Flatty drift out of Port Hacking

Larkin

Headed out of port hacking this morning.

Large schools of yellowtails on the reefs - water shimmering with huge numbers of fish breaking the surface all morning, pushed up by some predators. These Yellowtail’s won’t take bait.

caught 2 kings - between 60-63cm

For anyone interested - salmon haul bay is full of small yellowtail at the moment. Schools of fish around 10-12cm. Easy to catch for live baits.

Flathead are back - good size fish 40-50cm. I was the only one out there on the drift today. Fish sorted for Easter! Picked up a squid on the way back too.

969A127C-0420-4901-853E-261DA3D9A609.thumb.jpeg.53de67d53c3f8ee28c259c58d7ee56ad.jpeg

• Like 19

47 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Headed out of port hacking this morning.

Large schools of yellowtails on the reefs - water shimmering with huge numbers of fish breaking the surface all morning, pushed up by some predators. These Yellowtail’s won’t take bait.

caught 2 kings - between 60-63cm

For anyone interested - salmon haul bay is full of small yellowtail at the moment. Schools of fish around 10-12cm. Easy to catch for live baits.

Flathead are back - good size fish 40-50cm. I was the only one out there on the drift today. Fish sorted for Easter! Picked up a squid on the way back too.

969A127C-0420-4901-853E-261DA3D9A609.thumb.jpeg.53de67d53c3f8ee28c259c58d7ee56ad.jpeg

Nice bag of flatties, and a good size for the plate. Will keep you going.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of flatties, and a good size for the plate. Will keep you going.

Thanks Yowie, had to restock as these are my family’s favourite to eat.

were good size this time - drift was flat and perfect speed. Congregated over one spot that I kept working - an hour and a half and esky was full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant result Chris - really cracked the code today. Seems Flatties have really responded to the “big wet”.

Thanks Bob, No going to the Fish Market with the crowds for me!

Got roughly 3kg of fillets for an Easter feast with the family.

Last week only got a single, this week they were on and good eating size.

happy easter mate!

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Larkin, nice bag of flatties. Squid still around!

Well done

Thanks Isaac!

With large numbers of very small yellowtails schooling over the weedy areas, imo get ready for an influx of squid over the coming week or two.

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great Easter feed coming up, well done!

Thanks Bessel -  beer battered, just the way I like it!

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - will get a couple of really good feeds out of it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Cracking bag Chris and good to see them dispatched into ice…..they look ready for the fish markets 🤪

enjoy the Easter fillets!

Thanks Rob!
was Perfect timing for Good Friday. Came up a treat!

039B7AC1-BF67-4F77-B602-56F334A8B8E4.thumb.jpeg.8f7f8884c1dadc5e9792feeb99e4a633.jpeg

1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

Good haul of Flatties, my favorite fish. Well done 🙂

Thanks Gordo, my family’s favourite too. It’s the only fish they specifically ask me to bring home when I go out.

39 minutes ago, Welster said:

Thats a great easter feed well done.   Thanks for sharing your experiences of what is happening and working out on the water. 

thanks Welster!

I try to report what’s going on out there - as you know it can change week on week. Surprised no one on the drift out there on Thursday - conditions were perfect all morning and plenty of fish.
A few boats were fishing the reefs though.

• Like 4

CRUELTY TO OLD PEOPLE. I had to settle for Lasagne for Good Friday dinner and you have the hide to post Fish, chips, and salad. What a cheek Larkin. Shouldn't be allowed.

Seriously... a great report, good-sized Flatties, and a well-deserved reward for your efforts.

Well done, bn

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

CRUELTY TO OLD PEOPLE. I had to settle for Lasagne for Good Friday dinner and you have the hide to post Fish, chips, and salad. What a cheek Larkin. Shouldn't be allowed.

Seriously... a great report, good-sized Flatties, and a well-deserved reward for your efforts.

Well done, bn

haha, Thanks Neil!

the kids don’t like the “fishy” fish, but the humble flathead doesn’t disappoint.

… never underestimate a good lasagne! 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Nice bag Larkin was out the weekend before and could only manage a few $65 a kilo at the local fish market so you did well.

Hi Scooter - I tried the week before too and only managed one, small nibbles only. This time they were on the bite - and decent size.

• Like 1