Gymea bay baths - collapsed

Restyle

Heads up for the land based fishos, received message from a little birdie today that due to the amount of people (well over 100 apparently) fishing the wharf over the last week due to the app tik tok that the wharf has partially collapsed due to the amount of people fishing it. No idea If it’s true or not, but the wharf is now 1/3 the size of what it was which means it will get flat out busy on the weekends. So, i sussed it out today and yup it’s defently collapsed.

no idea If the council will close it to repair it or just leave it like they did to the wharf on lugarno avenue 6+ years ago in gunnamatta bay. 

62521DEA-035C-4ABF-B831-022853619C8B.jpeg

89CBD1AB-F3F3-4AC9-9F72-07A10A5C905D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Always wondered what happened to the wharf at Lugarno Ave it was a great spot for squid and even a few Mulloway off there at times, only accommodated a couple of fishers though. It was always interesting to see the variety of marine life in the shallows there under the bright light and a great spot to catch bait.

Thanks for reporting this. The council are already onto it.

Gymea Bay Baths Reserve

Due to storm damage and subsequent structural failure Gymea Bay Baths is partially closed until further notice. A marine engineer has been engaged for the design and scope of the rebuild prior to carrying out construction works. We apologise for the inconvenience.

https://www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/beaches-and-waterways/ocean-pools-and-tidal-baths/gymea-bay-baths-reserve 

• Like 1

Some years a go, a scuba diver was on the outside of the netting, doing an inspection, when he was aware that something was swimming behind him. He turned around and saw a large bull shark eyeing him off, so he quickly left the water and completed the inspection on the inside of the netting. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Some years a go, a scuba diver was on the outside of the netting, doing an inspection, when he was aware that something was swimming behind him. He turned around and saw a large bull shark eyeing him off, so he quickly left the water and completed the inspection on the inside of the netting. 🤣

Talk about a scare, if that happened to me I would never be swimming again.

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Talk about a scare, if that happened to me I would never be swimming again.

Plenty of sharks in the Hacking, and elsewhere, swimming under your boat while you are fishing. 

The people swimming near Audley Weir should be aware they are not alone. 🦈

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Always wondered what happened to the wharf at Lugarno Ave it was a great spot for squid and even a few Mulloway off there at times, only accommodated a couple of fishers though. It was always interesting to see the variety of marine life in the shallows there under the bright light and a great spot to catch bait.

Was a awesome spot! Only fished it a hand full of times though as a kid but was always a nice productive spot. 

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks for reporting this. The council are already onto it.

Gymea Bay Baths Reserve

Due to storm damage and subsequent structural failure Gymea Bay Baths is partially closed until further notice. A marine engineer has been engaged for the design and scope of the rebuild prior to carrying out construction works. We apologise for the inconvenience.

https://www.sutherlandshire.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/beaches-and-waterways/ocean-pools-and-tidal-baths/gymea-bay-baths-reserve 

Glad you found something, I gave it a search last night and found nothing. Would be interesting to see how many years it’ll take for it to be repaired 

30 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

I thought it may have been weather related.

could be, who knows. The wharf I thought was quite well built and seemed very sturdy. Area is quite protected from everything besides easterly. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, spraka said:

Planning on going there since the collapse, has there been progress on fixing the wharf?

@spraka I was there a year ago (after the collapse) and I recall that the collapsed area was fixed. However, I'm not 100% sure if it's okay at the moment right now. However, if you avoid that particular collapsed area, you should be mostly safe. Proceed at your own caution.

Tight lines.