A touch of wind!!!

JonD

No it wasn't something I ate!!!!!

Been skippering a 6m Edencraft out of Eden down around the Vic border, 60km south. I have two divers on hooka (air supplied from the boat) where my job is keeping the boat from running over the air hoses, cleaning the abalone shells and packing them for live export.

Weather turned grim yesterday with 36kts of southerly and rain making it very difficult to keep up!!!!!

Still plenty of decent sized snapper following the divers around and steady run of humpbacks now moving up the coast. Also been catches of yellowfin by recreational anglers launching from the same ramp.

Geen Cape lighthouse on the run home.

IMG_9135.thumb.jpg.5f2f2076d8a8948b58e0d892c06c02f0.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great photo. Photos usually don’t show how bad the condition’s are really like. It must have been crook.

Yes I was a bit disappointed on how small the sea's looked in the photo to how it really felt onboard. I had tried taking a few images earlier but it was just to hard to and hold on at the same time!!!

2 hours ago, dunc333 said:

great pic .how do you rate the edencraft JonD in that weather  cheers dunc333

It's very good, the owner also owned a formula among several other bigger commercial boats and is always saying this older Eden craft feels the safest boat he's ever owned. Im not as impressed with the new ones.

• Like 1

Jon. At least you were running with it instead of head on to it. It would be very slow running head on to that sort of condition.

Really good photo and thanks for sharing. The edencraft are a very capable boat. Back in around 2010/12 or there about a couple of them were flipped and the gossop about them being a dangerous boat was spread around but I do believe it was driver fault and not the fault of the boats.

Frank

• Like 1

Spent plenty of time at Green Cape light house as we did the refurb of the lighthouse (Concrete repair and replace the channel the lighthouse glass was sitting in and inside / outside the cottages some timber repairs, so replacing the verandah supports and repair / resurfacing the floorboards, including saving every nail which were made by the convicts.

One of the nicer places my employer sent me, except for the extra-large kangaroo who would stay near the generator and scare the proverbial out of you when you had to go and refuel in the dark of winter once the solar batteries ran out.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 4

On 5/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Spent plenty of time at Green Cape light house as we did the refurb of the lighthouse (Concrete repair and replace the channel the glass was sitting in and the cottages and some timber rot, so replacing the verandah supports and resurfacing the floorboards, including saving every nail which were made by the convicts.

One of the nicer places my employer sent me, 

That sounds like interesting work in a nice location. 

Your pictures are always excellent Jon, as are the rest of the families. Mind if I ask where the Abalone is exported to? I used to go spearfishing with a Kiwi guy some 50 years ago and often he would collect some Abalone as we cruised around the shoreline. I never enjoyed eating it but he did.

bn

On 5/21/2023 at 2:31 PM, big Neil said:

Your pictures are always excellent Jon, as are the rest of the families. Mind if I ask where the Abalone is exported to? I used to go spearfishing with a Kiwi guy some 50 years ago and often he would collect some Abalone as we cruised around the shoreline. I never enjoyed eating it but he did.

bn

Mostly China I believe.

Had a huge shock yesterday coming around the corner of Green Cape being confronted by huge NE swells which I have to say were the biggest sea's Ive been in a such a small boat. The crazy thing was that the forecast was stating 0.5, swell and 10-15kts of NW. Made for an incredibly slow run home.