC0-44E9-B3DD-35B6C88667C6.thumb.jpeg.5283caa43368ec8818e45b01385f90f7.jpeg

• Like 21

2 hours ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

What is the fish under the 2 bonnies? It looks kind of like a small amberjack

Think the fish is a " Black banded Kingfish "  pretty common catch down to about Port stevens not so much seen around Sydney.

Might be worth submitting it to the best species list, don't think many would have been entered.

Could be wrong.

Frank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

What is the fish under the 2 bonnies? It looks kind of like a small amberjack

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Think the fish is a " Black banded Kingfish "  pretty common catch down to about Port stevens not so much seen around Sydney.

Might be worth submitting it to the best species list, don't think many would have been entered.

Could be wrong.

Frank

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

I can see what you mean @frankS but I believe the Black Banded have more of a shorter blunter snout and I can just see the Gold band running length ways which is not as prominent on the Black Banded.

But always happy to be corrected.

I believe you are correct @Blackfish it was a juvinile amberjack, when it first came to the boat it had its signature stripe across the eye and the golden stripe as you say. Its the second one I've caught from the Hacking, have also caught samsons on the edges of shallow reefs here too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobthelob2341 said:

I believe you are correct @Blackfish it was a juvinile amberjack, when it first came to the boat it had its signature stripe across the eye and the golden stripe as you say. Its the second one I've caught from the Hacking, have also caught samsons on the edges of shallow reefs here too. 

Ah yes, I thought so. Thanks 

Going back to basics is a treat at times for sure… I find it nice to occasionally return to “how it all started” … especially when you catch a feed as well. 
During most of last year I was boatless and … Maria and I returned to beach fishing after a 20+yr break catching our dinner and lunch and it felt so grounded and satisfying. 
Great report. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Going back to basics is a treat at times for sure… I find it nice to occasionally return to “how it all started” … especially when you catch a feed as well. 
During most of last year I was boatless and … Maria and I returned to beach fishing after a 20+yr break catching our dinner and lunch and it felt so grounded and satisfying. 
Great report. 
cheers Zoran 

100% is mate in the last 2 years all the fishing I’ve done has been offshore for kingfish and deep dropping, and I don’t remember the last time I went for a fish up the river. Certainly feels rewarding after spending many days bobbing around waiting for marlin.

44 minutes ago, HOOLIGAN2 said:

nice catch well done !!!!

Thanks mate!

On 3/18/2023 at 9:58 AM, jenno64 said:

Great report! That bust up must have been insane to watch🤡 Nice mix of species there and good to see an amberjack in amongst them, my son got one up in South West Arm last week and they go hard!

Yeah there’s been a few around recently, last month I got a samson fish off merries reef on a jig.

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

A very nice mixed bag - especially those big Kingie baits, a pity to eat the squid (but they do taste delicious). Great report.

I’d feel bad using big squid for bait just for it to be picked apart by rats, so I vacuumed sealed and froze the smaller ones ready for kingies.