Adventures with Zoran and Jerry

Yowie

Headed to Zoran's place early on Friday morning, and also met up with Jerry (wrxhoon). Drove to Brooklyn and launched the boat in the fog. Slowly motored to the yakka spot and filled the live bait tank.

Headed out to the FADs and tossed out yakkas for only 1 fish, a 62cm dollie caught by Zoran. Plenty of kingies about, but nothing over 50cm. A decision made to head to a deeper reef, where the livies produced a couple trags in the mid 60's and a small kingie.

A bit quiet there so headed to around the 60 metre mark. This produced flatties up to the low 50's, smaller trags and tailor to the low 40's. Some tailor and trags were released as we had plenty of fish

Though I was hooking up flatties, most of mine dropped off on the retrieve, which had Zoran and Jerry laughing at me and putting shit on me for the poor effort. Just one of those days. I also scored another whaler, close to the metre mark, which was unhooked and released after line tangles.

Back to the ramp near sunset, no photos of the fish, but there was a dozen flatties, half a dozen trags and a few tailor to be cleaned, plus the dolly.

A good day had by all, thank you Zoran, and good to meet up with fellow raider Jerry.

• Like 18

Great report Yeowie !
You got a feed at lest !
Was it glassed out on broken bay ? When I drove across the harbour bridge around 3.30am there wasnโ€™t a ripple on the harbour , I remember thinking how nice it would be to launch my boat and run a few drifts!

6 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Sounds like a very productive outing.

It was a productive time out, more so bottom bashing.

6 hours ago, XD351 said:

Great report Yeowie !
You got a feed at lest !
Was it glassed out on broken bay ? When I drove across the harbour bridge around 3.30am there wasnโ€™t a ripple on the harbour , I remember thinking how nice it would be to launch my boat and run a few drifts!

Plenty of fillets for everybody.

A little bit of bounce earlier on, then the wind dropped later and the swell died off a little, better by late arvo.

43 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great job all of you, definitely worth it.

Well done.

It was worth it, thank you.

• Like 1

Great to read about collaborative fishing ventures on Fishraider. That's what's good about this site, the friendships developed and like-minded souls learning from each other, working things out to achieve the end result. Can't beat it! So you all got some fish for the table and that's a plus too. Shame there were no photos or video this time, maybe next trip. Thanks for the post, bn

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great to read about collaborative fishing ventures on Fishraider. That's what's good about this site, the friendships developed and like-minded souls learning from each other, working things out to achieve the end result. Can't beat it! So you all got some fish for the table and that's a plus too. Shame there were no photos or video this time, maybe next trip. Thanks for the post, bn

Thanks b.n.

Zoran told us early that the go-pro battery was flat, maybe he said that, not expecting to catch much after his last effort.ย ย ๐Ÿคฃ

No photo, it was getting a bit dark, had been a long day (I left home at 4am, returned at 8.30pm)ย 

Plenty of fillets for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Yowie said:

Zoran told us early that the go-pro battery was flat, maybe he said that, not expecting to catch much after his last effort.ย ย ๐Ÿคฃ

Yowie, Yowie, Yowie ... here's a VIDEO ... previously I was being polite and kind, since SOMEONE was not catching much that day. Now I could speculate this was due to the gods bringing Karma and balance to yours and mine performance on the last trip, OR that this was due to some action you took on the day. As I recall, there was a lively discussion on board that SOMEONE for some reason had labelled their hooks that day:ย  "Not for flatties - Only spikeys welcome!" ... a discussion to which SOMEONE's voice replied with some choice words not suitable for a family friendly forumย ๐Ÿซฃย ๐Ÿคฃ. ย 

But regardless, now that you have brought it up I will post below a video of the ONLY dolly caught that day.... by me !

Also, there were a few other adventures that were not mentioned so far ...ย 

1) after a perfect on time 5am start from my place, we drove to the end of the street and turned the corner to find a garbo truck infront of us ...collecting rubbish, bin by bin by bin .... all the way up the street ... how slowly time passes when stuck behind a garbo with your boat hooked up and ready to goooooooo !

2) then once on the water, very low visibility - Fog, Fog, Fog ... we navigated by radar set on low range - seeking obstacles 6m-250m infront ... but it was still a slow trip to West Head.

3) then at West Head we found the livies were super sized ... and very slow on the bite ... some small models in between but slow going overall.

4) then finally once at the FAD, we reversed up, activated Fishpoint (spot lock) and sent the first set of livies in .... only to see braid line floating back from the FAD directly under our boat. Cut the motor super quick and trimmed it up to find a ball of braid wound tight and bunched around the prop.ย  AAAArggghh ๐Ÿ˜ฑ.ย  What to do?ย  We floated around for a good 20min trying to pick at the line with the gaff, with Jerry hanging over the motor slashing at it with a knife, before I made a call to strip to nearly my birthday suit (by coincidence Friday WAS my birthday) and to get in the waterย ๐Ÿฅถย with knife in hand to cut off the bunched line. Never thought I'd be taking a dip 24km offshore - but there you go - life is full of experiences.

So here is the video with us back in action at the FAD ... you will notice I still have wet pants ... and not from excitement or an accident ...ย 

Thanks for a top day ... and there were certainly plenty of fillets for all. How did you find the dollie fillets???ย 

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
content
  • Like 4

Were you guys relating the events from the same trip? Funny how perception affects reality, eh? Seriously you all had a successful day and a ton of fun...once you got all the braid from around the prop. Good stuff braid but not when it comes to being wrapped around the prop and you're offshore some distance.

Keep up the good work. Sounds like your boat is more than capable of handling any conditions, whether it be slow-moving garbage trucks or pea soup fog.

Look forward to the next report on your adventures.

bn

• Like 1

Well Zoran, you told us you had NO video, then mysteriously one appears on here, BUT, only showing you catch one fish (a nice dolly anyway).

As for the braid, very thoughtless of someone to just let 100 to 200 metres of braid float around the FADs, with the ganged hooks still attached. If unable to remove the braid, a boat could just float away unable to use the motor with theย  prop choked up by the braid.

I thought of volunteering to get into the water, however, I did not want to damage your boat or motor with a knife, and, you were the Captain, and, the Captain always goes down with the ship, or boat.ย ย ๐Ÿคฃ

It was not your full birthday suit, you still had your jocks on, which probably saved you from the embarassment of cold water on parts under the jocks.ย 

Regardless, it was still a good day out. Cooking the dolly fillets tonight, so thank you for those.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like it was a long day out with plenty of action! Canโ€™t complain when youโ€™re bringing up flatties and trags! ๐Ÿ‘

Howโ€™d you find the mahi fillets?ย 
ย 

• Like 1

A great report and great to get out with fellow Raiders (wish I was there). Happy birthday for Friday Zoran - great way to spend your day and Never a dull moment on Devocean.ย 
Bummer about the braid - has happened quite a few times to me (getting pretty quick at pulling the prop off, re-greasing and replacing).ย 

• Like 2

Good to see Raiders getting out snd having some fun together. ย What temperature was the water at the FAD. ย Last week the Port Hacking FAD was 22ยฐ.ย 
ย 

Happy birthday for Friday Zoran, taking a swim 20 plus kโ€™s out wouldnโ€™t be my choice way to celebrate it ๐Ÿคฃ.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Larkin said:

Sounds like it was a long day out with plenty of action! Canโ€™t complain when youโ€™re bringing up flatties and trags! ๐Ÿ‘

Howโ€™d you find the mahi fillets?ย 
ย 

It was a long day out.

The dolly tasted like a game fish, not as strong in taste, but quite tasty. My son visited and made a lemon butter sauce which was a good compliment for the dolly steaks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

A great report and great to get out with fellow Raiders (wish I was there). Happy birthday for Friday Zoran - great way to spend your day and Never a dull moment on Devocean.ย 
Bummer about the braid - has happened quite a few times to me (getting pretty quick at pulling the prop off, re-greasing and replacing).ย 

A good time had by all Bob.

8 minutes ago, Welster said:

Good to see Raiders getting out snd having some fun together. ย What temperature was the water at the FAD. ย Last week the Port Hacking FAD was 22ยฐ.ย 
ย 

Happy birthday for Friday Zoran, taking a swim 20 plus kโ€™s out wouldnโ€™t be my choice way to celebrate it ๐Ÿคฃ.

Think a similar temperature at that FAD. Expect the temp to be dropping a little in the near future.

A good day had by all.

I was thinking of taking a photo of Zoran in the water, but he would not have appreciated it, especially after complaining he could not find his jatz crackers as they were hiding somewhere.ย ย :074:

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Welster said:

ย 

Thanks Jasonโ€ฆ it certainly wasnโ€™t what I had planned. Temp 20C all around the FAD โ€ฆ surprisingly the temp at West Head was only 16.9C ๐Ÿฅถ

cheers Z

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Jasonโ€ฆ it certainly wasnโ€™t what I had planned. Temp 20C all around the FAD โ€ฆ surprisingly the temp at West Head was only 16.9C ๐Ÿฅถ

cheers Z

That is Chilly! ย ย 

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

It was a long day out.

The dolly tasted like a game fish, not as strong in taste, but quite tasty. My son visited and made a lemon butter sauce which was a good compliment for the dolly steaks.

We used a lemon butter sauce last week as well, after consulting google.ย 

24 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Sounds like a great day out and probably good that the video was limited as Iโ€™m sure the banter would have been colourful ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

A great day out, the banter was language I have never used before.ย :074:ย Just ask Zoran.

• Haha 1