The Great Weather Question

Mike from DECKEE

The Great Weather Question  

31 members have voted

1. 1. The forecast states there is a 20% chance of rain for your region. Does this mean:

• There is a 20% chance that your entire region will get rain, based on the conditions of similar days
    • 20% of your region is certain to get rain
    • Your entire region is certain to get rain for 20% of the forecasted time period
    • There is a 20% chance that at least some part of your region will get rain
    • At least some part of your region will get rain, for 20% of the forecasted time period
    • Something else

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I like my method, go outside and have a look.

I prefer my method.Yell out from my warm bed to the mrs and say…”honey, what’s it look like outside?”.Then roll over and keep💤💤💤💤

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

I like the Hourly rain forecast - like google.

% chance of rain for that time period in my selected area.

%5 I’m going fishing. 40% I’m probably staying home.

When retired, you can pick the best day of the week to go, and therefore miss the rain and wind and swell (well, nearly)

• Like 4

I use my own weather station, located just outside my back door when I need to determine whether to go fishing or to bowls. It consists of an odd-shaped smooth-surfaced rock, hanging freely on a string.

If I touch it and it is wet...rain

If I touch it and it's dry...no rain

If it's swaying around...windy

If it's perfectly motionless...no wind

If it's warm to the touch...hot day

If it's cool to the touch...cool day

Cheapest and most accurate weather device ever, I'd be lost without it.

bn

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Local weather is a pretty interesting thing, coming from a long time fishing family, you get pretty good at “guessing/predicting” what’s going on from weather maps, (like meteorologists do) if you look at the maps daily and take note of how they affect your area, you get good at predicting bad weather, and these mythical “storm out of nowhere” are no longer a mystery, there is always “clues” but most people just don’t see them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Local weather is a pretty interesting thing, coming from a long time fishing family, you get pretty good at “guessing/predicting” what’s going on from weather maps, (like meteorologists do) if you look at the maps daily and take note of how they affect your area, you get good at predicting bad weather, and these mythical “storm out of nowhere” are no longer a mystery, there is always “clues” but most people just don’t see them.

I remember back, long before the internet, buying the Telegraph just for the weather map.

For us fishos and surfies that was our bible, along with other visual clues we learnt from the old salts that I still use today and are more reliable than any forecast.

• Like 2

there was a time when the weather reports were much more accurate , these days its anyones guess , anything less then 80%   has been proven wrong  at one time or another , so 20% chance means                     There is a 20% chance that at least some part of your region will get rain                     and then aqain  maybe there will be no rain at all anywhere .