Finally…

AlbertW

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Albert W congrats and your excitement at the end was the best!"

AlbertW was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 200 points.

Morning Raiders,

This report was suppose to be up last Friday but I’ve had trouble posting the video up on YouTube.

I’ve been going out shorejigging for a couple sessions by now with no luck until Friday. When I had lost all my jigs the previous day and had to borrow one from my mate, and on the first cast as I jigged it back up I realised a small pinky had managed to somehow hook himself between the eyes, my first fish. After that promising catch nothing much happened after until 2pm right after some heavy rain that I managed to hook up on a fish I’ve been chasing for a year now after @DerekD was so kind enough to give me a couple lessons on lure fishing. I’ll let the video do the talking.

(First video!)

Afterwards around 20 mins after I managed to also land my first salmon which went 43cm but was largely overshadowed my the fish I just caught. 

Huge thanks to everyone on fishraider who helped me and have me positive feedback especially @DerekD who has taken time out of his weekends to take me out and show me how to work lures.

Thanks for reading,

Albert

• Like 17

Well done Albert! There’s some of us whom a king on a lure us eluded us even  after decades of fishing! Myself included!

You handled the fish brilliantly. They are nasty fighters indeed.

Something magic happens after cracking a first of a species. Subsequent targets of a certain species suddenly become easier to catch. It’s probably just a confidence thing. Important lesson for other aspects of our lives!

• Like 1

Hi @AlbertW,

Congratulations on the first king. Then next one should be a lot sooner. Your first legal king will also be a blast.

What do you mean a couple of lessons? Think we did a couple of lessons on shore based jigging alone. 😀

It has been a beautiful experience watching you grow in technique and confidence over the past year. You are one of the people that make mentoring worthwhile. You are passionate, engaged and are prepared to put the time in to try things. You have a maturity beyond your years and I think your parents can be proud of you.

I'm looking forward to more and more fishing reports and especially of the quality of this one with the video. I loved the excitement and joy in your voice.

Regards.

Derek

PS. I also really appreciate that I was one of the first people you contacted straight after achieving this milestone so I could share in the experience. Being at work at the time I was also a little envious. :mfr_lol:

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

Well done @AlbertW next one off the kayak 😉 

good to see you having success

Coincidentally that’s what I’ve been thinking, the mate that helped me land the kingy has met a couple of very skilled shorejiggers there one being larryoutdoors who has started recently to jig off his kayak so I might try to get acquainted with him haha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @AlbertW,

Congratulations on the first king. Then next one should be a lot sooner. Your first legal king will also be a blast.

What do you mean a couple of lessons? Think we did a couple of lessons on shore based jigging alone. 😀

It has been a beautiful experience watching you grow in technique and confidence over the past year. You are one of the people that make mentoring worthwhile. You are passionate, engaged and are prepared to put the time in to try things. You have a maturity beyond your years and I think your parents can be proud of you.

I'm looking forward to more and more fishing reports and especially of the quality of this one with the video. I loved the excitement and joy in your voice.

Regards.

Derek

PS. I also really appreciate that I was one of the first people you contacted straight after achieving this milestone so I could share in the experience. Being at work at the time I was also a little envious. :mfr_lol:

Cheers Derek, I wouldn’t be here without you, I’ll try and make full videos next time as I was a bit rushed for time and my laptop was broken so I had to edit on my phone  but anytime I get anything big or substantial you’ll be one of my priority contacts :mfr_lol:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work on the fish, the first kingie shows what they do, fight hard until the end.

They sure fight hard Yowie I thought I had snagged up at first due to how much weight it had

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Well done Albert! There’s some of us whom a king on a lure us eluded us even  after decades of fishing! Myself included!

You handled the fish brilliantly. They are nasty fighters indeed.

Something magic happens after cracking a first of a species. Subsequent targets of a certain species suddenly become easier to catch. It’s probably just a confidence thing. Important lesson for other aspects of our lives!

Wouldn’t say brilliantly haha, I should try and target kingfish in lighter outfits next time so I can work my drag better, that first pinky I caught on the jig was already a huge confidence booster as it showed I was doing something right 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 12:22 PM, Green Hornet said:

Way to go Albert!! The little buggers go hard, don’t they.

I really enjoyed your video too and afterwards made me reminisce about my first king many years ago.

Sure go hard green hornet, I would’ve been screwed if he decided to swim down instead of swimming alongside the reef

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 11:38 AM, XD351 said:

Awesome work Albert ! I hope there are many more to come For you !

I think Donna might have to create a new badge just for Derek -Lure Guru!

Well he is a jack of all trades for lures!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 11:45 AM, big Neil said:

Very well done Albert, good to see you putting all your knowledge into the capture and acknowledging the help you had along the way. Keep going, many more exciting days still to come.  bn

Cheers Neil, looking forward to the next time you make a trip down to Sydney 

• Like 1

Well done on a lovely fish, perseverance pays off. I am sure that your next one will be soon. 👍

A word of caution, your mate kept shouting 'tighten the drag'. I have seen this lead to snapped line and lost fish. You should set your drag to however tight you want it before you start fishing then leave it alone when fighting a fish as it's hard to adjust on the fly and you risk making it too tight. Just my opinion 🙂

• Like 4