Squidding the Hacking

Gday Raiders,

Todays plan was to go for some squid inside the Hacking while I waited out the wind.

Was hoping for it to drop around 9-10am but other than a slight drop the strong winds persisted all morning. 

Some decent sized squid around - picked up 6 green eye calamari - 3 large eating size and 3 good bait size. Lost a couple more larger ones - but scored a tentacle!

Was using heavier size 4 jigs today as the wind drift was fast and needed to get the jig down.

Had a chat with fellow fishraider @captain74 out on the water.

Wind dropped a little and made the decision to take a run outside and have a look.

As soon as I started heading out, it picked back up again and was a real test for my waterproof winter gear. With largish swells and wind chop, it wasn’t the most comfortable out there.
Tossed over a squid head on a circle, but after an hour only a few bites which felt like smallish snapper stripping the tentacles.
that was me done, and called it a day.

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.fe20c87a6940df6d61d129b3a43765d0.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.38d7f93747e10fb212c1750367bbd5f8.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.e3475311f441524b37a32479132dcc30.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.eacb159610e70bf19ca8bdccea56b72d.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.4c99f7b19a057bf65465d46fba7a6bde.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 15

16 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Nicely done Chris. They are tasty critters for sure. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran!

Might get the barbie cranking tomorrow. Tenderise, slice, score and onto the bbq. Dress with finely sliced chilli, chopped coriander and fresh lime juice, s&p. 😋

1 minute ago, Larkin said:

Thanks Zoran!

Might get the barbie cranking tomorrow. Tenderise, slice, score and onto the bbq. Dress with finely sliced chilli, chopped coriander and fresh lime juice, s&p. 😋

Invite me around, and I will help you eat them. 🤣

Have not been out since the trip out last Friday with Zoran - 3 fish meals and the wife is not happy . She might grow gills :074:

Will give it a go next week.

The surf looked good for a swim, but the wind chill is chilly in and on the water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Invite me around, and I will help you eat them. 🤣

Have not been out since the trip out last Friday with Zoran - 3 fish meals and the wife is not happy . She might grow gills :074:

Will give it a go next week.

The surf looked good for a swim, but the wind chill is chilly in and on the water.

Haha, my wife’s the same… “not fish again”

Good to change up the menu a bit with some squid or crab too. They both go well in a red sauce with linguine - marinara style - some fresh chopped parsley or basil on top and they’ll be asking for seconds!

it’s definitely getting cold out there now - water temps dropping - I’ll leave the swims to you 😂

11 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great looking squid.

Was happy getting a few larger ones.
Good fun catching them!

13 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Fellas, keep the wife/partner happy and show your skills in providing the fish she/he requests!!!

If I ask for flathead I dont wan't kingfish!!!! 
@Yowie your wife MUST have gills. 

Our neighbours are very happy to receive any rejects, even hairtail yuk 

Haha - flathead and blue swimmers are what I get asked to bring.

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Larkin, good chewing and bait. Looking forward to what you will catch with them.

kept the leftovers to make baits - wings ect. Vac sealed and into the freezer.

12 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul.

Great photos.

Well done.

thanks Rebel! 

10 hours ago, Welster said:

Thats a nice result for a windy day and tasty too. 

Thanks Welster, It’s a good back up for when conditions outside aren’t the best.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Gotta love those green eyes - outstanding Kingie (Jewie etc) baits and the hoods are good eating - well done Chris 

thanks Bob, a few big ones about - vac sealed the smaller 3 - kept the wings off the larger ones for bait too. 

10 hours ago, kantong said:

great bag of squiddies!

Thanks Kantong!

9 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Chris, how was the water quality?

Hi Rob, Was happy with the 6 squid.

water wasn’t too bad. Not super clear, but no floating weed, which was good.

7 hours ago, papafish said:

Very nice. Can I ask, where you squidded, is the accessible land base? Thx

Hi Papafish, where I caught these they were not in casting distance from the shore.

• Thanks 1