Floating line for Luderick

XD351

G’day Raiders,

With some reports of Luderick coming in and the Flathead season all but over I now want to turn my attention to Luderick- a fish I haven’t chased for a while . I used to used Mucilin line floatant and found it worked fine but I would like to try a floating mono line , I had a search on the forum and there were a few posts about it but the most recent I could find was 2019. I can get  Sunline brand through a few stores or some Japanese brands through an ISO store ,brands like Gosen , Marafuji,Charisma etc but I have never heard of these brands so I was wondering if anyone here has used any of them ? I was also thinking of maybe using braid treated with a floatant like mucilin or possibly soaking in a silicone spray ( I think madness might be setting in ) anyhow any thoughts ?

Edited by XD351

I am certainly no expert when it comes to Blackfishing, but I just use normal old mono, none of this floating business, I do like catching them on fly though....never used a weed fly.

• Like 1

The two places I do most of my Blackfishing is just made for flyfishing, both from sand or easy rocks, and when using weed I tend to only go when they are "on" or biting in worms so my inept skills get covered by the abundance of fish.......on fly, I just burley with bread and use a bread fly. I do like eating the big ones though.

• Like 1

If you are interested then suggest we meet up. We can use the same weed flies on a classic rig.

Interested as to why you need the floating line. I use just mono for this style of fishing with a spinning rod or a floating line and strike indicator with a fly rod.

• Like 1

HI 

Do a search for -Sun Line II- this is the best for Blackfishing .The big MO shop has it or try your local tackle guy.  This is a float line.Also there is 

Dango Wax float line brand . 

Edited by Pafisho08
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DerekD said:

If you are interested then suggest we meet up. We can use the same weed flies on a classic rig.

Interested as to why you need the floating line. I use just mono for this style of fishing with a spinning rod or a floating line and strike indicator with a fly rod.

I use a floating mono or mucilin applied to standard mono , this is so when the float drifts along the line sits on the surface and makes it easier to mend the line and when I get a down the line lifts off the surface easily and quickly - some spots the drift is up to 20m or so out from the rod tip  , if I’m fishing off a wharf I don’t need the floating line . When the line sinks between the rod tip and float and I strike a fish the sunken line tends to pull down or sideways on the float not up , this makes setting the hook much harder . I was thinking of using a weed fly on a conventional Luderick rig when weed is hard to come by - just a backup really , I currently have to drive from near Penrith to the northern beaches to get weed and cabbage from the rocks - this turns what should be a nice simple Luderick session into a mission if I want to fish anywhere other than Narrabeen lagoon or Pittwater. I’m also looking into some of the ISO fishing techniques to see if there is anything there that could be useful , I was watching Shroom catch yakkas on tiny soft plastics and it made me wonder what other fishing techniques the Japanese have been hiding from me 🤣

7 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI 

Do a search for -Sun Line II- this is the best for Blackfishing .The big MO shop has it or try your local tackle guy.  This is a float line.Also there is 

Dango Wax float line brand . 

Will do mate! All my local stores are big chain stores that seem to sell more garbage than real fishing gear ! The ISO fishing store is not that far from me and I can pick up from there saving $10 postage . I have a can of silicone spray around here somewhere and want to try soaking a short length of braid in it to see if it works also - just for s#*ts and giggles 🤣

I used the floating Sunline for a while, but had a few problems with random breakages.
I now use Dango float line and have not had a problem, though I must add it handles much better on a centerpin with a round spool rather than a spoked one, such as an Avon. The Dango also seems to float higher on the water than the Sunline giving better hook sets, particularly on long drifts.  
Prior I’d used regular mono and Vaseline for many years and find the Dango much better to fish with.  
I should add, it seems braid is becoming more popular amongst luderick fishers as well. I used it when I still used to fish long drifts off the ocean rocks and though it took some getting used to, striking too hard and snapping 6lb leaders, it floated and performed well. You just had to let the bend in the rod deal with the fish’s lunges rather than the stretch mono offers.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3

I'm a Dango Float user, others I fish with use the Sunline.

I notice the other guys Sunline tend to start sinking after a few uses, they either use musclin or cut off a few meters.

I liked to old Dango Wax more than the newer Dango Float, which has more memory.

It's not a problem on my centrepins, but definitely notice it in on the missus's eggbeater.  Though it may just be that she doesn't use hers that much anymore.

stu.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, XD351 said:

I use a floating mono or mucilin applied to standard mono , this is so when the float drifts along the line sits on the surface and makes it easier to mend the line and when I get a down the line lifts off the surface easily and quickly - some spots the drift is up to 20m or so out from the rod tip  , if I’m fishing off a wharf I don’t need the floating line . When the line sinks between the rod tip and float and I strike a fish the sunken line tends to pull down or sideways on the float not up , this makes setting the hook much harder . I was thinking of using a weed fly on a conventional Luderick rig when weed is hard to come by - just a backup really , I currently have to drive from near Penrith to the northern beaches to get weed and cabbage from the rocks - this turns what should be a nice simple Luderick session into a mission if I want to fish anywhere other than Narrabeen lagoon or Pittwater. I’m also looking into some of the ISO fishing techniques to see if there is anything there that could be useful , I was watching Shroom catch yakkas on tiny soft plastics and it made me wonder what other fishing techniques the Japanese have been hiding from me 🤣

Will do mate! All my local stores are big chain stores that seem to sell more garbage than real fishing gear ! The ISO fishing store is not that far from me and I can pick up from there saving $10 postage . I have a can of silicone spray around here somewhere and want to try soaking a short length of braid in it to see if it works also - just for s#*ts and giggles 🤣

you could always try green peas

• Like 1

Mate, I just use  8 to10lb mono 6lb fluro leader, runninig float & a 7' light rod with size 8 to 10 hooks plus the splint sinkers etc. Works for me.

There are some good posts on the forum. You will have to go way back to find them.

Cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I used the floating Sunline for a while, but had a few problems with random breakages.
I now use Dango float line and have not had a problem, though I must add it handles much better on a centerpin with a round spool rather than a spoked one, such as an Avon. The Dango also seems to float higher on the water than the Sunline giving better hook sets, particularly on long drifts.  
Prior I’d used regular mono and Vaseline for many years and find the Dango much better to fish with.  
I should add, it seems braid is becoming more popular amongst luderick fishers as well. I used it when I still used to fish long drifts off the ocean rocks and though it took some getting used to, striking too hard and snapping 6lb leaders, it floated and performed well. You just had to let the bend in the rod deal with the fish’s lunges rather than the stretch mono offers.

Thanks Green Hornet ! 
This is the sort of info I was looking for ! I grew up using the Vaseline trick - we didn’t have anything else , then I discovered Mucilin and it was heaps better than Vasso but one day the heat softened it and it leaked out of the container and I never replaced it . I don’t want to fork out a pile of cash for a line that causes me grief - will be using an alvey Luderick special with either my Snyder mag bream or alvey 55 estuary special , both fairly soft tipped rods . I will have a look at the Dango brand as well .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burger said:

I'm a Dango Float user, others I fish with use the Sunline.

I notice the other guys Sunline tend to start sinking after a few uses, they either use musclin or cut off a few meters.

I liked to old Dango Wax more than the newer Dango Float, which has more memory.

It's not a problem on my centrepins, but definitely notice it in on the missus's eggbeater.  Though it may just be that she doesn't use hers that much anymore.

stu.

Thanks Burger !

I was wondering how reliable the line would be in regards to how long it will keep floating ,I will be using an alvey Luderick special . If I can get away with braid I would be stoked coz I have heaps of it laying around ,it has no memory or springiness like some brands of mono - I used to use Maxima evergreen or Platypus super 100 as they are supple lines .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, XD351 said:

will be using an alvey Luderick special with either my Snyder mag bream or alvey 55 estuary special

Mag Bream's a bloody good rod, I have one for off the rocks 👍  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Burger said:

Mag Bream's a bloody good rod, I have one for off the rocks 👍  

Me too. I’ve actually got two, one on a standard 136 inch blank and another extended to 12’4”.

@XD351 these are the rods I fished braid off and they soft enough in the tip to handle it well. For the record, I used 14lb Fireline and 30lb Duel Hardcore X8 which didn’t need floatant unless the water was super turbulent.

• Like 2

I built mine oh i dunno it would have to be getting close to 30 yrs ago and use it with my 5 inch alveys. I went through a phase of using long rods out of boats and it used to drive everyone else in the boat nuts - one mate banned it from his boat because I caught more fish than he did 🤣🤣🤣. He never did work out why and I wasn’t telling him ! It came down to how much line I could pick up when striking which helped when there was a bit of current and the line was bowing - they were all using 6-7 ft rods . It could do with a nosh up now as the bindings and epoxy are showing their age , I gave a heap of rods to a mate a few years back but I couldn’t ever part with the mag bream - that one is going to the grave with me !

I have some x4 platypus braid here that I will investigate as it does float quite well .

• Like 2

I have only been the occasional ludric fisherman,  but i used to fish with a gun fisho that made his own floatant made with a 50/550 mix of vaseline and lamb fat.  Don't know why but just passing an old method on.  Ron 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 4:08 PM, XD351 said:

G’day Raiders,

With some reports of Luderick coming in and the Flathead season all but over I now want to turn my attention to Luderick- a fish I haven’t chased for a while . I used to used Mucilin line floatant and found it worked fine but I would like to try a floating mono line , I had a search on the forum and there were a few posts about it but the most recent I could find was 2019. I can get  Sunline brand through a few stores or some Japanese brands through an ISO store ,brands like Gosen , Marafuji,Charisma etc but I have never heard of these brands so I was wondering if anyone here has used any of them ? I was also thinking of maybe using braid treated with a floatant like mucilin or possibly soaking in a silicone spray ( I think madness might be setting in ) anyhow any thoughts ?

Been using Charisma floating line for the past 5 years without any issues. like with any other line everyone should check for scuffs and nicks after a good tussle!

Just some of the fish I’ve cause using a iso setup and this line

3FA966F7-C9E7-4D5D-96F1-8C984FB6F94D.jpeg

178F7D62-3336-476E-A082-78926D3EE1A7.jpeg

Edited by Little_Flatty
Removed link to retailer
  • Like 3

Thanks Whiskey 299! That was the line I was looking at and from the same supplier ! If you have had no problems in 5 yrs that is more than enough proof of its quality for me !
Looks like I have some thinking to do !