Surprising Things You Take Fishing

JustJames

Following on from big Neil's thread on "So what's you favourite type of fishing..." thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what surprising/unusual things Raiders take fishing.  Mine are boat-based but I am also interested to know what land based Raiders and yakkers take fishing.

Mine is a pair of bolt cutters when I am on the boat (until yesterday I thought I was alone in this).  They are there because if I ever get a hook or worse yet, a treble, stuck in my person I figure cutting it will make removal of the rest easier.  And if I can't remove the rest of the hook/treble, I figure it will be less uncomfortable.

I also have the Sabikinator 9000, which is really just a length of electrical conduit with a cheap reel cable tied to it, and a slot so that I can reel sabiki lures into the inside of it instead of having them get tangled and hooked onto everything else nearby.

Possibly not so unusual, I have an inordinately large number of caps on the boat.  Whenever I can, I remove floating litter (which to date has yielded me many, many caps, a half full bottle of Nifti and a pool noodle).  The caps get put through the washing machine and then kept on the boat as just-in-case caps.

Over to you...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

I asked my mate once why he bothered to take bait and ice for the esky

Plenty of time the ice bricks I take with me come home melted and lonely, so sadly I can relate . . . .

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Burger said:

Plenty of time the ice bricks I take with me come home melted and lonely, so sadly I can relate . . . .

Happened to me last trip , I just looked on the bright side - I didn’t have to clean the esky or any fish 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

I'm a bit gob-smacked when I say this, but in my observation, so few landbased lure fishos carry a landing net. I get it - we do need to stay mobile, but there's so many fish I wouldn't have landed if I didn't carry one! I carry a telescopic net in a belt mounted holster these days.

The net problem has become an obsession of mine:

• Like 4

Most of my landbased is wharf or breakwall now so you need enough line strength to "pole" them up. There was one thing I found useful when beach fishing with my bream stick a few weeks ago. I took a fairly tall but fairly narrow plastic bucket to store my catch. Wasn't needed for that (unfortunately) but when I was re-baiting I found that I could drop the rod in the bucket butt first and keep everything out of the sand.

Wouldn't work with a beach rod.

Not really unusual but more an unusual use that I have now discovered.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rebel said:

Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!

That should be mandatory, not unusal.

Nothing like a hot coffee and a croissant (or similar) with jam in the early morning cool.

I know from the recent 'cooking on board' thread that there are those for whom a handful of gravel and a mug of sea water is an adequate fishing snack, but I am not one of them!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Used to enjoy a cup of tea and some scotch finger bikkies for morning tea , there was always cold kfc for lunch, back then brekkie was either nothing or on rare occasions  a pie from the bakery on the way to the ramp . These days it is usually bacon and eggs or maccas on the way  , a thermos full of coffee, then kfc later on . I gave up on making sandwiches, too much fiddling around for my liking - i like to get out of bed and only have to worry about sticking the bait and ice blocks in the esky along with the kfc , stuff my face with B&E and go , it only takes a minute to make the coffee and while i do all that the bacon and eggs are frying away so from the time my feet hit the floor till i drive off is usually less than 20 min .

One thing i did need last trip as it was dark when i launched was a head torch , the lighting in my boat is minimal and i had to use the little torch on the end of my UV light to rig up - pia! A head torch is now residing permanently in my carry on bag . I also left my sunnies and hat at home last trip so a second set also resides in my boat permanently.

• Like 4

Good topic JustJames. My favourite type of fishing happens in Summer when it's usually baking hot. I have a bimini for the boat but never use it because it is too obstructive. So to facilitate that decision I take extra water, food, block out, lip balm, a hat, and a change of shorts and top...as occasionally I have cooled off with a swim. I always take too many lures as I inevitably use just a couple. I always have spare leader as it would be rare not to lose some lures and tackle. Other essential gear includes a large landing net and an extendable lure retrieval pole. I keep a small amount of two stroke oil in the boat because I don't want to buy a new one when I get petrol for the boat. Helps to remember to put it in when the oil is right next to the fuel tank.

Being an old fart and suffering from numerous ailments, I always take toilet paper and my mobile phone...sun screen on and lip balm applied very regularly. Mustn't forget the insect repellant as the mozzies can be savage in the Summer, especially sunrise and sunset.

As well as the bungs I always make sure the kill switch is securely affixed and attached to my wrist when under way.

So, as you can see, I plan for the worst-case scenario and hope it never happens.

bn

• Like 3

Reminds me of the old joe the gadget man ads - bring ya money with ya !

Bring ya dunny paper with ya :074:

Never forget to take a roll of Kenny Boggins with you 😱

Edited by XD351
  • Haha 1

Nothing particularly surprising in my gear loadout. Because a lot of my fishing involves solo hikes out of mobile reception, I try to prepare for every contingency. Any where I fish or am likely to fish I take my 'Fishing Backpack'... a 3L Camelbak Mule. In the pack are: PLB, Snake bite kit, headlamp, cap, polarized sunnies, spool of line, muesli bars, and my fishing license. Depending on the length of the hike a dunny roll may be stuffed in the top. In an external pocket is a brag mat. Magneted to the top of the pack is my landing net with a safety cord from the handle carabinered to a belt loop. On my belt is a Leatherman Wave, and often a machete.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Depending on the length of the hike a dunny roll may be stuffed in the top.

I take a roll of dunny paper with me when i go to the letterbox - don’t leave home with out it :074:

• Haha 3

I keep lots of stuff I might need “just in case” 🤣. I can’t bring myself to remove it all every time I try, because of murphy’s law! I always have my kitchen box on board. Mainly make coffees. But if I catch a fish, I cook it on the spot as I don’t like freezing fish I catch. I also keep some buoyancy aids that I can strap down in the boat if I get caught in really ruff stuff, sort of turning it into an inflatable. I haven’t had to use this yet 🤯

• Like 2