Softplastic help

faker

Not sure if I am using soft plastic properly. Using a 2.5 grubz with 1/8 oz jighead in deep wharf but not feeling any bites. So when I cast out the line . I let it hit bottom and then lift rod and wind back to my starting position and pause. But line appears to still be curved until it hits bottom where it curves out more. 

How do I recognise bite?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, faker said:

Not sure if I am using soft plastic properly. Using a 2.5 grubz with 1/8 oz jighead in deep wharf but not feeling any bites. So when I cast out the line . I let it hit bottom and then lift rod and wind back to my starting position and pause. But line appears to still be curved until it hits bottom where it curves out more. 

How do I recognise bite?

I'm no expert saltwater angler but I have had a lot of success with soft plastics. The following works for me. I am assuming you are using braid with a leader. Make sure the lure reaches the bottom. You may need to vary the weight of the jighead to suit the conditions ( strong current or strong wind). Ideally, you should fish as light as you can while achieving good presentation of the s/p. You watch the line settle on the water and see the result of it sinking when the line goes slack. Wind in the slack line and start your retrieve. There are many different retrieve methods and you should not be afraid to try a variety of them. A slow roll retrieve will keep the s/p close to the bottom (keep your rod tip down), while a few vertical twitches will allow the s/p to sharply dart upwards, before slowly sinking to the bottom (like a startled or injured bait fish). Keep the rod at about 45 degrees vertical for this retrieve. Often fish will hit the lure as it descends toward the bottom so it's important to keep the line fairly tight and ensure your rod tip is in contact with the s/p. Use the reel constantly to ensure that the line is reasonably tight to the s/p, you will feel the bite and can strike to set the hook.

It helps in all types of fishing to know what species you are likely to encounter in a particular environment. Flathead, Bream, Trevally, Kingfish, Tailor, and Salmon are likely to be encountered. Flathead hide in the muddy or sandy bottom and ambush their prey so a lure 3 or 4 m above them is unlikely to get hit. However, many of the other likely species are possibilities in the mid/ upper water column.

I think everyone who has mastered soft plastics fishing would tell you that it's a bit like learning to ride a bike. One day you can't do it, and suddenly, after continuous trying, you can. Like most angling techniques, soft plastics fishing takes practice and persistence. Once you start to have success you will wonder why it took so long. It is a VERY EFFECTIVE way to catch fish. So get out there and put the time in. Don't rush to retrieve the lure, give it plenty of time to sink to the bottom, and don't be in a hurry to get it back to you. Soft plastics fishing is a leisurely type of fishing, treat it that way and you will get results.

Look forward to reading how you go. Good luck. bn

• Like 6

Hi Faker,

What gear are you using. Rod (length, line and lure rating and material - graphite or fiberglass). What is the reel brand and size. What line are you using and what rating.

You mentioned fishing Mosman before - the bay there is one of my home fishing grounds if you are keen to get out for a quick flick and technique review.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Faker,

What gear are you using. Rod (length, line and lure rating and material - graphite or fiberglass). What is the reel brand and size. What line are you using and what rating.

You mentioned fishing Mosman before - the bay there is one of my home fishing grounds if you are keen to get out for a quick flick and technique review.

i am using this with a RZ combo <link removed >

10 lb braid and 10lb mono

2.5 zman grubz and 1/8 size 2 jighead

so here is my technique

1. i cast out let it sink a bit

2. close bail after around 5 sec and wind in slack(line is still curved even after winding)

3.lift rod once and wind back to the lowered position and wait till i see the sudden drop in line as it hits bottom

4. repeat 3 till i get close enough to wharf

Fishing in balmoral wharf mostly

Edited by Little_Flatty
No links to retailers please
  • Like 1

Ok. Graphite blank. I've not picked one up Looks like a nicely balanced outfit.

There are four different combos showing in this design.

At this stage I'm assuming you got the 2500 reel and 6 foot 6 inches 2 piece rod.

If you change line in future I'd consider dropping down to 4lb or PE 0.6 for added casting distance but that is a discussion for another time.

I'm a big fan of the 2inch or 2.5inch grub and 1/8th oz jighead as most species pick on them. I like using the Gamakatsu 211 ball head jig heads in size #1 or #2 hook as it matches up really well with the grubs.

You are doing some things really well like watching for the sag in the line but there are some ways we can change things up.

First thing is I want you to really use your imagination. Think about your lure as if it were an actual fish? How would it dart forward. How far would it dart forward? When mentoring people I talk about "little kid, little steps, bigger kid, bigger steps". Your little baitfish isn't going to dart forward 1m at a time. Try to mix in a few smaller hops. Use smaller flicks to get it kicking off the bottom. I like to use a double flick - first one to get the predators attention and the second to allow them to zero in on your lure. Start to get a feel for how long it takes to hit the bottom. The sag is a great indicator but it works most of the time and not all of the time. Try to stay in contact with the lure as much as possible. If a fish hits it out of interest then force the chase by using a small flick to move it away from the fish - they also have a fear of missing out.

If you can get to a swimming pool then spend a bit of time working out the effect of different rod tip movements (e.g. a flick as opposed to a lift). Alternatively, try it in the shallows at your feet.

Water depth at Balmoral wharf will be roughly in the 4-6m range depending on which direction you are fishing so that grub and jighead combination will work pretty well but will take a while to get down.

To be continued.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DerekD said:

der dropping down to 4lb or PE 0.6 for added casting distance but that is a discussion for another time.

I'm a big fan of the 2inch or 2.5inch grub

Thanks I will be testing it out at some of the new spots tomorrow probably near putney park which I know is a bream haunt. The only way to figure it out is to find some bream and see if technique works or not. Can't wait to catch first fish with it. probably Thursday and Saturday at Balmoral, I was there may be one of those weird bad days. But not a complete lost since i landed a bonito on the metals.

• Like 1

If it is bream you are chasing then don't be put off by unsuccessful trips. They are cautious and you really have to be on your game to catch them. My best ever session was 14 plus 1x trevally but I was fishing topwater in a lagoon where I knew there were lots. They were also turned on that day. Another friend of mine likes to fish the channels after rain when they go on the bite. If you start to catch snapper then you are doing the right thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

If it is bream you are chasing then don't be put off by unsuccessful trips. They are cautious and you really have to be on your game to catch them. My best ever session was 14 plus 1x trevally but I was fishing topwater in a lagoon where I knew there were lots. They were also turned on that day. Another friend of mine likes to fish the channels after rain when they go on the bite. If you start to catch snapper then you are doing the right thing.

Report for today was nothing in several locations. Will continue trying. Wind makes it hard to read line

16 hours ago, DerekD said:

yea i am well aware of that. my biggest frustration so far is not sure if technique is correct. because there are the following scenarios

1. bream are around but i am stuffing up

2. No bream around and i am stuffing up

3 there are no bream around and i am not stuffing up

2 out of 3 scenarios means i can't work out the issue. So I probably going to a bream infested parra wharf and try there test it out. Sounds like a plan. Once i get a couple of breambo there i can then start messing around in deeper water

It could just be that you are fishing where there are no fish , I would have expected at least a few flathead or flounder from balmoral . I would suggest you start with flathead as they are less finicky and this will let you hone your techniques. For bream there I would be fishing under the wharf and also casting from the shore and looking for things like weed beds , drop offs , nipper beds and stormwater drains - these are all areas where bream get their food and remember bream love structure so casting away from the wharf you may well be casting away from the fish - try teabagging the lure around the pylons . I would be fishing low light conditions , either dawn or dusk or overcast days and a little bit of wind ripple is your best friend - glassed out conditions are usually fish less days . Your retrieve may be a little fast , try hopping the lure with a single rod lift then let the lure settle on the bottom for a few seconds and reapeat. The z man is buoyant and should be sitting on the bottom with the tail floating up looking like a prawn with its tail sticking up out of the sand .

• Like 7

It's hard to stay positive when results aren't happening, but it's a journey learning any new technique. The more time you put in trying the suggestions which have been provided in answer to your query, the sooner it will fall into place. Confidence plays a big role in success, presently yours is low. Most of the anglers here, who are passing on their tips, would have been in the same position that you are... wondering if they were doing it right. They have all worked through it and emerged as capable soft plastics anglers. You will too!

Good luck, bn

• Like 5

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

It's hard to stay positive when results aren't happening, but it's a journey learning any new technique. The more time you put in trying the suggestions which have been provided in answer to your query, the sooner it will fall into place. Confidence plays a big role in success, presently yours is low. Most of the anglers here, who are passing on their tips, would have been in the same position that you are... wondering if they were doing it right. They have all worked through it and emerged as capable soft plastics anglers. You will too!

Good luck, bn

Thanks I will be trying out kissing point wharf, i see its a bream haunt so might as well give it a try

• Like 1

To be fair balmoral has been a quiet for 2 out of the 3 days there. No one catching any decent-size bream that would take a grub due to Kingy presence scaring even the yakkas away. Next stop for me is along parra wharves which are closer to home to do "training"

• Like 1

Here is a satellite image of kissing point wharf , the red circles along the shore is where I would start prospecting but it is shaggy ground and you may be better off using a weedless rig . The circle with the asteroid next to it is the wash zone from the rivercat that has just pulled out heading to parramatta - always worth getting a lure in there and when the rivercat is city bound the wash is on the other side of the wharf .There is a stormwater drain at the end of the beach - another area worth trying especially if there is some water coming out of the drain .

IMG_0065.thumb.jpeg.7411831549590849b14e8f8eda9f8af0.jpeg

• Like 6

Hmmm.... I assumed you were a Mosman local. I would not be chasing bream on plastics at Balmoral (yes @AlbertW managed one in his latest report) but there are plenty of better options. Don't bother with Clifton Gardens either.

If you are out that way then I think the inner west is a better option. Plenty of bays without a huge amount of ferry traffic. Consider the bay near the Five dock boat ramp.

For more ideas have a look at the videos put out on Youtube by Shroom.

• Like 2

Also those by Aaron at Windsor bait and tackle YouTube channel ( not a store anymore - closed down a few years back and he just kept the name for his channel ) 

Another couple are flick with mick and Goldenhour - those four ( including Shroom) should have you covered for most of the harbour , parra river all of the canals and a lot of the George’s river .

• Like 3

While we are throwing information at you... If you are going to be chasing bream then also consider topwater in the summer months. @Niall did an excellent article on this a few years ago which got me more seriously into it.

This was the video that got him started.

There was also a nice follow up article from Niall after a year of chasing bream.

• Like 1

Thanks @DerekD@XD351 I will try once i get chance to lurk around the meadowbank area for some casts. purtney park is also on my radar.

I will provide report once i catch first fish with it. It will mean I at least learnt basics of soft plastics and go try for some more ambitious fish on them

• Like 1

Hi @faker

Id also suggest you ditch the mono in favour of Fluro carbon leader (if its heavy structure 6-8lb), you will feel the lure more.

If you live closer to the parramatta river you have heaps of options, just remember bream like structure which may mean you'll get the occasional snag or two.

• Like 3