Cooking on board

fredflathead

I have been following Hairtail fishing on their site and some people are cooking at the rear of the boat on a small gas canister stowe. Has anyone ever done this and what are the hazards like going to the big fishing place in the sky? It has got me curious how there do it. 

• Like 1

No different from cooking on a camping trip only you have water under you instead of dirt.

The small portable stoves with butane canisters are very safe these days and if you have your wits about you all is good, just make sure the stove is pretty level and the saucepan or whatever you are using is firmly sitting comfortably.

Gas BBQ's are very popular and are fitted to all house boats etc .

For a quick easy snack you can have a couple of frankferts in a thermos flask, a couple of slices of bread some fried onion and capsicum and you have a great hot dog.

Frank 

• Like 5

I have done it many times.  I set up my previous boat (Haines) with a cooking station - a hinged ply platform that clipped to the gunnel and folded out - this had ceramic tiles glued to it. It was positioned well away from the fuel breather.

Here’s a short video  

I have also seen commercially available bbq platforms that slot into a rod holder. 
Just follow basic fire safety (operate in well ventilated area), place on fire proof surface and be mindful of your boats dimensions and where the fuel breather is. Also needles to say, the boats fuel system needs to be well maintained- no buildup of vapour !!!
Cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

Having said all of the above, on the new boat I have gone all electric in the cooking department. 
I have multiple 12v outlets (cig and Andersen) to run a 12V kettle and a mounted hardwired TravelBuddy oven which goes to 190C. 
I am also looking at a 2000W  12V to 240V inverter - IKEA are selling a 1000W induction cooktop for around $60. Instant heat for cooking and instantly cold when switched off. There is even a 240V 1000W air fryer on the market - hot chips anywhere !!!
The price of electronic options has really come down… and now I feel are a viable option for those concerned with having naked flame aboard. 
But again a big part in this decision process is the size of the vessel and how often will you be cooking on the water. 
Buon appetite!

cheers Zoran 

ps - cooking on board also requires you to think about transport and storage of the associated equipment- heat proof surface on which to place hot pans/utensils, rubbish, extra water, plates, cups, oil condiments etc. 
As Frank said- it’s camping on the water. 
That’s why we now prefer preparing at home and reheating on the water. It’s more practical and leaves more time for fishing. 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Having said all of the above, on the new boat I have gone all electric in the cooking department. 
I have multiple 12v outlets (cig and Andersen) to run a 12V kettle and a mounted hardwired TravelBuddy oven which goes to 190C. 
I am also looking at a 2000W  12V to 240V inverter - IKEA are selling a 1000W induction cooktop for around $60. Instant heat for cooking and instantly cold when switched off. There is even a 240V 1000W air fryer on the market - hot chips anywhere !!!
The price of electronic options has really come down. 
But again a big part in this decision process is the size of the vessel and how often will you be cooking on the water. 
Buon appetite!

cheers Zoran 

What's all this Zoran?

You are supposed to be fishing, not partying. Next you will have a cocktail waiter serving martinis. :074:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Yowie said:

What's all this Zoran?

You are supposed to be fishing, not partying. Next you will have a cocktail waiter serving martinis. :074:

Hahaha .... nothing wrong with being comfortable. Maria loves to cook ... so the basic cooking items were on her inclusion list for the new boat ! ... I can tell you once you've had your  first hot pie, with generous helping of tomato sauce at twelve mile, or when the family is out whale watching and you reheat those pizza slices .. there's no looking back on the decision. 😋😋😋

image.thumb.png.781fb8cc7856c0b61d0da62686f33c5a.png

Enjoy !!

PS - include a fridge freezer for the martinis and coldies 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have used the throw away canister type for years , mine was stored in a ply box that also gave me a heat resistant surface to use the stove on. One morning at bantry bay I pulled my little polycraft into the bay to cook up a feed , here I was nestled between two giant cruisers ,cooking away while the richies sat up there eating their muesli staring down at me  but I didn’t mind and had a bit of a laugh to myself as I ploughed into my bacon and egg roll - I knew they were dying inside :074:

There is at least one of those stoves out at browns mountain - my mate was cooking on a game boat and the stove caught fire , it went over the side along with lunch :074:

I’m not sure how a Weber q would go in a boat though as when you lift the lid there is nothing stopping ya snag rolling of the grill ,probably ok in a calm bay. I don’t use the grill in my Weber at home, I heat up a cast iron skillet in it and cook in that with a splash tray over the skillet- I do everything like this even shallow fry my fish . The splash cover keeps the inside of the Weber much cleaner .

These days I don’t bother , I have returned to an old favourite - cold KFC.

Edited by XD351
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, fredflathead said:

Thanks for the replies, I have a 12v kettle for coffee and I like Franks idea of the frankfurts in the thermos

There’s a lot to be said for keeping it simple 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hahaha .... nothing wrong with being comfortable. Maria loves to cook ... so the basic cooking items were on her inclusion list for the new boat ! ... I can tell you once you've had your  first hot pie, with generous helping of tomato sauce at twelve mile, or when the family is out whale watching and you reheat those pizza slices .. there's no looking back on the decision. 😋😋😋

image.thumb.png.781fb8cc7856c0b61d0da62686f33c5a.png

Enjoy !!

PS - include a fridge freezer for the martinis and coldies 

Can you please come and show my local pizza shop how to make pizzas like yours 🤤🤤🤤

Or you can just take one of these “disposable” bbq’s with you so you don’t need to cart it back home.

SeeIMG_0517.thumb.jpeg.fed1383325c935ac026d11af59c39bb1.jpeg, I’m clever and not just a pretty face after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

Can you please come and show my local pizza shop how to make pizzas like yours 🤤🤤🤤

Just tell them …

What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect?
What-a you t'ink you do, why you’re pizza so bad !!!

ooops sorry… that should be in the other Australiana music post !

cheers Z

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, frankS said:

No different from cooking on a camping trip only you have water under you instead of dirt.

The small portable stoves with butane canisters are very safe these days and if you have your wits about you all is good, just make sure the stove is pretty level and the saucepan or whatever you are using is firmly sitting comfortably.

Gas BBQ's are very popular and are fitted to all house boats etc .

For a quick easy snack you can have a couple of frankferts in a thermos flask, a couple of slices of bread some fried onion and capsicum and you have a great hot dog.

Frank 

I think the issue is more that you have a naked flame in proximity to a large amount of petrol in a confined space. A 12V electric set up is inherently safer.  

In all seriousness when we use to go out fishing at 4am and come home at 10pm we would pack(mrs would pack) that much food,drinks and munchies no one would go hungry.

it’s to easy just to pull out a nice chicken and mayo roll etc and eat while you fish instead of fluffing about making hot food.

I have a one burner gas and Weber ga charcoal in boat that I have used many times from shore only after beaching boat.

Obviously you can’t do that at sea.The risk vs reward cooking with gas burners or charcoal on the water isn’t worth it although possible.

Its Electric like Zoran has said if I were to go that way but even then I couldn’t be bothered as I would want to chill and fish letting the world pass me by.

Some great options out there these days if you have the space, will and inclination to try them.

Ps. Don’t ask me how to cook fish on board as I’m still at the trying to catch stage and yes I blame that bloody @Yowie.😂😂😂

I’m going to put a gps on my boat so it doesn’t get lost remembering how to get to the water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I also use the portable single burner camping stove.

I put a wet rag down on the cutting board, so the stove won't slide around and because they do push a little heat out the bottom.

Although I am usually well and truly in calm water at the end of the day on an overnighter.

I get the gas and naked flame concern, but up on the cutting board it is well and truly ventilated.

Cheers

Jim

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

This bloke has the ideal set up.IMG_0516.jpeg.928b19be8088eed0005c41619b588e0e.jpeg

FFS. What is going on?

What is wrong with a muesli bar and an apple? Cannot burn yourself, cannot blow up the boat, won't miss that fish bite. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Yowie said:

FFS. What is going on?

What is wrong with a muesli bar and an apple? Cannot burn yourself, cannot blow up the boat, won't miss that fish bite. 🤣

Exactly. It's like beer - save the hot food for when you get home. I like coke and Shapes (savoury biscuits), when outside fishing. Seems to settle the stomach too. I'll throw in a Mars Bar or Picnic as well. 

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

FFS. What is going on?

Agreed, but I think most of us that do this are doing an overnight camping trips on the boat... and a muesli bar for dinner and a cold thermos coffee in the morning just won't hit the spot. LOL!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

FFS. What is going on?

Keeps you regular too🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

@fredflathead it just occurred to me that I missed out on commenting about "reheating" food options onboard which is a lot simpler in many ways than "cooking".  The best, simplest and probably cheapest units I have found that works is one of these (I use it on the boat and in the car).  Retails for about $60 (but you can find them for $40) in all the three letter stores, the big snake store and also online. 

image.thumb.png.8c76011b75fbc8afa07d4093d6311f3c.png

It wont crisp things but it will get them piping hot as it warms up to about 120C !!!!   It will take 2 of these foil trays (8x5x2in) and if you cover them with a lid, you can stack the trays to warm at the same time - just rotate them around as the heat source is at the bottom. 

image.thumb.png.af4cd4f371bac30ab874924fcefbf3e0.png

image.thumb.png.53ab79f762338bd5e3c464c19ca88b61.png

The unit will also cook some stuff from scratch - eg I had a go at cooking some corn cobs ! ... but it took a while !

image.png.190c018ec142f734398552d362c2140b.png

If you youtube this stove (12V portable stove) - you will find a lot of truckers use them and even post their recipes !!!

Stay warm ... fish longer ... I say.  (Which is probably why @Fab1 is not into fluffing about making hot food onboard 😂)

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1