Friday 14th - 12 Mile Kingfish

dlvbw

Hey Raiders,

With some seriously good boating weather last week, I headed out with my youngest, @REELCRAZY and @Fishaholic last Friday for a quick morning session. Launched at 530am and by 645am had collected plenty of liveys around middle head, interestingly with the assistance of a squid light which allowed us to get a bite going before first light. 

We pointed the boat SE and headed to 12 mile (24 clicks offshore). Trip was uneventful but a little bumpier than I was hoping for due to a decent breeze. Got out to the reef and there were half a dozen or so boats drifting about. Initially we dropped jigs and Ev managed to boat a couple of rats on the Gomoku jig stick. I was jigging heavy and only had one hit and no hook up. Boats around us were generally jigging and it looked to be mostly rats coming aboard. A couple of charters also doing the laps. My boy also got a fat bonnie from midwater on a jig. 

When we needed a break from jigging we deployed livies and to our astonishment they were pretty much untouched or stolen without a decent hookup. It was also clear there were a few jackets about as we lost a little gear. 

Third plan was to put down a couple of big squid baits from a squid caught a few days prior. Turned out to be the difference. First bait got smashed with minutes, no hook up. 2nd and 3rd baits resulted in two nice fish 70 and 75cm fish and the fourth got smashed with no hook up. Unfortunately that was the squid gone........ Even so, we had a pretty happy boat and my boy got his first fish jigging.

Headed back in around 1130 in total glamour conditions wishing we had time to drift for a few flatties. Passed a couple of families of whale on the way just to cap off the morning, 

Overall another excellent day on the water.

Cheers

Dimage.thumb.jpeg.3b89f816423fe1d3b6adf26f9c80c88b.jpeg

• Like 18

If I could double like I would!  Doesn’t get better than that enjoying the outdoors with family and friends with a catch to boot.
@Larkin shared the bigger kings were playing at 12mile on Thursday- that’s fishing I guess .. a day makes all the difference. But you’ll never know unless you give it a go.

We live in gods country and need to  fight to keep it that way. 

Thanks for posting. 
cheers Zoran 

Well done picking up a couple @dlvbw

switching to squid when they’re not taking anything else definitely works well as long as it’s fresh stuff you’ve caught yourself.

Was a quieter day on Friday from what  my mate told me. He was the guy out there on the JetSki. 
He did manage to get a nice 97cm king on a large yakka.

42 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done picking up a couple @dlvbw

switching to squid when they’re not taking anything else definitely works well as long as it’s fresh stuff you’ve caught yourself.

Was a quieter day on Friday from what  my mate told me. He was the guy out there on the JetSki. 
He did manage to get a nice 97cm king on a large yakka.

Ahhhh right. Yeah we were fishing pretty close to a couple of guys on jet skis. Good to hear they got a solid king. We would have liked to fish the 11am tide change but had to head back in to get to work. There have been reports of metreys out there so we will keep trying (yet to land one of this size on my boat). Long way on a jet ski!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

If I could double like I would!  Doesn’t get better than that enjoying the outdoors with family and friends with a catch to boot.
@Larkin shared the bigger kings were playing at 12mile on Thursday- that’s fishing I guess .. a day makes all the difference. But you’ll never know unless you give it a go.

We live in gods country and need to  fight to keep it that way. 

Thanks for posting. 
cheers Zoran 

Cheers mate! Yeah. We will get a metrey soon! I am sure!

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great read and awesome to see the young guy get into the offshories👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks Rob. One boy absolute loves it, the other goes green as soon as you turn the motor off. Working on sea sickness for him but haven't found a 100% solution yet! 

Might need some squid tips at some point.....need to improve my skills (and likely patience).

3 hours ago, dlvbw said:

One boy absolute loves it, the other goes green as soon as you turn the motor off. Working on sea sickness for him but haven't found a 100% solution yet! 

Hmmm ... that can be a bummer for the little chap... how old is he Dunc? You've probably searched the forum ... here's what I posted previously. 

Best wishes you find something.

Cheers Z

Good report and top photo. My 10 y.o. gets a bit green too, the Kwells kids version works well for him, he pops one just after we've launched so gives it a bit of time to get to work before we get out and about to much.